mirage62

Rigger mistake?

While at the Perris Pop's last week my cypress batt. died. In the course of a normal day I wouldn't have stop to replace them but thought better of it cause of the number of people.

Took my rig to Eddie who agreed to replace the batt. and repack the reserve.Open opening he found the cypress was due it's four year inspect. It was in date two weeks earlier when it was closed - so that's legal. The batt. would not have made it to the next repack - by dates. Not to mention that I had cycled the cyprees one time since the repack.

My question is, does the rigger have a responsibility to check the voltage at repack? Do the batt. have to make the date for the next repack?

Before you flame, I take responsibility for checking I should not have relied on the rigger - lesson learned.

Thanks for your input.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Airtec recommends (in other words, does not require) that the batteries be replaced if they will expire before the next repack. I always check the date and the voltage, and give the owner the option. I typically have no idea how many jumps are on the batteries, so the 500-jump limit is up to the owner to monitor in my book.

I will not pack a reserve if the batteries or 4/8 year service comes due during the next 120 day period.

I feel that it is not only my responsibility to ensure airworthiness of the rig when I inspect/repack it, but also to ensure to the best of my ability that the rig remains airworthy until it is inspected/repacked again.

Of course, anything could happen to the rig during that 120 days to make it unairworthy, but I will not pack a rig that I know will become unairworthy during that period.
Arrive Safely

John

Over the years I have listened to far too many skydivers whine about the high cost of Cypres batteries. So now - if the batteries are stronger than 6000 - I give them the option of replacing the batteries part-way through their repack cycle. However, I explain to them that a mid-cycle replacement will be more expensive because I am the only rigger who can do it without a full-price repack and I will charge $30 when I do it.
I also note their decision on the work order - to cover my butt with paperwork.
As for 4 or 8-year checks: I try to give them a few months warning so they can schedule Cypres maintenance during the slow season. And I make it clear to them that I flatly refuse to do anything with a Cypres that is more than 3 months beyond scheduled maintenance.

I will not pack a reserve if the batteries or 4/8 year service comes due during the next 120 day period.

I feel that it is not only my responsibility to ensure airworthiness of the rig when I inspect/repack it, but also to ensure to the best of my ability that the rig remains airworthy until it is inspected/repacked again.

How does not having a working Cypres make a rig unairworthy? Aren't there people who jump without Cypres's all-together?

Blue Skies Black Death

How does not having a working Cypres make a rig unairworthy? Aren't there people who jump without Cypres's all-together? ***

FAR Part 105;

"(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device."

Derek

Of course, anything could happen to the rig during that 120 days to make it unairworthy, but I will not pack a rig that I know will become unairworthy during that period.

Big applause to you....I am exactly the same way....when I seal a reserve I am recertifing that rig for the next 120 and that includes the entire system and AAD.

In Britain, If a battery/service is due before the end of the 6 month cycle, the Record of Inspection reflects this as the repack due date can be set to be the end of the month the batteries are due. Do you not have this flexibility in cycle length in the States?
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies