Zeemax

s5?

I have yet to hear anyone talking smack like what goes on here while on a flock but I have seen many a smile and friends made during and after. Lets not forget why we do this.

Well said. can't we just jump and have fun?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

All products take time. We've got an industry essentially composed of small and one man shops. Remember how eager people were for the V-1, and how it ended up taking a month or so longer than anticipated? If I recall correctly, Robert originally wanted to start selling them at Bridge Day, but they ended up not being available for a little bit longer.

It's silly to get up in arms when products are later than expected, because it happens all the time. It's not like anyone in this industry (wingsuits) has bigg budgets and research staffs.

With some of these speciality products(BASE Gear, Wingsuits), I am thankful that someone is making me the product. If I have to wait longer than anticipated, I don't mind.

Kris.

Aside from all the arguments flying back and forth, Zeemax, dont take offence but if as your profile says you have 210 jumps why would you want an S3 let alone an S5 you can pick up a GTi or Skyflyer if you must or any other Gti like intermediate suit. Just because its the newest does not mean you will get the most out of it. I know we have seen this argument befpre so dont take it personally but 210 jump is not a lot to be flying the state of art wingsuits that are currently coming out. Translate this into any other domain and you'd be laughed at, ie canopies, I have 210 jumps now should I wait fot the new Z brace etc etc

Seconded...

Macca, with your body type, you would absolutely kill it in a GTi, man.;) Pour your tall, lanky frame into a GTi and you'll have an all-around suit that can hang with classic's or go balls-out with some S-series suits in mixed flocks.

I'd thought about getting an S-3 once I hit 30-ish jumps on my GTi, but like Chuck says, if you can't jump an S-3 every weekend and keep that level of currency, it can be a dangerous handful.

Just looking out for you, bro.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

but like Chuck says, if you can't jump an S-3 every weekend and keep that level of currency, it can be a dangerous handful.

The S3 is a high performance wingsuit but IMO this advice is overly cautious, an S3 does not require the "currency" of a highly loaded tri-brace canopy for example.

Your performance will suck after a lay off but not your "safety"..
BASEstore.it

I believe the photo linked shows a S3+ prototype. I saw a similar suit in use by the same jumper (Robi) when he was still at Birdman.

I don't know if you'd call it an S4, but sure, I guess.

I believe that suit is actually closer to being a Phoenix Fly V-1 than it is to being an S3. Note the material change on the leading edge.

Does anyone know if the S5 is a continued development along the lines that Robi took with the V-1 (and those S3+ prototypes) or an entirely different direction?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I jumped the "white suit" in Norway, it was a one of the many working prototypes that Robi made in the past.

Surpisingly little of the white suit went in to the V-1 design (Some features like dacron leading edges, mylar inserts were kept). Robi started over, completely redesigning the armwing (3D shape and AoA), legwing, back deflector, winglets, booties, cuffs, swoop chords, cutaway handles, etc etc.

For direction on the S5 best ask Spont - he knows all the BM secrets :P
BASEstore.it

the armwing, 3D shape

I've heard the term '3D shape' quite a few times already.
Could anyone explain what is ment by this?

From the grippers on my RW suit, to the wings on ANY given wingsuit.
Almosy every object on the planet has a 3 Dimensional shape/volume, and can be qualified as a 3D shape.

Is the term '3D shape' based on the fact that it was made/designed with 3D CAD software or is it something that just sounds cool?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

He means the wing is designed to achieve a certain 3-dimensional profile (like any airfoil) when inflated. I don't think it's worded fancy or overstated.

EDIT: He is not saying that "3-d" shape is novel or unique to the V1. He's saying Robi designed the wings for the V-1, in terms of AoA and 3-d shape.

EDIT 2: My apologies if Tom is right and I am wrong. :$ Will shut my mouth until further notice. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

It's my understanding that "3-D shape" refers to the fact that the wings locations are optimized to flight, rather than occupying the same horizontal (i.e. 2-D) plane.

On every other (non V-1) suit I've ever seen, the wings "line up". That is, a straight line drawn from the leading edge of the arm wing down to the trailing edge of the leg wing will pass through all the wing surfaces. I do not believe this is the case with the V-1.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. If you draw a line from the leading edge of an aircraft wing back to the trailing edge of the tail, you _don't_ pass through all of both wings (tail and main wing). Aircraft have wings with optimized angle of attack (relative to the body). As far as I know the V-1 is the only suit so far to bring this advance into the world of wingsuits.

edit to add: If my understanding is incorrect, I'm sure that UncleCharlie can elaborate on where I've gone astray.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sure. But the trailing edge is sewn to the side of the suit. And the angle between the two is determined by the manufacture of the suit as well.

I'm not sure that the installed angle of incedence matters on a wingsuit. It isn't a rigid wing. They usually have a great deal of washout along the cord. In the case of arm grippers you get wash- out,wash- in or a bowed up trailing edge. The fatter the cord the greater this effect.

I'm not sure this is what Robert is refering too when the term 3dee is used. I'm not sure of much though. By example I'm not sure where I left my kidneys.

Nor in first or second case EVER IN THE HISTORY an old product has been tested in order to make a new (and for sure not better) one!!! So bodypilot1...sorry, but what you're saying, diserves only one answer - BULLSHIT!:S

Sorry iXic, but “Speedformula” (not Bodypilot1!?) is correct. You've missed the first rule in research- to do your homework. How do you know your new product is better, if you have nothing to compare it with?

For any kind of research (incl pre-season F1 testing), you always go out and see what’s been done before & compare your test results & overall performance with historical/previous data. In cases where there's no calibration, no baseline data and no control data on record, acquiring this data through testing (be it your own or others' relevant tests) is not a recommendation for your research, but a prerequisite.

We can sit here and debate for hours about academia/experience if you want, I'm merely a "stupid chick" physicist, with thesis and publications in complex numerical modelling. But at the end of the day,
"I have x academic qualifications" doesn't necessarily equate to either of us being right.
Not to mention, its a bit of a wank.;)
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Tom, you are right on the money.

The armwing is the best (+ innovative) feature of the V-1. The wing is manufactured as a true 3D shape, with curved bottom skin and top skin, to achieve a predefined airfoil. You really see the difference when it is inflated and WOW you can feel the difference!

It took Robi many many hours of work using CAD software (as used for modern canopy design).

The result is a wing that is a joy to fly, it inflates naturally in the correct shape and you must relax a little and let the wing do the work. (As Perry wrote in his post).

The AOA is fundamental to all flying Vector!

btw. very interesting application of the word "wank" Jasmin, must remember that one.:)
BASEstore.it

Sweetie, don't be upset - it hurts the beauty ;)...Actually you're right! Of course you have to take into consideration the prerequisites before making a new product...But than I only have one question for you? What were Jari, Robi, Juri, Slim and others doing for the past 5 years if not testing? :P

What were Jari, Robi, Juri, Slim and others doing for the past 5 years if not testing?

Dreaming, jumping, smiling, flying?

There are so many people we owe for where we are today.

The 1st generation Birdmen (1935 - 1965?) did the sport such a dis service it took years before the concept of a safe Wingsuit jump was actually accepted. Several people were working on different projects simultaniously.

Lets see who we owe here... I'm bound to screw this up so everyone feel free to add and edit, OK?

1. Patrick - for reopening pandora's box.
2. Robi/Jari for the Roberts cut away system and a 1st flight training program
3. Loic for a different aproach and some mind blowingly inspirational footage
4. The Sugar Glider people for looking hard at the "Low and slow" side.
5. Literally hundreds of us ordinary jumpers who grasped this new view of an old concept and practically sold our souls to the reallity of human flight, who now sit and bicker among ourselves over small % tech improvements that do little to improve the tone of a soul in full flight.

It all comes back to that Classic section of "Jonathan"

``You are a very fast flier, aren't you?''
``I... I enjoy speed,'' Jonathan said, taken aback but proud that the Elder had noticed.
``You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathan, in the moment that you touch perfect speed. And that isn't flying a thousand miles an hour, or a million, or flying at the speed of light. Because any number is a limit, and perfection doesn't have limits. Perfect speed, my son, is being there.''

Look around you people. We are all there. Can't we just enjoy the ride?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

The 1st generation Birdmen (1935 - 1965?) did the sport such a dis service...

Wow. Seriously? Would we even be jumping if it weren't for them? How many early/experimental parachutists lost their lives and did they do us a disservice too?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

The AOA is fundamental to all flying Vector!

:)

You are right, but how the wing mates to the body is incedence ( how Tom described it) how the wing lines up to the oncoming air is AOA. A much more important factor.

But I see what you mean about a true airfoil. All of the designs up till now didn't have much more than two lines trailing off the arm to form the profile of the upper and lower wing surfaces, a very simple airfoil. While most of the top performing suits featured real airfoils for use in the legs. That is up till now.

I have to disagree with this statement. Having seen and filmed many a flock were those who were returning after a lay off not only danger others in the flock but themselves. Be it either on exit or at pull time, having a suit fly you instead of the other way around can be a safety issue. The old adage "It's better to be safe than sorry" goes a long way, especially when ones life and well being is on the line.

BTW: Nice hijack;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have to disagree with this statement. Having seen and filmed many a flock were those who were returning after a lay off not only danger others in the flock but themselves.

This may be a difference in the types of flying you guys are doing.

Scott, do you think that flockers ought to start with a lower end suit when returning from a lay off? Or start with fewer flyers around? Or both?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com