Buffdiver

First Suit Question?

Hey everyone. Well Im hooked. Over the last month or so I have been progressing/demoing various suits. Started out on the Prodigy/GTI and moved up to the Phantom and Acro. I have around 20 jumps on the latter two. I really want to order a new suit but am short on cash right now. I have a friend that wants to sell me his skyflyer for $200. I made a jump on it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I did notice the narrow leg stance but it wasnt really a big deal. My question is if you experienced pilots think this would be a good buy until i can save up some $$ for a new suit.

Also, when i am finally able to order a new suit, im not sure on what to get. I really liked flying the Phantom and felt really stable with this suit. All of my buddies jump V1's and V2's. Would I have trouble flocking with them flying a phantom or would it be better to get the same suit as them? Thanks everyone for your input/help.

200 bucks for an original Skyflyer in good condition is a pretty good deal.

However, an original Skyflyer is probably not the best first suit. It was one of the twitchiest suits ever made, and certainly the twitchiest that I ever owned. I think you'd be better off with almost any other suit (even a suit with much bigger wings) as a first suit.

The Phantom is a great suit, and will serve you well as both a first suit and a flocking suit. My advice is to skip that old S-1 and save up for a Phantom (or find one used, or both).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

As you have already jumped the S1 and didn't have a problem with it, why NOT spend $200 on it? That suit cost over $900 new and if it's in good shape you have yourself a "fast" suit all your own. The only real problem with the original skyflyer as compared to the later models is lack of usable "pop". I made a ton of jumps on one and liked it fine. After that, sure, go ahead and buy yourself an Acro or a Phantom in your own colors if that's what you want. There really just aren't any of those suits on the used market right now. Both are great suits though. If I were buying a new Phantom, it would definitely have the Acro top vents, that's for sure.

Chuck

As mentioned earlyer, the orginal skyflyer1 can easely be modified by a capable rigger, who for 50 bucks or so, stitch two extra cells in the legwing.

Bassie (a belgian jumper) did this, and basicaly turned his S1 into an S3
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Sam modified his S-3s leg wing and arm wings. The leg wing like the S-3s legwing...can't remember if he added an extra cell. May be he will read this post and respond.

As for what suit to get...if indeed you can get the S1 converted to an S3 for cheap, that's a deal that cannot be beat. And depending on how you and your friends are built, you may be able to flock with them and hold your own in a race. That will save you a lot of money towards buying a V2(or the next version) later.

Kris.

That might have been meant as a joke, Glen,
Chuck

You know I can't be serious for more than 30 seconds.......

But seriously where are you watching suits being sewn up, rigging repairs a plenty? Or is there a new manufacturer ( prototyper ) in town? No agenda just curious......27,28,29........Times up and back to foolery.

But seriously where are you watching suits being sewn up, rigging repairs a plenty? Or is there a new manufacturer ( prototyper ) in town? No agenda just curious......27,28,29........Times up and back to foolery.

I live one block from Tony Suits, brother. I regularly spend time bullshitting in the "wingsuit warehouse" during the slow days at Z-hills. It's a very dynamic environment.

One of our local riggers (in Belgium) is doing these modifications.The first one he has done is the S1 of a friend of mine.He has put two new cells in ,one on each side. They fill up with the rest of the original cells.According to my friend it's a real improvement.The second S1 is being modified as we speak.
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

I live on the DZ.

*sigh* Get me out of this office and on a dropzone as well! :S

I feel your pain! Especially on crystal clear blue days like today was... [:/]

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com