cynci

Night-Bird jumps

Wow, what an awesome weekend... beautiful weather. Along with some great jumps during the day, I did my first night birdman jump. I know I can't be the first to do that, I was just wondering about other experiences with night birdman jumps. Here is mine…

The organizer (Thanks Rob) did a wonderful job of timing our first jump of the night to coincide with the rising of the still mostly full moon. I was definitely a little fearful but the anticipation was invigorating. On the ride up the moon began to crest over the horizon and by the time we got to altitude it was clear but still very low and very orange. There was one freeflyer out before me and my jump partner and the rest of the load did hop-and-pops (they had a great view too). Our exit was a lot of fun, him a free flyer and me in my suit. We exited in a round and just off the hill I let go and took off. Once I let go, my tail wing was already inflated and I just opened my arms. I headed due east towards the moon and then headed a little north then back west to the DZ. Night jumps always seem to last for ever for me and this one was a life time. Gliding above the coast of Florida in an all black suit on all halloo’s eve with a magnificent view and full moon in the dark was completely energizing. The flight itself went perfectly as well. When I landed I was all tingly and cold and hot at the same time with a smile plastered on my face (which is still there). I think that I experienced my first air-gasm on that jump. :D
~ Cyn
--going nowhere at lightening speed!--

really . hummmmmmmmm. Not to mention that increadable "stealing of Home" Landing you had there. Your smile was so big when you touched down we could have turned off all the car lights and it still would have been bright enough for the rest of the jumpers to land fine. I was bouncing around on here and found this mod for the birdman suits for night jumps. You may be interested. could be neet to see...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=560488;search_string=glo;#560488

Blue Skies
Life is easy. You make choice's and you never look back..

I did a night time wingsuit jump earlier this summer at it was totally cool. However, much to the load's surprise the winds above 1k were very very strong (we shouldn't have jumped) and in retrospective I spent much too much time unzipping everything and not enough time flying my canopy into the wind. But if you can believe it, I was the only person on the load to make it back due to the winds. Everyone else landed off.

Still it was awesome to check out the lights of Denver at night time under my windsuit and I look forward to my next night time wingsuit jump. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Oooo, landing out at night, not on the top of list of things i want to do.:S I guess flocking would be out of the question at night. Unless maybe you had a relaay bright glow stick on you reserve flap as to be seen but not mess up your night vision.
I would like to try a two way night bird man. Maybe matt will be up for it next time. But that solo was wonderful, I would do it again in a heart beat.

<3
~ Cyn
--going nowhere at lightening speed!--