kansasskydiver

Arm cutaway didn't cutaway...

I hooked up my suit last night and was going over my EP's and went to simulate getting out of my wings if I needed to. I waved off, simulated linetwist and grabbed my arm wing cutaways then pulled. The right wing came off but the left didn't. I tried again and it didn't come out. I'm sure I could have gotten it but wanted to inspect what was happening.

I took off the suit and made sure I had started with the body tab, skipped the 3rd wing tab and did 2 body tabs in a row. Everything looked fine, but on the ground the cable came out fine. My ony guess is that the cable was rubbing on my hip ring? but I didn't think I had gotten it wrong. I hooked it up again and did it a couple more times just fine...

Anyone have any insights to what may have caused this? The cables seem to "stick" a little bit. Should I take care of this with a light coat of sewing machine oil, or is this not recommended on a ws cutaway system?

I just wanna make sure I'm good to go for my first flight and that I have everything hooked up properly and that kinda freaked me out, but I haven't been able to recreate the situation nor was it stuck on the ground:S
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

just a question, on Birdman suits the handles are quite low and you have to pull them like in front/up... Is there a possibility that if you pull the handle less in front and more upwards, the cable would have a very important bend and maybe cause that kind of problem ???
before going jumping 1st time with my Sfly, I was "taught " a method to catch the handle with one hand and pull it sideways... tried it, only the left wing opened... due to the bend, the right one did not... hopefully I was on my sofa to try it...
after that did the course with BABYLON and was instructed to catch it with 2 thumbs and push the arms forward, they then cut directly...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I am assuming that you had the velcro 'peeled' when you encountered the problem, right?

If not, velcro can be much different release forces whether you peel (pulling the velcro directly apart) or pull in 'shear'.

Assuming this isn't the problem you are citing, cables can definitely bind, and there are 'better' strip techniques and 'worse' strip techniques. But that being said, unless you are a monkey with long arms, you are going to be pulling in a direction that is at least 90 degrees perpendicular to the wing seam. It is always going to be harder than pulling the cable along the line of the wing seam (since you are pulling in a direction that increases the force on the tabs).

I, personally, would not lube those cables with anything but a dry, teflon based substance (there are lube sprays that dry and leave only a thin film of teflon). And even then, less is better. Geting oil/lube/etc. on your suit can be a mess I think.

j

Another thing: your arm handles are not your first course of action in a spinner, your zippers are. I can unzip in the same amount of time it takes to pull those handles. Your handles get used when you jam a zipper or blow a wing out

Thanks for that pointer. I'm really trying to get familiar to all the parts of the suit and different situations. I'll practice on that one today.

Just like your cutaway cables on your rig, you need to keep the cables on your suit clean and slick.

And don't forget straight. For most people it is not a concern but I have inspected suits in the field where the cut away cables are routed on the wing tab instead of the body side tab where the main lift web and laterals go through the wings. In a few instances the cables have taken a set, in some cases its a hard set of almost 90 degrees.

These cables have no " hard housings" to keep them straight. If you route them on the body side when passing the omitted tabs they have a better chance of staying straighter than the wing side.

Try pulling up on the loops and to the front once and then try up and out to the sides and tell me which one worked best for you . I am thinking you may have something funky going on with your cable routing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Try pulling up on the loops and to the front once and then try up and out to the sides and tell me which one worked best for you . I am thinking you may have something funky going on with your cable routing.

will do so. It only happen once and when i took it off to see what was wrong it was fine. Is is possible it was rubbing up against my hip ring? I'll go put back on my suit tonight after I pack and see what it does. I put 2 jumps on the suit today and didn't have a problem with anything. I don't have a basis of comparison really, but I think the cut corners really help a lot. The 2nd jump was just awesome!