medusa

Wing suit flyer.. Height 6`6 feet – Weight 160 Pounds

Hi guys

I’m trying to talk my friend into starting to Skydive and then become a Wing Suit Flyer. ;)

I been telling him about the HUGE advantage he will have because of his height and weight. He is a basket ball player really atelic and fast.

He thinks I’m just playing with him, so I told him that I was going to make a little post about him to see what you guys think.

Height 6`6 Feet
Weight 160 Pounds

He is going to be checking this post so please tell him what you think.:o

Cya
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

Come on Medusa...admit it...we all already know YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS!!!!:D:D:D

There are some BIG guys flocking that can fly the shit outta their suits....of course it may take hundreds of jumps, ass loads of money, LOTS of beer...oh wait...those are GOOD things aren't they??

It's hard to put into words what the entire skydiving experience can bring to someone's life...but it IS life altering. It IS life!B|

Short (5'4") and light (100lbs) whips tall (6'6") and heavy. (160lbs)

I'm not convinced that's true in the general case. Shall we embark on an analysis?

Lift is proportional to the square of an airfoil's area =~ 4th power of height
drag is proportional to area =~ square of height
glide is lift over drag
so we have the proportional effect of height on glide is height squared, no?

What is the effect of mass on the lift to drag ratio?

drag increases with the square of velocity
lift increases with the square of velocity
so the effect of mass is approximately nothing on the glide ratio (this is a famous topic on this board, no?). Although it makes the terminal velocity faster.

All in all, we get that the height advantage should carry. Agree or disagree?

I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible at physics and aerodynamics, please criticize if I made a mistake.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Guys

I´m trying to encourage this guy not to get him confused!! :D

I love how I can argue about something. ;)

I only hope yuribase don´t find this post. He will keep typing boring equations for hours. :S

Cya
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

Flying a wingsuit...its not about numbers...

Its about being hooked on a feeling!

Listen Mic, Micalobe, Jarno or whatever, you are right its about that undescribable feeling and not numbers, but one more post like that and 50% of out viewers will quit the WS and take up skysurfing. So keep that hasselove to yourself and the rest of your "frankie goes to hollywood" posse.

Agree or disagree?

Disagree.

Q. How many biological flying creatures are there that weigh 160lbs?
A. Zero

"Heaviest Flying Birds

The Kori Bustard or paauw (Ardeotis Kori) of northeast and southern Africa and the great bustard (Otis tarda) of Europe and Asia weigh about 40-42 pounds. There is a report of a 46 lb. 4 oz. male great bustard shot in northeastern China. It was too heavy to fly."

http://www.victorialodging.com/birding/small_big_fast_slow.htm

Of course, the lighter you are, the easier it is to fly, to the extent that bits of dirt (dust) are easy to see suspended in a sunbeam longer than you or I or any wingsuit pilot can fly, with no aerodynamics or skill what so ever.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Q. How many biological flying creatures are there that weigh 160lbs?
A. Zero

But birds have to carry their own weight to height and they have to eat food to get that energy. Not quite true for WS flights, making the observation useless.

If the longest distance is the goal, I'd imaging having a density close to the air's is best... At least according to seeds... ;)