Condor

Open at 100 feet?

I am writing a fiction in which the main character needs to open his parachute in the last instant. Then he’s going to have to base jump and land again (he’s being chased by monsters from hell). What is the minimum height from which a person can open his parachute and land unharmed? I ran this by the General Skydiving Discussion Forum and got an average of about 300 feet with one down to 80. What if he’s wearing a wingsuit?

This, by the way, is the same guy who plays “Airball” (see Airball thread, this forum).

Oh, and, he’s going to have to land his wingsuit later if he wants to avoid being eaten. If someone is going to do it the first time, it may as well be a fiction character.

My question is if the guy is being chased by monsters from hell why are you concerned with the technical accuracies of how low he can safely open his chute? It's a work of fiction right? Based on the feedback you got in the other forum you could go with any of those heights and it would be more believable than if you said something like 50 feet. If he did the base jump in a wingsuit the only advantage would be that he would get more horizontal seperation from the fixed object than a non wingsuited jumper.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What is the minimum height from which a person can open his parachute and land unharmed? What if he’s wearing a wingsuit?

If he was wearing a wingsuit and a BASE rig, and maxed out in full flight, he could theoretically dump around 100 feet and walk away.

If he could land the suit, then he ought to be able to flare out and could, theoretically, deploy during a zero fall rate portion of the flight, and use virtually zero altitude to deploy (say, the 20 feet of his line length, plus another ten feet or so for the canopy to bobble as it rights itself).

In real life, the lowest I've seen someone deploy (BASE rig and wingsuit) was about 180 feet. He was not quite in full flight, and he hit the ground before being able to cut away the wings (much less grab the toggles or risers). It's great video, though. Blue Skies, Dwain.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If he did the base jump in a wingsuit the only advantage would be that he would get more horizontal seperation from the fixed object than a non wingsuited jumper.

Not necessarily. A wingsuit deployment takes place largely behind, rather than above, the jumper. On low pulls, this makes a noticeable difference. A wingsuit jumper in full flight can, theoretically (and all else equal) pull lower than a non-wingsuited jumper and walk away.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In real life, the lowest I've seen someone deploy (BASE rig and wingsuit) was about 180 feet. He was not quite in full flight, and he hit the ground before being able to cut away the wings (much less grab the toggles or risers). It's great video, though. Blue Skies, Dwain.

Could you upload it to skydivingmovies.com?

:)

Hey, in General Skydiving you wanted to know about openings over water. That's totally different.

I have seen numerous people deploy mesh slider square BASE rigs at altitudes under 100 feet over water and walk (actually, swim) away.

The lowest I've personally been able to do that is about 80 feet. The lowest I've ever seen video of was probably the Aussie low pull comp, where the winner was apparently knocked unconscious on impact, but was relatively unharmed. I'd estimate he dumped at about 50 feet.

You might also want to consider how hard it's going to be to swim in some super futuristic wingsuit. Swimming in a Skyflyer (1) isn't too bad. But I bet that the more fabric you put in those wings, the harder it's going to be.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

You might also want to consider how hard it's going to be to swim in some super futuristic wingsuit. Swimming in a Skyflyer (1) isn't too bad. But I bet that the more fabric you put in those wings, the harder it's going to be.

Gee tom, what are your lap times in an S1 ? :-)

The lowest I've ever seen video of was probably the Aussie low pull comp, where the winner was apparently knocked unconscious on impact, but was relatively unharmed. I'd estimate he dumped at about 50 feet

This (or similar) jump was on a 45-minute version (it is not on a 31-minute version) of 'Beyond Extreme'... And he dumped at terminal...

:o

The lowest I've ever seen video of was probably the Aussie low pull comp, where the winner was apparently knocked unconscious on impact, but was relatively unharmed. I'd estimate he dumped at about 50 feet

This (or similar) jump was on a 45-minute version (it is not on a 31-minute version) of 'Beyond Extreme'... And he dumped at terminal...

:o

That's the one. I saw it first when I had about 20 skydives. Same jumper as the wingsuit low pull I was talking about earlier.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

A wingsuit deployment takes place largely behind, rather than above, the jumper. On low pulls, this makes a noticeable difference. A wingsuit jumper in full flight can, theoretically (and all else equal) pull lower than a non-wingsuited jumper and walk away.

Tom or other greenies feel free to move this to BASE forum if you want.

So if you stand on a pickup driving on a Brigede by xx(x?)km/h in a alti below freefall doable,you could pull this stunt off?

I think i only saw that done from "plenty" alti..B|still cool he he

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Could you upload it to skydivingmovies.com?

:)

By request, the footage is now both on my web page and on the skydivingmovies.com server. It is called "DW Wires Low.mov".

edit to add: Yes, he really does fly between the guy wires before deploying.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com