sdctlc

GPS Opinions

I am looking for a GPS unit and did do a search here for units that track info. It seems that the Forerunner and ForeTrex doa good job but are limited in "other" uses i.e. no maps and no memory. But do a great job in getting info but maybe not in downloadig and overlaying on a map, not hard just a small pain.

I like the eTrex Vista in that is seems to give everythig but maybe not so small. Poking around on the Garmin site, do you need to get the downloadable "Jumpmaster" update?

Basically if I am looking for a unit that I can jump with and use for hiking, geoCaching ect.. it seems that the maps and built in altimeter (bariometric) in the vista gives a great balance. New units are on E-bay for about $200 + shipping so it is not that much more then the ForeTrex.

Anyway, please fire away opinions on the units and please keep in mind I am looing not for the really expensive units that have been mentioned but a multifunction and application unit..

thanks
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

For skydiving, specifically wingsuiting, the Foretrex 101/201 series are hard to beat in performance and in price. Both can download their data to a computer for analysis. I have used this receiver for land navigation but it lacks some of the features of a fullsize unit.

The Etrex vista is a solid unit and is not all that big. I use the Vista for skydiving and for ground navigation. You don't need the Jumpmaster program unless you are in the military as it serves no function outside of military jumping. Another excellent model is the Garmin 60 C/CS series of receivers. Fantastic receiver for skydiving and ground activities if your budget can afford it. The Vista is a good choice and if you can get one relatively cheap then it would be the better choice over the Foretrex.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

> I am looking for a GPS unit....
> Another excellent model is the Garmin 60 C/CS...
If you are on the market NOW for a new GPS, please consider that they are vailable the new "x" series of both eTrex Vista C and GPSMAP 60CS, which are called eTrex Vista Cx and GPSMAP 60CSx.
The "x" stands for expandable, meaning that they can have a micro SD memory card (up to 1 GB) for loading maps. Furthermore, these new x units have got a Sirf based satellite detector, which is claimed (by Garmin, at least) to be way superior (with respect to "old" circuitry) as far as satellite detection in "covered" environments (along streets among buildings in cities or in a forest with tall trees or even inside apartments) is concerned.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

just tested GlobalSat GH-601, that uses sirfstar3 chipset. it is small and easy to mount anywhere (i mounted it on the shoulder strap). works nice even in the plane or heli.

kml file of the flight (works with Google Earth)
http://bestpics.ru/full/wingsuit.kml

SirF chipset works. I have used both ForeTrex 201 and Edge 305 and the edge is much better in regards to re-locating satelites.

You cannot go wrong with Scotts suggestion. The ForeTrex 201 and 101 are definately cheaper and work just as well.

Kris.

the GH-601 doesnt have any barometric altimeter. so it just doesnt give any info on the altitude in the log file. but the GH-602 will have one (as i was told by guys from globalsat russia)

as an info.
log file started at 4200m
log file ended under the canopy at about 300m. i just forgot to turn it off, cause i had a linetwist, so i was a bit busy with that :)

i didn't mean barometric altitude.

a standard GPS (without barometric alti.) can show elevation as well at Lat & Lon.

perhaps your model or the software you are using with it doesn't support exporting Elevation data.

perhaps your model or the software you are using with it doesn't support exporting Elevation data.

hm. device has it on the screen, but there is no elevation data in the log file :(
i believe you are right and the software i'm using doesn't support exporting Elevation data

SirF chipset works. I have used both ForeTrex 201 and Edge 305 and the edge is much better in regards to re-locating satelites.

I'll second that. I have a Garmin Etrex Vista (original monochrome), and just acquired an Edge 305. Not only does the 305 sync up a *lot* faster, but in the den of my house, (which is under another floor), the 305 syncs up with half a dozen satelites or more, while the Vista cannot acquire a *single* satellite!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.