funks

Packing Technique

I have been getting my ass kicked by line twists on almost every jump. It was recommended that I try a different packing technique. When I put the bag into the container I no longer twist it 90 degrees. I leave the pc bridal facing straight up. I also make sure that all my excess lines are at the back of the container and not tucked into the closing loop / reserve side of the container. I was told that a major cause of line twists is when the lines snag the reserve container and twist up as the bag is coming off your back. Couple that with the bag having to rotate as it comes off your back and its a recipe for trouble.

Sure enough, leaving the bridal facing up and the lines in the back of the container gave me one of the sweetest openings i have ever had. That packjob was for my last jump of the day. I didnt get to try it out a second time. Was the nice opening a fluke? Or does packing like that really make a huge difference like it seemed to?

I'm a newbie so if this is common sense forgive me;) Sure as hell seems to work though.

We're all newbies to some extent since wingsuits are so new. When I was first asking questions like this, I was told by many very accomplished pilots to:

a) Get cut corners
b) Don't get cut corners

c) Rotate bag 90 degrees (grommet to pin)
d) Don't rotate bag 90 degrees (grommet to reserve tray, "normal" packjob)

e) Get longer bridle
f) Never had anyone argue with that :$

Besides the fact that there are slightly different ways to deploy (I personally don't like to have a lot of forward speed when I pull) and there are different rigs with slightly different bags and main pack trays.

When I was starting I was frustrated that I couldn't get a straight answer on anything, but like you seem to have done, I figured out what works for me. I still get linetwists about 1 out of every 15 jumps or so (guessing), but usually when that happens I realize I was lazy on collapsing my armwings and probably burbled my PC a little.

EDIT: FWIW, I do rotate my bag about (a little less than) 90 degrees when I pack. I also have my corners (Vector 3) cut 2/3 of the way down, and a long bridle.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

yeah, i have kinda gotten the same responses. Do this, dont do this, etc...guess it all depends on who we ask. I was told to cut the corners and then my rigger took a look at my container and decided that the bag fit loose enough in the container and that it wasnt necessary....

as long as i can cut back the frequency of the line twists i'll be happyB|

I have used a large variety of rigs for wing suit flying (Talon, Javelin, Infinity, Eclipse”not a recommended”). I find that they all preformed fine without cut corners. I would suggest longer pilot chute and in my opinion one of the most important things in deploying is to throw your PC as far away from you as possible. Most of my line twist on other funky openings happen with a weak throw of my PC. As far as rotating your bag, I personally rotate my bag about 45° instead of the full 90°.
Kirk

I've tried just about every method, but for my Icon/Pilot150 I've settled on the standard packing method (grommet towards reserve), long bridle and standard corners. That gives me good openings 95% of the time .. the other 5% I chalk up to lazy throws and bad kharma.

I have heard people complain of line twists that insisted on unzipping their arms during deployment. Unless the ground is about to slap you I think I'd wait until the canopy is open before messing with the zippers. Cross your arms over your chest after you throw the PC (my choice) or fly through the deployment sequence.

My 2 cents.

Scott

how much excess line are you leaving between the last stow and the risers?
what kind of canopy?
what is your bridle/PC configuration??
What is your deployment technique?

When I jump a wingsuit, I like to stack the odds in my favor--as a general statement--don't be a cheapskate and jump non-recommended configurations with a wingsuit in order to save money...if you can't have a WS dedicated rig, at least make your bridles, PC's, etc WS friendly! Spend the $ for dynamic corners if you believe in them...chopping from a WS mal can't be too fun!
later,
pope
(looking forward to my V-1 arriving soon!!)

Do you have line stow retainers sewn on the side of your d-bag or on the body of the bag? Line twist is reduced when you stow your lines on the body which puts them closer together (10") If you do have this configuration I don't know what to tell you. If you don't send your bag to me I'll modify it for you at no charge.

That's a great point, BJ! Another super-simple anti-twist mod is the one that Sunrise Rigging puts on their Wings birdman bridles. That simple triangle keeps the bag from rocking back and forth on deployment, thus, in my case at least, nearly totally elliminating linetwists. I must also add that my corners are completely open and I pack either pin to grommet or "backwards" with the bridle coming straight out the bottom.

CHuck

Do you have line stow retainers sewn on the side of your d-bag or on the body of the bag? Line twist is reduced when you stow your lines on the body which puts them closer together (10") If you do have this configuration I don't know what to tell you. If you don't send your bag to me I'll modify it for you at no charge.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the body of the bag". Do you have any photos you can post?

My one and only cutaway so far was from spinning line twists on a BM jump.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Dude, that is awesome..I appreciate it..I'll fire off a pm to you to discuss doing this. Thanks again!!

JW

Packing techniques and anti-twist-mods are all nice and surely help, but I think the 1 most important thing is a good body-position. It's harder to stay really symmetrical with your wings collapsed than it is in a normal freefall position without wings, so you just have to pay a bit more attention. I jump a loaded hp-wing with my suit, pack like normal and usually don't have any problems since I pay attention to my position.
A couple of years ago I got a bit lazy about it and quickly ran into trouble :S

the 1 most important thing is a good body-position.

That is 100% correct. Most peoples problems are self induced. It ranges from pull time body positions, ie: trunk rotation, partial wing collapses, dropping a shoulder, etc. . The others can be attributed to those trying to unzip before fully upright in the saddle or opening a wing during the deployment sequence. Being symetrical and still in the harness is the secret to success for 95% of opening issues.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING