bgy8nas

Will a CYPRES2 fire under a swoop?

I have heard that audible altimeters can sound for the third time at any point under their lowest setting provided the required speed is reached and so as a result they often beep if the jumper swoops his/her canopy. Is this the same with the cypres2 (expert) or will it only fire at 750 feet? Is there any danger of a cypress2 firing during a swoop.

Apologies if this is a stupid question :S!

Cheers

Nick

I have heard that audible altimeters can sound for the third time at any point under their lowest setting provided the required speed is reached and so as a result they often beep if the jumper swoops his/her canopy. Is this the same with the cypres2 (expert) or will it only fire at 750 feet? Is there any danger of a cypress2 firing during a swoop.

Apologies if this is a stupid question :S!

Cheers

Nick

I forget where but I did read a test of someone with 89ft² and 79ft² (or so) that was able to trick his cypres into firing while doing high performance maneuvers under canopy.
A cypres will fire at +-750ft or lower so yes, it could happen. I'm not sure a swoop is enoguh to trick it though.
*Trying to find that article again.*

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

There's an article about this in a recent copy of Skydiving magazine. Someone did some trials under 3 different sub-100sqft canopies with a test cypres (i.e. one not in his reserve container). IIRC he came close to quoted cypres firing speeds, but he could not actually make the thing fire, though he stopped short of concluding it was therefore impossible.

But it's probably better to check out a copy yourself than rely on my half-remembered version.

Geoff

IIRC he came close to quoted cypres firing speeds, but he could not actually make the thing fire, though he stopped short of concluding it was therefore impossible.

It didn't fire under the 99 but it did under the 86. Vertical speed under a 74 wasn't significantly higher raising the question of a canopy "terminal velocity". The article is by Troy Ketsdever on page 27 of the latest Skydiving (Issue #266). This was with an original Cypres though.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Some pro swoopers are now initiating their swoops at around 700 ft and their canopies are aproaching 79mph vertical speed.

As Troy points out in his article,

According to the CYPRES manual (page 9), "In the event of a breakaway below this height Cypres will operate down to approximately 130 feet AGL."

Thus, we can conclude that any high-performance landing approach that builds enough downward speed prior to 130 feet AGL could result in a CYPRES fire. I think that my test demonstrates that this is not outside the realm of possibility.

I know Kai from Airtec reads these forums and certainly read Skydiving so I wouldn't be surprised by a response from them
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

As Troy points out in his article,

I think that my test demonstrates that this is not outside the realm of possibility.

It's NEVER outside the realm of posibility. There have been "unrequired" cypres fire's recorded as a result of radio transmission.

I still think it's unlikely.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I seem to recall reading a record swoop speed (horizontal) of 70+ mph. Maybe this is bad logic, but I would think to get that fast horizontal, you'd probably be going faster in the dive. But then again the dive isn't completely vertical...

(I don't know a thing about swooping...)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The ProTrack gives the warning sound at a speed of over 29m/s vertical descent rate, so there is still about 20% speed margin to the 35m/s vertical speed needed for a cypres fire.
B|
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Well, the other question i would be interested in, are cypres required at swoop comps?
And do all the competitors use one? Just curious, not implying anything..

I wouldn't have thought so, but how should i know?
Just about to get my first rig with dive loops...:)And yeah, i'm a conservative flyer.;)

I know Kai from Airtec reads these forums and certainly read Skydiving so I wouldn't be surprised by a response from them

...Yes, we do read Skydiving :-)
In the new issue(#267), there is a detailed response on page 36-37.

Blue Skies- long swoops

Kai Koerner
Airtec GmbH