LouDiamond

AN-72 Boogie FAQ

AN-72 Boogie Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q. Where and when is the An-72 Boogie?

A. The An -72 boogie will be held in Cochstedt, Germany 3-8 July 2007
Maps of the DZ and surrounding area can be found here.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=75631;

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=75632;

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=75633;
Google kzm file:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=75638;

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=cochstedt%2C%20Germany&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Q. How do I register and what is the cost?

A. The official website for the boogie is www.mdskydive.de. Price is to be announced but last years registration was 40€ (this euro amount is subject to change and is only used as an example).

Q. How much are jumps? How many jumps can I expect to make?

A. Last years jump prices were 27,50€. Exit altitude was usually 16,000 + feet AGL. If you are jumping with the organized wing suit groups plan on making a minimum of 6 jumps a day. (This euro amount is subject to change and is only used as an example).

Q. What is the needed experience level to attend?

A. The event organizers ask for a minimum of 100 jumps. To attend the wing suit portion there is no minimum wing suit jump number requirement, it is open to all skill levels. However we ask that all participants be able to demonstrate basic wing suit safety procedures and to fly safely in the sky with other wing suits.

Q. What about traveling with my rig?

A. Either checking your rig in your luggage or hand carrying is an option. If you decide to hand carry your rig make sure you check with the airline company before hand as some of the European carriers have stricter rules on carry on size luggage and permissible luggage weights. It is also a good idea to have all of your USPA licenses/documents, Vigil/Cypress X-ray card and the TSA letter with you if you decide to hand carry your rig. Additional information can be found at the USPA web site and the TSA web site listed below.
http://www.uspa.org/news/current_news/carryons.htm
http://www.uspa.org/news/images/TSA_ltr_to_USPA.pdf
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1147.shtm

Also make sure your reserve is in date for the duration of the boogie.

Q. What is the landing area like? Is the sky crowded?

A. The landing area is approximately 3 miles long by 1 mile wide of open, grassy area with very few obstacles (it’s the airfield runway area). The canopy traffic is extremely spread out and there is plenty of room to land. Chase vehicles (Mercedes Vans) are standing by to shuttle jumpers from the far ends of the DZ back to the hanger upon landing. Hook turns are not allowed.

Q. Which airport should I fly into?

A. There are several choices, however Berlin Txl or Leipzig/Halle are 2 of the larger hubs that your airline may fly into. Berlin is approximately 131 kilometers from the DZ and Leipzig/Halle is 100km away. See the Google map link to find other airports in relation to the DZ.

Q. Will I need a rental car?

A. Yes, a rental car is needed to get to the DZ from any of the major airports. The same rental agencies found in the USA are also present in Germany. Cost for rental varies upon the agency used. The most economical means is to split the cost with another person and carpool to the DZ. If you have the option, choose a diesel vehicle over a gas vehicle for greater fuel economy.

Q. Is it hard to get to the DZ from the airport?

A. Germany has a very detailed road system that is mapped very well. The autobahn (highway) is very well marked and easy to navigate. Travel through the smaller towns to the autobahn can be tricky at first but once you realize the yellow triangle signs every 1-2 blocks guide you through the town, it is very straight forward. Most rental agencies offer map books for free that are very detailed.

Q. I don’t speak German, is that an issue?

A. No. Most people speak both German/Russian and some English to include many other languages such as French, Spanish, Italian, etc. However, brushing up on your German before hand is recommended, as is having a pocket phrase book as some of the smaller villages many only speak German/Russian, especially the older generation. On the DZ there will be plenty of people capable of speaking just about any language that can help you out, to include the event organizers. A free travel phrase book can be found here http://www12.condor.com/tcf-us/downloads/Langenscheidt_MiDo_Engl-Deutsch.pdf

Q. What about lodging and food?

A. Camping is allowed on the DZ with limited resources. Hotels are available in the town of Aschersleben approximately 5 mins drive south of the DZ and in Cochstedt, just north of the DZ. Many skydivers stayed in the “Big Moon Hotel” in Aschersleben, which was recommended by the event organizers. It is possible to make reservations with them closer to the actual boogie date via the event organizers. Most hotels charge by the individual so you can share a 2 person room but only pay for your part of the room. Renting one room and jamming a bunch of skydivers in it is not an option.
Catered food (hot/cold) is available on the DZ in the main tent with the usual drinks and adult beverages. All 3 meals are served daily. There are several restaurants and grocery stores in the surrounding towns that include McDonalds, Chinese food, and local eateries. Bottled water or “table water” is usually carbonated so be sure you ask for non carbonated water either when ordering or when purchasing bottled water at the store.

Q. Will my cell phone/electronics work in Germany?

A. Contact you phone provider to determine if your phone will work. Germany uses a different plug type and runs on 220 volts from the wall sockets. A plug adapter and a transformer will be needed to charge or run most electronics that normally run on 110 volts. Plug adapters and travel transformers can be picked up at most local US stores or on the Internet for a small fee.

Q. Is there Internet access available?

A. No. The DZ does not have Internet access and the local towns do not have an Internet café. Most people who had to have access used their phone.

Q. What is the weather like, what kind of clothes should I bring?

A. Last year’s event was very hot, in the high 80s to 90s with mild humidity. The evenings were cool but usually a long sleeve shirt or light jacket were sufficient. If you plan on camping out, it is not a bad idea to have slightly warmer clothing if you get cold easy. It did lightly rain once for about an hour so a rain jacket is not a bad idea if you are camping out.

Q. How do I get money, what currency is used?

A. Germany has a very good ATM system and chances are your ATM card will work in the local machines, check with your bank to be certain. Currency used is the Euro and is what you will receive from the ATMs there. You may find your bank can give you a good exchange rate so that you can arrive with Euros in your pocket before hand. You can also exchange Dollars for Euros in the airport at the exchange kiosks.

Q. What documents do I need to travel to Germany? Do I need a visa?

A. A complete list of documents needed to travel abroad and other useful information can be found at the US State Department web site. http://travel.state.gov/

GERMANY - *Passport required (must not expire before end of trip). Tourist/business visa not required for stay of up to 90 days. (The**90-day period begins when entering Schengen countries.) For longer stays, obtain temporary residence permit upon arrival. Applicants for residence permits staying over 90 days may be asked to undergo a medical examination. Every foreign national entering Germany is required to provide proof of sufficient health insurance and funds. For more information, contact the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, 4645 Reservoir Rd., NW, Washington, DC 20007 (202/298-4393) or nearest Consulate General: CA (323/930-2703/09 or 415/775-1061), FL (305/358-0290/91), GA (404/659-4760), IL (312/580-1199), MA (617/536-4414), NY (212/610-9700) or TX (713/627-7770). Internet: www.germany-info.org

Q. What is Germany like? (Health issues, crime, medical facilities, etc)

A. Germany is a highly developed country and many people speak both German and English. Consular information and a full description can be found at the US State Department web site. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1123.html

Q. What are the medical facilities and options available to me, are there any issues I should know about?

A. A full list of answers to medical questions can be found at http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/health/health_1185.html
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

From Rolf:

"BREAKING NEWS": Cochstedt-Manifest is open, you should pre-register ON LINE now! Go www.mdskydive.de, and (pre-)register as BIRDMAN!
You will receive a Reg.Number: once you got this no., please send it to us with your email and name (for better planning): we will do a "70+way" Mass-Exit for the GUINNESS-thing this time :)
We will have already Jari Kuosma, Scott Campos and me, Rolf Brombach, as Loadorganizers; Mark Harris is coming too, doing the official Video this time!

Meike and I, we are on the road right now to Portugal, and we are a bit limited in email-and Internet-access until 24.2.2007. But we wanted to let you know a.s.a.p.!

dt.:

"wir unterbrechen fuer eine Sondersendung"... MANIFEST COCHSTEDT ist ab sofort offen, man kann vor-registrieren (und so Geld sparen) auf www.mdskydive.de!
Wenn Ihr die Registrierungs-Nummer als BIRDMAN habt, bitte diese mit Eurem Namen und der email kurz an uns, damit wir besser planen koennen: dieses Jahr gibt es ganz bestimmt das GUINNESS-Ding, mit einem 70+way Massen-Exit! :)
Als Loadorganizers sind jetzt schon sicher Jari Kuosma, Scott Campos - und ich... ausserdem kommen die Briten wieder, Mark Harris wird das offizielle Video machen
Meike und ich sind grad' auf der Straße, kurz vor Lyon, F.: ab dem 24.2. werden wir, in Alvor, Portugal, wieder besseren email- und Internetzugang haben.

Clear Skies

MEIKE BUCHHOLZ, BMI
ROLF BROMBACH, BMCI

+49 171 870 2345 mobil
[email protected]
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

For those who have contacted me about the registration fee and the associated bank wire transfer fee. I have spoken with the event organizers and they cannot accept credit cards, Paypal or international money orders at this time.

They have agreed to let people pay the actual 40 EURO registration fee in Cochstedt, in person at manifest. YOU STILL MUST FILL OUT THE ONLINE REGISTRATION. If you fail to register online and show up at the boogie you will be charged 50 EURO at manifest.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Don't forget to send Rolf an e-mail with your full name and your country once you have registered online. If you have also paid your registration fee and have been given a registration number, include that in your e-mail as well.

[email protected]
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Rolf has secured some fine Czech made smoke cannisters for the boogie. If you have a smoke bracket, bring it as we will put it to good use again this year.;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Who needs smoke-brackets...Last year a piece of duc-tape was all we needed;)

Like I said, bring your smoke brackets or similar accouterments for attaching smoke to yourself;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

;)

Time is running. The end of our special organisation fee is near. please remind the date is 31.03.2007. also the hotel room in skydivers best hotel in the near. please send your registration in the next days or check

http://mdskydive.de/index.php?id=108&L=1

for more information about registration

Will there be an AN-72 BirdMan Boogie Video?

Yes. This year Jarno Cordia has been designated as the official boogie video editor. He will be the individual responsible for gathering video footage from the designated cameramen as well as those other people who wish to contribute their inside video to the project. Jarno will compile video from everyone daily for the duration of the event. Once the event is over, Jarno will edit all of the footage together into a DVD quality movie which will be made available to everyone for free via skydivingmovies.com and or via the event website.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Q. What about lodging and food?

A. Camping is allowed on the DZ with limited resources.

Just to check, camping doesn't have to be booked before hand right? Just turn up, pay 20euro and pitch a tent?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

camping doesn't have to be booked before hand right? Just turn up, pay 20euro and pitch a tent?

That is correct. Booking beforehand isn't required.

Overnight accommodation at the airfield (tent or caravan), including shower/toilet
*** price per person ***:

Arrival Mon., Tue. or Wed.: € 20.00

Arrival Thu.: € 15.00

Arrival Fry. or Sat.: € 10.00
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

He will be the individual responsible for gathering video footage from the designated cameramen as well as those other people who wish to contribute their inside video to the project.

One small comment on that (to prevent me having to capture 2 hours of footage for every 2 minute 60 way we make;))

With a boogie of this size. Jumping in one to three groups per load. Doing 5 to 8 loads a day. And doing that for a full week.
The amount of footage shot during the week wil probably rival the raw footage library from Lord of the Rings in length..

Every dive wil have one or two main camera people (top/bottom) and I'll be using their footage 99% of the time (copying tape to tape. Computers take up too much time at a boogie)

Only when you have a truly spectaculair action. Funnel. Dock. Swoop or truly jaw-dropping shot from inside the formation, drop by and dump it.

Ill probably be shooting ground footage throughout the boogie but for the actual jumps, leave my camera on the ground, and focus on flying my slot;) (and leave the outside video to the awesome flyers such as Mark Harris and James Boole!)

(No footage disappearing into an unnamed persons X-files cabinet of DV tapes this year;))
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?