The111

Rig modified for WS - use for normal jumping?

I'm a pretty new skydiver with a very big interest in WS flying... I plan on getting into it as soon as I have the required experience and feel ready. I've read a lot on here about modifications to rigs for WS deployments (longer bridles, etc). Question is this: if I only have one rig, and modify it for WS, will it still be as safe to use for normal (freefly, RW, etc) skydiving? My simple mind thinks the answer must be "yes", but is there something I'm overlooking?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Should be. Commom mods I can think of:

-Cut container corners - shouldn't affect normal skydiving. Might give you _slightly_ less protection if you use an oversized main, but you'll see that when you pack it. I've used many an old rig that had more cut corners than even a modern rig cut for wingsuits.

-Longer bridle - shouldn't be an issue.

-Rotating the bag - not an issue, just don't do it.

GASP!! Does this mean Tom got out of an AIRPLANE!

The only issue I've seen is that if you get truely dynamic corners with out the extra materail being sewn in like some BASE rigs have some of the corners can look ugly and have bits of line sticking out.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, as everybody else said, your WS modified rig is as good as non-modified rig for any other discipline as well. I have WS modified wings container (corners cut open) and I've done something around ~400 freeflyjumps with it since the mod and had no problems what so ever.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Why if i may ask!!

By packing your D bag with the grommet facing up you reduce the chances of your D bag hitting a portion of the pack tray as it leaves and creating line twists. This allows the D bag to come cleanly out since BM deployments have the D bag leaving at about a 45 degree angle .
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I've given this extensive thought and there was only one thing I could think of.

The longer bridle (approx 9ft) could increase your chances of an entanglement with the reserve if you were to have a pilot chute in tow. A bridle trailing upwards 9ft with a PC on the end presents a bigger hazard for entanglements.

Please keep in mind that this may increase the chances slightly for a rare situation, but it's something that you should at least be aware of.

Other than that, I cannot think of anything else.

Blue Skies,

Bryan

>A bridle trailing upwards 9ft with a PC on the end presents a bigger
>hazard for entanglements.

While I agree, I was suprised to discover that my previous bridle was 8 feet. When I replaced it with the Birdman PC/bridle (I needed a new PC anyway) it wasn't significantly longer. May be a bigger issue for someone witha shorter bridle.