piisfish

Jet Man Discussion

in rep 2 "If you want I can put you in contact, at the time he was looking for other pilots...."

Sounds good ,.. my lack of French would possibly be a prob ;)

Any clues what his current project is? .

no prob, he is quite fluent in english (yeah airline pilots usually speak a kind of english, hopefully swiss military pilots invented a language called Bambino so they can understand eachother:P, however it is not used on commercial flights, only military). He also speaks german if that can help.

The last news I had was he had to think about the future of the whole project as he had to cutaway the wing and the webbing holding the wings parachute broke and the wing was totalled.

edit for thread title ~TA
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

in reply to "The last news I had was he had to think about the future of the whole project as he had to cutaway the wing and the webbing holding the wings parachute broke and the wing was totalled. "

The man deserves a medal or better yet a grant.... pity about the harness/recovery chute issue.

I wonder if some form of modified wing based on his jet wing design would be more suitable for a base take off if it can fly horizontally after picking up speed.

I would imagine a Base launch would have it's own set of problems that have no doubt been considered.

Cheers for the update
:)

I wonder if some form of modified wing based on his jet wing design would be more suitable for a base take off if it can fly horizontally after picking up speed.

it's part of the idea :P

in reply to "it's part of the idea "

Crool Idea.:)
If the thing had a launch guide that allowed it to clear the object/cliff as well as accelerate quickly with stability then it still seems like a good idea.

Popping off strapped to such a thing as in a wingsuit launch would not be for the faint hearted.

I've seen a number of hang-glider launches go a bit bad immediately on take off ( one almost barrel rolled sideways )

If a bit of wind got under one wing it could get nasty.
Any guide rail ideas?

In reply to uncle charlie95's "Both a cradle undercarriage (like the early German jets) and a cliff launch would be very very risky due to the high stall speed. "
yep have to agree. Perhaps the solid wing needs to have a bit more built in stability to help ensure a good launch angle. Wing suits high stall speed still allows for ground launch.

I'd give it a few tries from a hot air balloon first B|

I'd never... :o
from a balloon you would need a head down launch which would consume LOTS of altitude till you can really fly.
That's my opinion.

I'd give it a few tries from a hot air balloon first B|

I'd never... :o
from a balloon you would need a head down launch which would consume LOTS of altitude till you can really fly.
That's my opinion.

In what way would that be any different then launching off a cliff (aside from the lack of non-forgiving-when-hit wall behind you?)

A balloon can be exited just like you'd do a 'normal' base-exit...

if you're not launching with a runway/wheels/catapult or off the deck of an aircraft carrier that they'd heli-lift up to the top at Kjerag, a normal launch from a solid piece of ground would be no different from a balloon (which you could fly to 12.000 ft or higher if you wanted to, so you have some alti to mess up?)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

if you're not launching with a runway/wheels/catapult or off the deck of an aircraft carrier

i'd launch with a runway/wheels/catapult :)Guess it would be the scariest part, rolling at 150+ km/h with my face at a couple of cm's (or inches for the americans) of the ground :o:o

hard wings on your back, wheels/gear on your belly...

So what you are basically thinking off is an airplane that is just missing the front window/nose, with a human head sticking out?B|

I think such a thing already exists...we jump from it on a regular basis hehehe:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

wheels/catapult would not be fixed... that's the only difference :P

but I got the same thought.. It's a kind of human airplane....

we even suggested he had to be hung under the Porter, X-1 style :o:o

but I got the same thought.. It's a kind of human airplane....

we even suggested he had to be hung under the Porter, X-1 style :o:o

And then let him fly across the atlantic channel, and call it the first human unassisted flight... :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Just remember, the jets he uses need 30s warmup before providing any thrust, when he jumps at 4000m he's starting to fly around 2500m....
You'll have to find a VERY high cliff ;-)

Sure but when he jumps from a plane he can't fire his engines before getting out of the plane ;)

So he could easily stay on the edge of the cliff with his engines warming up for hours if he wanted to :P

Jul.
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

[Sure but when he jumps from a plane he can't fire his engines before getting out of the plane ;)
So he could easily stay on the edge of the cliff with his engines warming up for hours if he wanted to :P

YES :)do you want video ??
ever seen a turbine idling at 75'000 RPM 20cm from your nose ?? :o

And would it produce any thrust at all while warming up? May make it difficult to stand still. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

And would it produce any thrust at all while warming up? May make it difficult to stand still. :D

yeah some thrust but the total wing/parachute wheighs around 50kg (110lbs)
cruise rpm is IIRC 125'000 rpm... and max thrust is around 2*22kg

this thread should be splitted...
actually it's not a wingsuit, its a wing.

in reply to "do you want video ??
ever seen a turbine idling at 75'000 RPM 20cm from your nose ??"

Yes and Yes.

Some Jpgs would be good too...

Those little turbines really whine and scream when pushed to max.

As for the air launch . Would it be possible to warm the jets up in the plane if you had a fire extinguisher on board for little accidents?

They scream indeed :)
Ok will look for my tapes.

On the first flights he started the turbines in freefall/glide. Then the technique was modified and we started them on the step, turbines turned outside, he would even climb back in for some extra altitude ("bomb bay" open, with some kind of exhaust pipe going under).

Latest version was he started them on the step and exited at around 8000 ft MSL

yes a tailgate would definitely simplify everything.

BUT... it would be too expensive/take too much time to :
-fly a tailgate to Switzerland
-move to a DZ with a tailgate
-find a place where they would let you jump from their taigate with such a contraption (within driving distance)

So yes, all jet flights were done from a Porter (mostly HB-FKT from Flying Devil, and a couple in Empuriabrava). Don't know what plane was used in Dubai during last winter.

Some more jetman questions....

Also the flight characteristics of the wing are ???
eg what was the approx. stall speed for the jet-wing.?

As video person for this project did you have much trouble getting near enough for footage?

How does the change in altitude affect the starting and running of the jets.?

eg Difference at higher altitudes and lower temperatures as compared to say medium altitudes with warmer temperature.