leoholanda

Landing well discussed, but taking off?

I saw the post by dan preston in the "Landing a wingsuit" thread:

many people have heard the incorect story that patrick de. g. was trying to land a wing suit down a snow covered mountain. i was told by adrian n. that this story came about because he was fitting ski skids to the chest of a suit for patrick. the intention was not however to land on a slope but to take off from one

Adding the ideas of my friend Guto I started to wonder about...

What if a good water skier and wingsuit flyer, wearing his wingsuit, attaches a very long rope to his waist, and a fast boat starts to pull him until he goes up lite a kite? he he he...

Didn't Patrick fly a WS in a horizontal wind tunnel by attaching an anchor point to his belly button area leading to floor out in front of him?

It seems like the same principal, aside from the much higher possibility of death or disfigurment doing it out in the real world.

I'm sure I saw some video of this, and he may have had some tethers to keep him from straying too far off center and hitting the wall.

Didn't Patrick fly a WS in a horizontal wind tunnel

Yeah, I believe it was in cool stuff. In fact, that is exactly what Jari is doing right now to test the new line of BirdMan suits being refined as we speak.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Didn't Patrick fly a WS in a horizontal wind tunnel by attaching an anchor point to his belly button area leading to floor out in front of him?

I have a docu on Adrian Nicolas, who's hanging in a windtunnel with his wingsuit, attached on a 2 point harnas I believe.

Don't know if you ever saw Felix Baumgarters birdman-towing action?
Birdman towed by a plane (or 'how to destroy a classic plane in 15 seconds' B|:P)
Looked like a spinning kite...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I tried using a quadbike, but didn't get enough lift in a Classic I doing 50mph..... need more speed!

Having said that, my angle of attack was all wrong - relying on drag on the leg wing lower surface to get me horizontal so I could start flying. I'll see if I can get the video :P

Which wind tunnel is he using?

Dunno but it is in Europe and as far as I know it is a privately owned tunnel

As far as I know (based on what I've been talking about with Jari and Jussi) he doing the testing in Helsinki University of Technology's Aerodynamical Departments laboratory. They have a wind tunnel there and the lab is located in Espoo Finland, just couple of kilometers outside of Helsinki. http://www.aero.hut.fi/
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Which wind tunnel is he using?

Dunno but it is in Europe and as far as I know it is a privately owned tunnel

As far as I know (based on what I've been talking about with Jari and Jussi) he doing the testing in Helsinki University of Technology's Aerodynamical Departments laboratory. They have a wind tunnel there and the lab is located in Espoo Finland, just couple of kilometers outside of Helsinki. http://www.aero.hut.fi/

Yep, that would be it. Lots of fun for sure;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING