dragon2

Wingsuit camera jumping?

I only have done a couple CReW camera jumps so far, and one solo freefall camera jump with a lineover :S

I have like 40 BM jumps so far (no logbook handy). I plan on doing a LOT of BM jumps this year.

I have 460 jumps total.

What would you say I need to do before starting filming BM?

Rules here say I have to have 200 freefall formation jumps to do freefall camera jumps (I can do camera hop'npops tho, hence the CReW), right now I still need like 40, so starting sometime this summer I should be allowed to start freefalling with my camera's.

I don't flatfly much, so if I wanted to film that, best thing I suppose would be to LEARN to flatfly first, taking up lots of time & money I'd rather spend doing BM, CReW and freefly (in that order). [:/].

Freeflying I'm not really very good at yet, I can do decent head-up, but no head-down.
I suppose I could bring my camera's along in sit-fly jumps...

So, anybody have any advise?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Start with a side mount camera helmet with no still---

Add the still later--video cameras have gotten so small you hardly know its there.

I was told that sometime before, forgot about it tho, thanx.

Of course, since I started out doing CReW, I own a TRV25 and have a top-mount helmet [:/] (which since it is a modified pro-tec needs replacing anyway, but a PC camera is so much $$$$)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Top mount it... I'm getting away from using my Sidemount and getting a topmount for this season. I had a few riser strikes on opening last year due to the extra violent opening and my head getting tossed around so much.

Be able to take docks and fly a steady, stable base. After that off you go. 40-50 BM flights is when I tossed the camera on too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Things to consider before adding a camera or anything else. You need to be very confident with your deployments. If you're having stability problems on deployment or hard openings from not slowing down you need to work on those areas. Master flying efficiently before adding a camera. Once you add a camera be it side/top or stills, you will find yourself flying in a less than efficient position to keep the subject in frame. Being able to turn or cant your head to the side without inadvertently turning or diving is important as it is also a safety issue. If you're still feeling overwhelmed with everything you must do on a Birdman flight then you might also want to consider waiting until you are more comfortable. Deployment and post opening procedures should be second nature before you add a camera to the mix.

A note of the UTMOST importance that everyone who films or wants to film Birdman flights needs to know. The "best"position for filming Birdman flights is also the most dangerous place you can be on a flight. Placing yourself above and slightly behind a birdman puts you,the cameraman, in the path of not only the burble of the Birdman but the path that a canopy will deploy in. An inadvertent throw, no wave off or an accidental deployment can potentially kill the cameraman in this position. There has already been one such incident and the cameraman was caught up in the lower Birdman's canopy. It was pure Lucky for both that the cameraman was able to clear the canopy off of himself and deploy his own canopy.

I am currently working on an article specifically on this subject and will share it as soon as it's done.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Also be aware that as people look at you from side,most will turn toward you,be ready,you will also have to learn to "fly blind",with fast pace,you have to look up,spilling air and trying to sink from subject,all you can do is hope they drop down on put your chin on your chest,slight dive and gain altitude,dont fly into subjects as you come back up,remember to raise head,you sink
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

You need to be very confident with your deployments. If you're having stability problems on deployment or hard openings from not slowing down you need to work on those areas.

The Matter suit I jumped gave me all kinds of small problems at and after deployment time, but with my Classic (besides the first couple jumps) all deployments are on-heading, line-twist-free and not too hard.

Master flying efficiently before adding a camera.

Check.

Once you add a camera be it side/top or stills, you will find yourself flying in a less than efficient position to keep the subject in frame. Being able to turn or cant your head to the side without inadvertently turning or diving is important as it is also a safety issue.

OK I can practice that, I think I can move my head around freely now but I'll check this close to somebody else.

If you're still feeling overwhelmed with everything you must do on a Birdman flight

Never did ;)

Which may be why I may not be allowed to go jump BM camera without first doing other freefall camera work....

then you might also want to consider waiting until you are more comfortable. Deployment and post opening procedures should be second nature before you add a camera to the mix.

It is.

A note of the UTMOST importance that everyone who films or wants to film Birdman flights needs to know. The "best"position for filming Birdman flights is also the most dangerous place you can be on a flight. Placing yourself above and slightly behind a birdman puts you,the cameraman, in the path of not only the burble of the Birdman but the path that a canopy will deploy in. An inadvertent throw, no wave off or an accidental deployment can potentially kill the cameraman in this position. There has already been one such incident and the cameraman was caught up in the lower Birdman's canopy. It was pure Lucky for both that the cameraman was able to clear the canopy off of himself and deploy his own canopy.

You talking about something that happened at my DZ? Or another such incident..?

I am currently working on an article specifically on this subject and will share it as soon as it's done.

OK cool.

thanx....

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have now approx 150 video jumps, I dream of taking my camera along for a wingsuit flight... but I can't fly it well enough to bring back pictures... Maybe 4 suit jumps is not enough. Hope that before the end of the summer I feel the thing better :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I have over 500 wingsuits about half with cameras on.It is very hard to fly clean with all that on head,remain still and fly,just keep flying and you will get some shots,be relaxed and take your time
Only he can be happy,who can make his the present hour,for today he has lived

Nah, I did the website, and shot ground footage and from the planes. No freefall camera work yet [:/] and definately not something like that! :o:ph34r:

Edited to add: although come to think of it, standing in the landing area may be just as dangerous! ;) Right, eh, left hand circuit? Whatwasit? Whaddayamean I can't hook? Watch out!!

:D:D:D

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanx ;) And yeah, it was definately WAY WAY COOL B|

Also nice was meeting a couple people I've seen here on dropzone (thanx, billvon ;)), and the camera crew was great as well. Some of those I knew because I'm with our national skydiving magazine, but only by email, so now we have seen each others faces :)

So, next step, learn how to fly :S:D

And how to land in between 671 other people B|:D

So, anybody else with a nice event that needs a website..? Hint hint...... :ph34r:

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yeah, among others. He borrowed my still camera for a bit but it had the same problems as his....

BTW If you ever think about downsizing or getting a faster canopy, watch him with that Spectre! MAN that is so amazing.

Cool thing, out of 10 camera persons, there were 4 jumping Spectres.

ciel bleu,
Saskia