The111

food for thought

I've heard lots of opinions about people getting S3's or other hi-perf suits as "vanity purchases" when they're not able to get the most performance out of what they have currently. Kallend made the point that you can own a sports car without having to drive it to the limit all the time.

Here is my perspective based on my own new experience. I put 75 jumps on a GTi. I don't know that I got the full performance out of it. I did 125-130 seconds (avg 52mph) a few times, but they were shaky and inconsistent, and with my build I've been told I could do better. I bought an S3 anyway. I've put 20 jumps on it now. I've only done 3 solos and haven't exceeded 110 seconds - I get very shaky when I try to max out for too long. I've done quite a few flock jumps and found myself VERY comfortable flocking in the suit. I am flying at far less potential than I was with the GTi, so if I do need a large input, it's available. But in general I am able to fly VERY tight and relaxed in this suit. I am flying much tighter than I ever did in the GTi, but to be fair that could have something to do with the fact that I have been jumping for 5 days straight and am seeing a huge boost in my skills because of the currency/frequency thing.

Anyway, just wanted to add fuel to the fire. :) Not saying when anyone else should go to an S3 (or V-1 or whatever) or why, but I am saying that even though I can't max mine out yet (will learn soon when I have nobody to flock with), and arguably didn't FULLY max out my GTi, I am very safe in this suit, my flocking has improved, I have great deployments, and I'm having FUN!!! B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I don't know if just feel that way, but what I see is that when paeople are talking about getting the max performance out of their suits they just compare some digits from their ProTracs. And decide that if they can fly that slow, they are at the end of the performance envelope their suits and instantly need a more advanced one. What I feel is that people should spend more time learning the whole performance envelope of their suits. Not just learning to fly "flat out". It means the performance in fast forward flying and best glide ratio, 3D relative flying, close flying with people with the low end suit (it becomes more difficult with advanced suits), 3D-awareness and for example instability issues.

Driving a sports car straight with full throttle doesn't require that much skill. Flying through the curves and hairpins, passing by slower ones and competition tactics does.

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

I don't know if just feel that way, but what I see is that when paeople are talking about getting the max performance out of their suits they just compare some digits from their ProTracs.

You are absolutely correct. I have felt for some time that there is way too much "digital fixation" and its not just by the new flyers, experienced jumpers are 50% of the "digitally distracted". If you fly alone then there is no fault in being good friends with your neptune and protrack. But keep in mind when you join flocks there will other methods to benchmark performance. Performance flying is just that, being precise and in control. Its no different than other forms of skydiving. You have to fly your slot AND your heading.

I have three audible alti's and they never perfectly agree. I'm sure if I added some form of GPS I would just have another completely different number to conflict with the existing three, No thanks.