The111

short video - highspeed exit

Here's a short, stupid video I made last night, mainly just to learn a little about editing. Even as short as it is, it took me a couple hours to make between learning the software, and a bunch of other little problems I kept running into along the way.

At the Lake Wales deaf world record Casa boogie, we got the Casa to do some high speed passes and got a few good exits out of it. A couple of the deaf guys saw me playing this footage on the TV, after a jump, and they wanted a copy. So here it is, guys.

VIDEO
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I can't tell from watching the video, so I'll just ask. Is the plane losing altitude, or does the wingsuit jumper actually get enough lift to carry himself up above the plane?

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

The jumper does get above the plane, although the plane dives near the end which adds to the separation.

In my opinion it is DRIVE, not lift, that carries the jumper above the plane, since the airstream at exit is horizontal.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Is the plane losing altitude, or does the wingsuit jumper actually get enough lift to carry himself up above the plane?

The video looks as if the guy in the S3 is gaining altitude on exit and the guy in the V1 is losing altitude on exit.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

The jumper does get above the plane, although the plane dives near the end which adds to the separation.

In my opinion it is DRIVE, not lift, that carries the jumper above the plane, since the airstream at exit is horizontal.

Like any glider ( or aircraft with power fixed at a definite setting for a moment ), forcing it to fly above its trimmed speed makes it climb...

Fabien
BASE#944

On the topic of high-speed exits, and along the lines of my above post...

I've always thought it is easier for skinny people to get above plane than heavy people, but if my assertion above was correct (that drive, not lift pushes you above the plane), then it would almost seem heavier people can do better, since they can generate higher fallrates and forward drive. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

On the topic of high-speed exits, and along the lines of my above post...

I've always thought it is easier for skinny people to get above plane than heavy people, but if my assertion above was correct (that drive, not lift pushes you above the plane), then it would almost seem heavier people can do better, since they can generate higher fallrates and forward drive. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Not to break it down into some aeronautic or scientific giberish, it depends alot on exit technique.

Some stick the exit, and then some dont.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Not necessarily directed at you:

Voodew posted a video in the Casa--wingsuits--haloween sanmarcos thread. It shows footage of a high speed pass from inside the casa and his own perspective.(Red V-1) I saw it first hand, he definately climbed on exit.:o

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Not to throw stones by any means -- nice exit--but the Casa was desending to build up speed which makes it look even more dramatic.

It is all technique in the exit to climb above the plane ----- I can do it in a Prodigy, GTI, V1 etc -- its not the suit.

The exits Brains was referring to that is on Skydiving Movies, the Casa let us out at 6.5k and was flying flat at best if not still ascending with the rest of the load. Our exit speed was 135 knots if I remember right and it could have been faster.
Do you know what exit speed was for your flight?

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Not to throw stones by any means -- nice exit--but the Casa was desending to build up speed which makes it look even more dramatic.

It's clear in the video that the plane starts its dive at about 0:11 (same time he starts the left bank), after I'm (blue suit) already out of the left frame. Scotty (yellow suit) wasn't even fully off the step until around 00:09, and no decent pilot will start diving until he knows the last man is gone - it's reasonable that he waited 1-2 seconds before starting the dive. I don't think the dive makes it look more dramatic, because the video fades out as the dive starts, but I will be the first to admit that the 3rd person POV always makes it look more impressive... look at the 1st person shot to determine how high it really is.

It is all technique in the exit to climb above the plane ----- I can do it in a Prodigy, GTI, V1 etc -- its not the suit.

I think that was Ed's point exactly... correct me if I'm wrong Ed.

The exits Brains was referring to that is on Skydiving Movies, the Casa let us out at 6.5k and was flying flat at best if not still ascending with the rest of the load. Our exit speed was 135 knots if I remember right and it could have been faster.
Do you know what exit speed was for your flight?

I saw your exit, and it was a very good one too... congrats. B| Video from inside the plane is a very cool effect... I didn't have that benefit, but the pilots did say they saw it and loved it. I asked them to take it to around 125 knots, with an absolute max of 130 on that day. I asked afterwards and they confirmed the 125. It was certainly not the fastest I've done, but those really fast ones can be really difficult not to lose it on that initial windblast! :D This one was a nice comfortable speed...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I used Pinnacle Studio 9.3. But I realized right after I uploaded the video that there was an even cooler song clip I could have used, one that I have always wanted to put to WS video and the lyrics will probably never fit another video this perfectly. The line is "maybe we'll wake up with golden wings, and fly over the city screaming"... and the way it would have synced up with the video, the "golden wings" matched up with when I was looking at Scotty's yellow wings in the door, and the "fly over the city" matched up with the climb up the hill. Oh well, next time...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

right after I uploaded the video that there was an even cooler song clip I could have used

And here I thought you were talking about the theme music from Pac-man :D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here's a short, stupid video I made last night, mainly just to learn a little about editing. Even as short as it is, it took me a couple hours to make between learning the software, and a bunch of other little problems I kept running into along the way.

Nice video dude... got any more footage of those jumps?

Tip: I saw the datarate in the clip was at 1969 kbps. This is a lot more than necessary. Between 350 and 500 will get you decent quality in Windows Media Player and not have such a huge file to upload/download. You should be able to specify the rate when you render/export it to WMV.

Cheers!
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

The video is now on the BM site. The misleading, but very comical title I found entertaining. :ph34r: But of course we don't need to go there.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Nice video dude... got any more footage of those jumps?

The rest of that specific jump was a fairly boring 3-way. I am collecting footage that I will compile into something cool near the end of the year maybe, but for now the only really outstanding footage that I had was what you just saw.

I will try your advice next time I render a video file and see if I can get a smaller filesize, thanks. I tried various settings in DivX (before I changed my mind and went to WMV), and any smaller filesizes looked like crap.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com