The111

Orlando Sentinel BM article

My boss in corporate America (I've shown him a WS video before) handed me this newspaper article today:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-vl-lafferty083103.story

Once over the airport, the jumper must clip his wings by yanking on cords that separate the wing material from the suit, restoring the arm motion needed to open the parachute and guide it to a landing.

Is this true? I've never flown a WS or even seen one very close, but I thought I heard you only have to unzip something to fly your canopy.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

You can reach all your handles (PC, cutaway, reserve) without cutting the wings away. You do have to unzip the arms to reach the toggles and fly normally. Some people, in some suits, are able to reach their risers to steer before freeing their arms.

Is the history of that article correct? I thought Jari met Robert (who was already thinking about doing wingsuits) in Arco, robert made one flew it some then sent it to deland for Jari to try.. and away it went.

maybe i'm wrong, but since they already seemed to have mess the article up once i wouldn't be surprised if they took something Jari said and changed it around.

I suggest that you tell your boss.....

"The more experienced wingsuit jumpers have discovered that if they perform an aircraft-type hammerhead stall, that this allows them the seven or eight seconds required to completely unzip the wingsuit, stash it in a convienient pouch, regain stable flight fall rate, light a smoke, pop a brew, and continue to simply skydive like any normal freeflyer or relative work jumper."

doodit and doodoo.....feelin groovy!

no offense intended The111, just pokin a little fun!

Once on a wingsuit jump, after exit I noticed that the jump plane pilot seemed confused about the direction back to airport, so I flew up alongside the cockpit window and pointed him back in the right direction. I was afraid I'd have to lift one of the wings to get him turned around, but only had to deflect the rear stabilizer a bit and he got the message. Have fun in flight!

-----------

OMFG, isn't that dangerous? Where were the props?! :o

EDIT: Ok I'm starting to feel really stupid here... usually when I make jokes people don't get them, but I'm pretty sure you were joking, right? I haven't flown a WS yet so I don't know how feasible your little story is, but it sounds pretty ridiculous. :S
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Right now, Kuosma's BirdMan suits are hot, thanks in no small part to that odd actress and that one spectacular stunt.

Yeah, it was Tomb Raider that got all the skydivers interested in wingsuits.

Or maybe it was that movie that got the mainstream press interested. Silly reporter.

You look like a well fed robin. -monkey1031