Zoter

Pop tops...gotta ask !

Racer and Reflex have pop-top reserves. The reserve pilot-chute is outside the reserve container. The manufacturer claims quicker reserve deployments. Once the pin is pulled the P/C is immeadiately exposed to the air.

Javelin, Dolphin, and Wings have 2 flaps covering a portion of the reserve pilot chute. They are sort of 'half pop tops'. Vector, Mirage, Infinity, and Talons have the reserve p/c inside the reserve container usually covered by at least 4 flaps, sometimes more.

One design philosophy says that the pop-top promotes quicker reserve deployments. The other designs address the potential problems that pop-tops can have; snag point for main canopy lines, etc.

All of the designs are TSO'd so it is mostly an aesthetic decision as a buyer/ jumper.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Ive heard that some rreserve packer are not willing to work with Racer containers.

I have run into one rigger that will not pack a reflex with the catapult system installed, but thankfully I havent run into one that is that biased against the racer design.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

As someone has already mentioned, there are three types of rig out there at the moment.

Flapped rigs eg Voodoo, Vector III, Atom, Zerox
Pros:
a) Covered reserve pilot chute:
i) Less likely to be damaged.
ii) Less likely to catch lines.
b) Exposed reserve pin on top of rig:
i) Easier to get buddy checked.
Cons:
a) Covered reserve pilot chute:
i) More likely to be impeded by the flaps
i) More likely to be knocked out leading to premature.

Pop-tops eg Racer, Reflex, Teardrop
Pros:
a) Exposed reserve pilot chute:
i) Not impeded by the flaps
b) Covered reserve pin on back of rig:
i) Impossible to be knocked out leading to premature.
Cons:
a) Exposed reserve pilot chute:
i) More likely to be damaged.
ii) More likely to catch lines.
b) Covered reserve pin on back of rig:
i) Harder to get buddy checked.

Half'n'halfs eg Javelin, Wings, Vortex II
Pros:
a) Partially exposed reserve pilot chute:
i) Less impeded by the flaps
i) Easier to get buddy checked.
Cons:
a) Partially exposed reserve pilot chute:
i) More likely to be damaged.
ii) More likely to catch lines.
iii) Still impeded by the flaps.
i) More likely to be knocked out leading to premature.

As you can see, all have pros and cons...you need to keep asking questions, and looking at the rigs on the DZ around you, to make your own mind up.

For me though, the half'n'half design does not make sense. You get all the disadvantages of a pop-top, but not the advantages.
I own a Pop-top which I use for freefly / fs, which cannot have the pin knocked out. For CRW I have a flapped rig, which cannot get lines caught round the reserve pilot chute.
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

Ive heard that some reserve packer are not willing to work with Racer containers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And other riggers charge extra for repacking Racers.

The issue is not specifically anti-Racer, it is more anti-Pop-Top. Racers just happen to be the most complex type of Pop-Top. Racers are more complex because they have two pins versus the single pin on Reflex or later Teardrops.

The problem is that you need a whole new set of skills to pack Pop-Tops, skills that are not explained in much detail in the Racer manual.

Oh, and the closing method described in the Racer manual requires far more tools than I can count! Hee! Hee!

After struggling with Racers for years, I finally developed my own Cypres-compatible tool and consigned my steel T-bodkins to the rubbish bin.

Ive heard that some rreserve packer are not willing to work with Racer containers.

There were a couple riggers around my first DZ who wouldn't pack them, but I get the odea now that it's because they're difficult to pack if you don't do them often, not because they're pop-tops.

I know that if a rigger can pack a racer neatly that he can pretty much pack everything and anything. It's those people I know who went the extra mile to learn ALL aspects of being a well rounded rigger. If it was easy, anyone could do it right?;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Racer packing is a specialized skill

Packing any rig is a specialized skill the last time I checked! That is why there is specialized training and testing to become a rigger.

and rarely taught in riggers' courses.

While I don’t agree, if it were true I would question the courses. In addition, every boogie that Jump Shack has been to including the WFFC, they have given classes on the factory techniques of packing. They are also the only manufacture that when you get one of their tandem rigs they send a rigger/tandem examiner to your DZ to cross certify your tandem instructors and give a rigging class for FREE.

Since packing Racers is a complex skill, you have to stay current. ***

I agree, and since all reserves are complex in their own way you have to stay current with anything you pack.

I'm not a rigger, but from a performance standpoint
I prefer a poptop. Reflex made the best one out there. After 8 chops total between a Mirage, Reflex and Jav, I have to say by far, the Reflex was definately had the fastest deployment.
It was sad to see them go belly-up. I had Bomber, Trident (the company who took over the Reflex) modify my one container. And the quality and appearence was really sloppy.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

Rigging is not rocket science. I'm very uncurrent on Racers and have no trouble at all with them. They're just a silly design.

I think the pop top and reserve deployment speed arguement, is a poor one. Pull the ripcord on any rig, the reserve pilot chute flies off the back. It doesn't matter if it's exposed or not. Some springs launch slightly better than others. Some packing methods will slightly hinder the launch on some rigs. None the less, pull the pin and the PC is outa there.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto