Zeemax

s5?

Scott, do you think that flockers ought to start with a lower end suit when returning from a lay off? Or start with fewer flyers around? Or both?

I think like anything in this sport, if you take it for granted, it can kill you. It's no different than someone who hasn't jumped in a while. Would you want them doing 4 way or FFing with you after they hadn't been in the air for awhile? Would you jump your sub 100 canopy rocket and hook it after having not flown it for awhile or would you take it easy on the first couple and ease back into it?

The problem I have seen time and time again is the person who has a suit and occassionly flys it or only flys by themselves. These people usually jump at the chance to flock with others or make a solo flight after not having flown in awhile and they aren't as stable in the suit. I don't think one has to jump their suit every weekend but they should be jumping it enough that simple things like rigging it up, pull time and post opening procedures is second nature. Being unfamiliar with a situation can cause hesitation and in this sport, that can lead to injury and or death. Not being current in a wingsuit is like not being current under a canopy or up on your EPs, it has the potential to bite you in the ass.

Lay offs should be approached in the same way we do it for skydiving in general. One should go over simple things like rigging, donning the suit, zipping, emergency procedures and re visit what used to be muscle memory before your on a call or in a rush. Once that is covered, practice exits never hurt while waiting to load and then several solo flights to again get the feel of the suit and openinngs before attempting to flock with others.

Overall skydiving experince can come in to play but it can also hinder some as they let their numbers and pride get in the way thinking they can handle it. I have been lucky enough to jump with some very experienced people who still welcomed a quick FFC and over view of flying after not having done it in a while. That, IMO , is why many of those people are still alive and jumping and have avoided injury in this sport.

Skydiving is the one activity that you can do everything right and still die. Too many people have taken this sport for granted and paid the ultimate price.

So how does the S5 fit into all of this? Like any High end item, more performance means more control/skill is needed by the pilot. The S5 BLADE will continue to push the envelope of what we know in this sport today just like all the other suits out there are doing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sweetie, don't be upset - it hurts the beauty

So true!:D

But than I only have one question for you? What were Jari, Robi, Juri, Slim and others doing for the past 5 years if not testing?

There are many ways to skin/kill a cat (rip Dwain), just like there are many ways to design and test a wingsuit. Modelling's an option, horizontal wind tunnels an option, test flights, another again.

Many of the mod's & developments in the last gen of suits were discovered by chance, not by testing. That's often not the best way to learn...

On another note, funny you should mention Slim, one of his WS's is in my gear room at home!;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

I'm merely a "stupid chick" physicist, with thesis and publications in complex numerical modelling.

Damn, did anyone else find this comment to be extremely sexxy?!?!:o I may have to start looking into taking a trip "down under" to meet you!:$

G'Day Mate!:D

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Wow, thanks JGarcia! I've never had anyone think my being a geek was sexy before!:$ You're welcome here in OZ anytime, and if you can make it out next month we're having the skysisters boogie- so many women....;)

Howdi Speedformula.
If I remember correctly, it was actually a South Australian cab sauv...but the kicker, was that I was drinking it in a restaurant in Germany at the time.

10 points if you can figure out who took the photo...:D
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."