Aylett2004

Time to Riggers Ticket

How long does it take to get a riggers ticket if one is really dedicated to it? How long did those of you who are riggers take from deciding it was a goal to obtaining the rating? I was hoping to start this weekend (under mentorship) and have it by Thanksgiving. Is this realistic?

Live fast.

Aylett

Hee! Hee!
Are you talking about American Thanksgiving (late October) or Canadian Thanksgiving (late November)?

Learning to rig is like learning a language, it depends upon how many hundred hours you can devote to the process.

The brightest students earn rigger's ratings during the 9 day courses offered by Dave DeWolf, Tom Dolphin etal. Mind you most of them did their homework and packed a dozen reserves under supervision before they arrived at the course.
Most of us take longer to earn a rigger rating.
If you can only rig on weekends, plan on a month or two.
It took me a total of three months to earn my Canadian Rigger A rating. That included three weekends in Fredericton and a lot of homework.
After a few years experience rigging part-time, my FAA Senior Rigger rating only required a couple of days testing. Frankly, it took me longer to drive to the FAA office in Rochester and Dave DeWolf's place that it did to take the tests.
After three years experience working in parachute factories, I finally summoned up the courage to take my FAA Master Rigger test. This time, the examiner (DPRE Annie Helliwell) was so familiar with my work, that the paperwork took longer than the practical tests
In conclusion, good luck in your chosen career and remember that the learning starts AFTER you earn the license..

That's the best thing anyone has said to me. Thank you. My primary reason for wanting it is just knowing my gear. I'm not comfortable trusting something I don't understand, and I want to be able to inspect and care for it myself. I'm a control freak like that.

Live fast,
Aylett

I went thru DeWolf's course and I had not packed a reserve before the course; others had. I had watched a few reserves packed and prepared for the written exam before the course.

DeWolf has several DPRE's and senior/master riggers, with 20+ years experience, teaching at his course. You learn a lot very quickly.

Your rigger's ticket is a 'license to learn'.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Ditto-The days started around 6:30AM and went till about 10PM with a short break for lunch. When I knocked off for the day, I'd have at most 2 beers at the local bar and then almost be unconscious. Lonnnng days! Very intensive!
I still have blood, from my fingers, on some of the tools I used while out there.
I was amazed at how much I learned.

Skydive Chicago/Para Concept's course is 1 grueling week long. I took it and worked my patootie off. Started at 8-9am and worked well passed midnight some nights. I believe they are still registering for a November course, check them out.
http://www.para-concepts.com/rigging-services-course.html

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

I did mine the old fashion way. I joined the US Army. After jump school we had 13 weeks to learn all aspects of what we needed to do. Then with 7 years in and several positions with learning exp., I got out and took the FAA militaty comp exam....

And yes, that ticket is still a ticket to learn....
thank you,

Ken.,.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith