fab777

AAD threshold

2 weeks ago, I checked my Vigil info page after a wingsuit flight ( well... in fact my last jump, considering I broke some of my bones on landing, but this has nothing to do with the subject).

this is what I got: max vertical speed on last freefall=70 kmh, last freefall time=...2s.

Should I understand that my AAD, not only won't fire, but doesn't even recognize a freefall condition when flying a wingsuit under that vertical speed?

Fabien
BASE#944

On the positive side, if some dude steams into you and breaks bones and you flail away unconsious, it will recognise that and save you, but if you fly with some expertise, all the way to the ground, it won't fire.

As the Adrian Nichols thread and your Wingsuit observation points out, "modern AAD's" are simply not as modern as modern skydiving. What was good in late 1992 is no longer good enough.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

As the Adrian Nichols thread and your Wingsuit observation points out, "modern AAD's" are simply not as modern as modern skydiving. What was good in late 1992 is no longer good enough.
t

Does the same apply to audible alarm thresholds? yesterday I had a jump where I passed through my first alarm and didnt hear it, only heard my second alarm during the trapdoor/initial deployment phase. Starting to wonder that perhaps audibles aren't so reliable. BTW this was on a Neptune v2.6.0
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I've never missed an audible alarm from my ProTrack or ProDytter, even in very slow, long solos.

Perhaps activation/thresholds are different? Just looking to see if this has happened to other Neptune users, and what the threshold is, for FYI purposes. I have the latest version and it is reading nearly full battery.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I have my protracks set for 5500 3500 and 1800 for most of my freefly jumps, sometimes, I forget to change it for WS flights. I always hear them, but I am not known for being the slowest in the world:S

Anyways, my point. If I pitch around 4500 and open and flying shortly thereafter, I have still had my protrack go off at 3500 while under canopy. With a Sabre2 190 at 1.3, with no fancy stuff, that leads me to believe that the activation speeds have to be pretty low.

I've never missed an audible alarm from my ProTrack or ProDytter, even in very slow, long solos.

Perhaps activation/thresholds are different? Just looking to see if this has happened to other Neptune users, and what the threshold is, for FYI purposes. I have the latest version and it is reading nearly full battery.

Never missed a neptune or time-out warning yet. Older software of the neptune may assume you opened your chute and stop beeping though.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have had the pro-dytter skip beeps on me. I only did this when flying the Classic II and the GTI. My 'theory' is that I was periodically stalling the suit trying to go slow and when chance made the stall come around the dytter warning altitude, there would be no warning.

I never managed this with the bigger suits though.

Kris.

Hey Dude,

Send a PM or email to Kim Griffin(Vigil Rep). She should be able to explain. She is also a very experienced wingsuit pilot.

contact Kim Griffin at [email protected]

username: kimgriffin

Kris.

Wildo... thank you. Not that I'm really concerned with that as a safety issue, but I'm just wondering about how it works...

Fabien
BASE#944

That's due to the OS being modified back in 2000-2001 just for the development of wingsuits....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm just wondering about how it works...

Are you asking in general or do you have a more specific question in ref to wingsuiting? PM me if needed.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've never had an issue with my audiable (a Pro Dytter) but I think that the authority on altitude is the eyeball, and all other tools are simply that. Tools. They will work if they work as designed and if you use them correctly, but if they don't work or if you use them incorrectly dying seems a punishment worth inspiring some other skill development.

Altitude awareness is not knowing where the little needle on your alti is pointing, or how the current is making the liquid crystal run about on the screen of your Neptune, or whether the electrons in your audiable will enable your eardrum to manipulate the inner ear bones to tell your brain there is noise to your left or right.

Altitude awareness is knowing where the ground is - how far away it is - not in distance, but in time and in oportunity to complete some tasks and overcome some basic physics certainties.

Everything else is just bullshit.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I'm just wondering about how it works...

Are you asking in general or do you have a more specific question in ref to wingsuiting? PM me if needed.

well... at first, I wondered if there was an issue with the AAD not recognizing the freefall condition, like , for instance, it turning standby or losing its setting. But my guess is that it's just like climbing to 14K, then getting down in the plane to 3000 and doing a hp'n pop... no other concern, since I'm pretty sure that'll work when needed!

Fabien
BASE#944

I wondered if there was an issue with the AAD not recognizing the freefall condition

All AADs on the market currently may not fire if you continue to fly your suit past the devices hard deck due to the slow vertical descent rates. It is still functioning within it's specifications but the speeds/data needed to cause it to fire are not being met. If however you were unconscious or tumbling the device should work as designed.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING