Nightingale

Packing

From FAR Section 105.43:

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use by a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certificated parachute rigger.

Direct Supervision means that a certificated rigger personally observes a non-certificated person packing a main parachute to the extent necessary to ensure that it is being done properly, and takes responsibility for that packing.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

watch people a lot then buy someone some beer to teach you. You should be able to pack after a dozen attempts or so but will need practice to get good.

you may want to get a packing certificate (stricktly speeking you must) which basically entails getting a rigger (?) to mess up a canopy a bit and see that you can pack it. In this UK this is specific to each type of canopy into each type of container.

in reality, many DZ's wont care if you have a cert or not but you must at least be able to demonstrate that you can pack. this will depend on what DZ you go to.

and what country your in

Usually, DZs have a certain way they want their staff packers to pack. Its different for different things. Especially when it comes to packing tandems and/or larger canopies.

Talk to the head-packer/the supervising rigger about that.

If you're just interested in packing, PD puts out one hell of a packing video that will really help you along.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

At places like Perris, World Freefall Convention and Eloy, the packers actually have agreements with the DZ for packing consessions. Basically they get agreements saying that no one else is allowed to get paid to pack on the DZ since they purchaced the rights to run that type of business there. Its ok for you to pack for yourself, or to pack for some friends/team. But you can't just put up a sign saying packer for hire. The DZ prevents people from opening up more packing and the consessions pay their fees to operate there.

In general you can learn to pack from almost any experenced jumper. I'd find a rigger to teach you only since they can teach you more then just packing, like how to look for maintence issues too. Some riggers will teach for free, some a beer after jumping, and some have class fees. Ask around and see if something like that is included in your A licence package.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ask around and see if something like that is included in your A licence package.

It deeply bothers me that some places don't teach you how to pack as part of your student progression and that some places charge extra for teaching how to pack. Do instructors charge to teach how to spot? No. Its apart of the student progression. Do instructors charge to teach how to do gear checks? No. Its part of the student progression. Why should places expect people to learn on their own how to pack or charge them extra to learn how to pack?

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I second that thought soo much!

Doesn't include the A license the ability to pack a parachute?
My german license entitles me to even repack my own reserve, which i think is kinda scary and some (thankfully very few) people cheat the repack cycle like this.:S
But if i can't repack the gear i jump and there's no packer around, what will i do? Stop jumping for the day? NO WAY! ;)
How are people to know if the equipment they jump is in order or not without packing it?
It is a matter of responsibility and safety. An A licensed skydiver can jump at ANY DZ he wants. (right?)
So he sould be able to do the whole job.
MHO
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Doesn't include the A license the ability to pack a parachute?

Here the instructors will not sign your A license application if you don't know how to pack.

Packing lessons and spotting lessons are free of charge, the way it must be.

To be a DZ packer for our club, you need to pack 20 times (from F111 to ZP from square to elliptical) with the direct and strict supervition of the rigger, show the ability to clear any mess out of a canopy (including untwisting the toggle lines) and know how to release the 3 rings and install them again; after those pre-requirements you need to take a packers course with the rigger where he will teach you how to make a general check to the canopy when packing (slinks, metal links, check for rusted rings etc.), teach you some stuff about the canopy (A, B, C, D lines etc) and will give you a chart on how to close the different containers and some other things.

Oh yeah and you have to be friendly or else you wont get the authorization from the club. B|

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

what are the requirements to get a packing certificate?

The person who mentioned this is from the UK, they have different standards there.

IN the USA refer to the FAR (federal aviation regulation) quoted above. Basically, only the person intending to jump the main canopy pack job may pack it. This means you may only pack for yourself.

The second clause says that the main canopy may also be packed by a certificated parachute rigger, or someone supervised by a rigger. If you are not a rigger, you need to find a rigger who will 'supervise' your packing for others on a DZ.

Getting your rigger's ticket is expensive compared to just learning to pack a main canopy and finding a rigger on the DZ to supervise you. :)
Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken