greybeard

Wings across Gibraltar

I don't quite understand what you are asking me about. The air deflectors(vortice generators) on the arm wing on the S3S are the result of the wind tunnel testing. The material is now semi rigid and extends further back on the wing to increase the performance and efficiency of the wing.I am not following what you are asking me about on the leg wing exactly.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Any comments on the rear arm wing wents, and the tapered leg cowlick leg wing on the first suit?

Scott, I think he is asking about the Phi. The "first suit" i.e. the other new suit. It has a "cowlicked leg wing" and "rear arm wents" (inlets on the back).

As far as I know, GB, the rear arm inlets are for inflation on your back. I don't know why the leg wing is shaped like it is, but I'm sure there's a reason. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Thanks for interpreting Matt. That's what I was asking. The inlets on back of the arm are for back flying in th PHI.

The trailing edge on the leg wings of one pic beg questions. 'Cowlick' was probably a poor choice of word description. Lacking any aeronuatical engineering expertise, how about the term 'widows peak' as in frontal hairline of some folk's forehead. i.e., Not a straight line from ankle to ankle.

And the attatchment point of the leg wing, versus the toe tip point of attachment on my SI, make me wonder if the S3 is not giving up a lot of wing surface on the trailing edge.

the term 'widows peak' as in frontal hairline of some folk's forehead. i.e., Not a straight line from ankle to ankle.

The scalloped wings that you are asking about are a result of testing conducted in the wind tunnel. As you know, large wings be it arm or leg, but especially a very long leg wing, will have a very bad habit of flapping along the trail edge even when properly inflated and tensioned. There are ways to overcome this,such as adding a heavier fabric or reinforcement in the area(s) that tend to flap(dampening). Since the PHI is designed to be an acrobatic suit where the wing may not always be in the optimal configuration, such as back flying or rolls, wing flap can cause a decrease in performance.Reducing the tendency for wing flap during acrobatics while maintaining performance is best acheived with the trailing edge of the wings as you see them.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just wanted to step in for a sec and leave a message for the guys who just crossed the strait... I figure they'll find it, where else on the net will you find clumps of birdmen congregating?

Congratulations guys, that is absolutely incredible.
Wish I'd been there to see that....
Hell, I wish I'd been ON that flight, I'd have gladly given a year's pay, I fly my GTI in New England winters, I'm good for the cold....

Wow, gentlemen. Just Wow.
The only questions remaining to me are which birdmen are going to figure out a way to top this, and HOW.
Ok actually one more question:
How big/bulky/how much portable O2 was required to pull this off? More than half that flight was outside of what most people would consider breathable atmosphere, I wonder about time, weight and bulk of the gear.
Just incredible, guys. Talk about taking the human flight thing to the next level....
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

The legwing on my S3 extends nearly four inches past my toes.

Chuck, I am not sure I understand this statement. Look at the attached pictures (one I found on BM site of someone standing straight in suit, one of me flying my suit). The legwing does not come to the toes (although it is very close), much less go past them. Is yours different, or am I missing something?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Matt,

Chuck and i suffer from some slight inabilities to write exactaly what we mean, but somehow are able to comprehend each other just fine.

The attachment point is different on the SI and S3. Your pictures prove Chuck's point, that the surface area is close to the same. Thanks for the visual.

How about getting back to a big 'YEE-HOORAH' for the Gibraltar crossing?

Any more info available on the O2 wieght or incumberance.

What must it have felt like to go 'feet wet, fly,fly,fly, then see land!