Courteney

Wobble!!!

Howzit,

Did a jump today from 10grand, had 99secs flight opening just under 3grand. But was kinda wobbling from side to side. Why? I thought that I might be a bit stiff but even when I relaxed I still wobbled slightly. My body position seemed to be fine. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Courteney.
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!

my guess would be flying at stall speeds which may be due to you flying head high and losing the forward drive, stall speed can be slower if the forward drive is still high.

Maybe try flying with your head looking down more instead of looking at the horizon so much this can cause more of a head low attitude and build forward speed without sacraficing lift -

I maybe wrong but its a thought

Jason

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

But was kinda wobbling from side to side.

Some times when your riding the edge of performance you go over it slightly and you can get some wobble on any of the axis. Wobble from side to side can usually be eliminated by relaxing the muscles in your upper body(shoulders and arms)and allowing your elbows to roll back a little. Once the wobble stops you can re attempt that max body position.

Wobble fore and aft is similar to an AFF student potato chipping and for the same reasons, a rigid body position. It's fixed the same way, relaxing and pushing the hips downward.

With 2 new BMIs in your neck of the woods, either one of them can help you out with problems like these in person and in the air:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I was going to ask "Does it seem like you are not covering much ground?"

If you answered yes, I'll second Jason's answer.

I went thru this phase where I kept looking forward with a chin up position. Attempts to de-arch from this position resulted in side to side wobbles.

Check out the picture Jim posted with his post. he also explains this position.

Hope this helps.

Kris.

Thanks for the reply,

Actually my head position was looking straight down, elbows slightly bent and rolled forward and was grabbing the wing tips of my GTi. Slight dearch in my chest. I tried relaxing my elbows but didn't seem to help. I did cover a fair bit of ground. Was I maxed?

Did Tonto pass the BMI course? Who else from my neck of da woods?

Thanks for the advice, will try it out asap. Is 99sec from 10grand at sea level, average speed of 52mph, (first ave-53mph, sec ave-51mph) is that any good in a GTi? I'm 6' and weigh about 180lbs with gear.

Is 99sec from 10grand at sea level, average speed of 52mph, (first ave-53mph, sec ave-51mph) is that any good in a GTi? I'm 6' and weigh about 180lbs with gear.

That's not shabby at all for a GTI. However, as you improve I know you will get even lower averages, but don't get too wrapped up in the numbers game ;) Keep up the good work
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I'm 6'1 185lbs flying a GTi for about a year, and I have occasionally had the side-to-side wobble too. I have even see it on video that Voodew and Professor took of me. It seemed to be related to dropping my hands lower than my belly when I was tensing up to dearch & get my butt higher. If I dropped my arms back slightly, the wobble stopped.

It was kinda like my arms and chest were wrapping a big ball when I was dearching, thus cupping air which spilled out side to side. Anyway, now I just drop my arms back a little if I feel the wobble coming on and it goes away.

Old Guys Rock!