GeordieSkydiver

Firebird.

I haven't taken a close look at everything since i'm at work, but has anyone whose seen new a firebird and scott's prototype demo notice at least one difference? (not nes good or bad, time will tell). The neoprene type material on the back is a bit more soft, shiney and flexible. I'll have to get some pictures up.

I think Birdman is constantly updating their product-line.
Even in S3S's and Phi's that are coming out now, there are already subtle changes, tweaks and updates compared to suits that where delivered only one month earlyer..

I saw on a few newer suits jari had with him that the new suits tabshad again to click/tie the feet/wing up when walking

The soft, but thicker neoprene back (same on firebird as S3S) is quite nice..less sweaty, and feels more solid..I've jumped it (on my s3s) in warm weather, and its getting colder now...I like it :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The soft, but thicker neoprene back (same on firebird as S3S) is quite nice..less sweaty, and feels more solid..I've jumped it (on my s3s) in warm weather, and its getting colder now...I like it :)

Just to be clear that I meant that it's a different neoprene material than the ones i've seen on the one firebird and s3s. Actually I did also notice at least one additional reinforcing binding strip around the booties. Can't imagine anything bad with that.:)

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

too overcast right now to jump so i'm waiting for it to clear a little before heading to the dz.. may not happen today[:/]

the suit

C'mon, everybody knows the proper way to post pictures of a new suit is with you in it, standing up straight, spreading your wings, and generally looking foolish. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Has anyone flown both the Firebird and the Phi who can compare them? Sounds like the Firebird has a lot more performance range than I had thought it would. No one has a Firebird yet in South Africa that I know of but we have seen the Phi.

-T
It's the Year of the Dragon.

I think Tristan has flown both Phi and Firebird at the Teuge wingsuit weekend. He only put one jump on both suits I think, but he could probably tell us a bit about how both suits compared for a first flight (in terms of speed/stability)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I've jumped both but only got to try the Phi once and didn't get to try much backflying or acrobatics in it. I hope to put some more jumps on one soon. I will say this though: "right-side-up", the Phi is definitely higher performance than the Firebird, I think. It felt a lot like my S3 in terms of arm and leg pressure, and I looked at the numbers from when I was swooping a cloud near the end of a jump and I was doing in the mid-40's, not really even trying that hard. I think the Firebird is more suited for a beginner/intermediate all around suit, and would even serve an advanced pilot for most of his normal flocking needs.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Comparing two suits with just one jump each is just impossible. Here are just some of my first impressions:

The Phi feels very solid where the firebird is still a bit flimsy. Both suits require you to apply more pressure to the legwing (pushing the legs outward). I only tried to fly the Phi on my back. It's true that backflying still isn't easy with the Phi but the legwing remained very solid.
What I noticed most was that the forward speed of the firebird was enormous and the Phi's not so (this could very much have been the result of the wind conditions).
The quality of the fabric and design and such of the Phi is just so much better. If only the firebird would be made the same (or be a bit cheaper).

My verdict:
I personally thing the firebird will be perfect for your first suit. It's like a 150 sqft canopy, It's fun and remains fun for a lot more jumps.
I expect to see a lot more wingsuit aerobatics in the future. Thats what the Phi is perfect for (just fooling around in the sky).

So there it is, a few more jumps with ether suit and I'll probably say something completely different
;)
Tristan
Will you answer "NO" to my next question?

Comparing two suits with just one jump each is just impossible. Here are just some of my first impressions:

No, it's not, really. If you've jumped enough suits and have enough wingsuit experience in general, it's easy to identify major flight characteristics and target user groups with minimal jumps on a suit. That is different from knowing the suit inside and out. I added the caveat (one jump on the PHI) to make it obvious my opinions were first impressions as you stated yours were also.

My very first jump on the Firebird was a tight flock followed by chasing a very experienced V1 (leave the brandwar aside please, everybody, I'm just specifying high performance) pilot through some awesome clouds at breakoff.

I have quite a few jumps on the Firebird, FWIW. I disagree that the leg pressure on the Firebird is high, compared to any other entry level tri-wing suit.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Thanks The111 and Airowpoint for your impressions. I understood that the Phi was indeed supposed to be higher performance than the Firebird--at least flying belly-to-earth. It also sounds like the Firebird will be a good first suit or demo suit for FFC's.

The guys flying Phi's here are still working on the back flying from what they've told me, but I look forward to seeing--or least hearing about--what it can do aerobatically with a good pilot in it.

Some day maybe they will start making demo suits for 5'4" 102-pound people and sending them to South Africa ;)

-T
It's the Year of the Dragon.