Shawndiver

Bungy Pilot Chutes

Hi All,
I may have an opportunity to get introduced to wing suits this weekend. I have reservations about my bungy pilot chute however (yes, I know, but I have never had a need to change it formation skydiving!). So, is this something that must go for birdman suits? Thanks!

They are not recommended, but I've seen them used successfully a number of times. Just be sure to get a good, strong throw and then close your wings immediately (very fast) after pitching. Keep them closed through deployment. Kill-line or non-collapsible should work best in regular use.

Are you going up with a BM-I? If so, let them know that you have a bungee PC, and they'll give you tips on deployment (and force you to practice over and over again). Strong extraction and fast retraction.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

So, is this something that must go for birdman suits? Thanks!

I highly suggest you DON'T use a bungy pilot chute on Birdman jumps. Birdman Inc. does not recommend their use and all instructors should strongly discourages people from using them for good reasons. The issue has to deal with the low speeds encountered on Birdman jumps and the pilot chute not inflating enough to extract the pin. This goes back to the "better safe than sorry" adage. Don't make the flight harder than it has to be.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thats what I was thinking also. Although they say that bungy should be set up to inflate in the 60mph range, I have not actually tested it at anything less than terminal. I will see if I can get it swapped out before spreading my wings. One less thing to think about... thanks guys!
Shawn

I will see if I can get it swapped out before spreading my wings.

That's the best thing to do. Scott is absolutely right in that they should not be used with wingsuits. This is also what I teach. In fact, I carry an extra kill line PC with me wherever I go to hook up to the rigs of students using "incompatible" PCs.

Now, I'm speaking from a VERY literal standpoint here. Do not take this as a blessing to go and use a bungee PC. Some people refuse or "don't have the means" (bullshit) to jump anything else. If that's the case, bungee PCs can be used, but they must be used differently than a kill line or non-collapsible. Those that use them will generally leave their wings closed for several seconds, get back into or near "normal" freefall speeds, throw hard and fast, and retract fast.

NOBODY is going to go back into belly-to-earth freefall speeds EVERY time -- especially if altitude awareness is lost and they're dumping low. If you use a bungee PC with a wingsuit, it will very likely catch up to you sooner than later, and you'll have a PC in tow, which can lead into a host of other issues and debates... and plague. Yeah, plague.

IMHO, I personally think bungees shouldn't be used in ANY context, but I've heard plausible arguments from those who use them for other disciplines. My rebuttal: it's not that hard to cock a kill line. :)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

The simplest thing is to untie your bungee from the apex of your pilot chute.
Judging by your profile, you are jumping a Triathlon and I am assuming that it is a fairly large Triathlon. Up to wing loadings of about 1 pound per square foot, collapsible pilot chutes (of any style) make little difference in canopy handling.

Now as Lou and Steve have stated you should if at all possible switch to a correct style of PC. However, if you do not want to, you can collapse your wings totally about 500 to 800 feet before pulling. By collapsing your wings you are slowing your forward speed and increase your fall rate. That will put you closer to belly to earth speeds. I do not suggest this be done on a regular bases and once again you should get it change. I had found myself at one time having a rig that I believed to be very unfriendly for wingsuit flying. The rigs bottom corners are sewn up about 2”inches toward the reserve container. Which creates a pocket at the bottom by doing what I described I had no problem wingsuit flying. I have now a container that is wingsuit friendly and if wingsuit flying is in your future make sure you get the proper equipment.
Kirk

I may have an opportunity to get introduced to wing suits this weekend.

So did you get the chance to jump a suit?
Next time your out at Lodi dont hesitate to ask me about wingsuits.
Lodi is mainly where I run my West Coast Wingsuit School and I'd be glad to explain anything you'd like to know about wingsuits.
I'll also tyake a look at your gear and assist you in the modifications you may need to be jumping it with a wingsuit.

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com