TB99

Birdman-Canopy Dock

Vladi and Jari MAY try it again this weekend with a smaller canopy this time, but at the same wing loading.

According to Vladi, last time they tried it, the wingloading was perfect (good decent rate) but the forward drive was stronger than desirable. So instead of using the 84 Velocity with weights, they're going to go with a 79 without weights (and equal the same wingloading). With the smaller surface area, and same wing loading, hopefully the decent rate should still be the same, but not as much forward drive!

There'll still be some funky line trimming going on too, but I don't have those details.

They'll try and get better video of this than last time as well.

Like I said before, they MAY try it out this weekend, but I don't know for sure yet, we'll see!

If I hear any more details, I'll keep ya'll posted.

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

Here's a theory. Don't travel in a line. Spiral both the canopy and the wingsuit down, getting the spiral tighter and tighter until contact. Keep about a 65 MPH fall rate (would definitely require a Skyflyer... the fall rate in turns on a GTi or Classic would probably be too great). This may also better match relative speeds for a longer period of time, reducing the risk of injury in the event of impact. It may even be easier and allow for several chances at docks, and maybe longer docks.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

He won't be using a GTi or ClassicII ... I don't know if he'll use the S3 or not, however.

You gotta understand, with the radical trim settings on the canopy. and wingloading, they don't have to worry about the decent rate. I think they'll have a real good show put on this time around. I think sprials would be a lot more difficult to dock on, especially spiraling a velocity of that size and wingloading ... probably even faster decent rate than 65 once you really start sprialing, you dive hard!
This is just IMHO ...

Actually, I've been speaking with someone at SDO about this. We have his decent rate nailed down to 65 MPH down. These turns are in front risers, of course. In my GTi, I've left right before him when he did a high pull, and he was able to pass me (vertically). In chasing after him to a bit to swoop him, I found (and confirmed with ProTrack chart) that I was hitting up to 80 MPH when I'd try to bank down to him. My forward is too much to approach any other way.

We've discussed it several times since, and we might go for it after I have enough Skyflyer experience. When you've been pretty close to it in the air, you can really see how it would work. It was even to the point that I was thinking, "man, if I could keep my fall rate down in these turns, we'd have it".

Click

Alright ... Jari told me today that he's doing a video with Norman Kent this weekend, and may or may not get the chance to try the dock this time around ... we'll see!

Okay ... something even better is in the works ... it'll be a little bit, but it'll be worth the wait! I'll update when it happens (hopefully this month?).B|

Okay ... something even better is in the works ... it'll be a little bit, but it'll be worth the wait! I'll update when it happens (hopefully this month?).B|

EATING A WHOLE CAKE IN FREEFALL?!?!?! YES!!!

Click

LOL, my bad ... makes sense tho since I've been watching Vladi landing his Velocity 79 instead trying to get ready for the new and better attempt. Jari also won't be on a Skyflyer for the new attempt;)

Hey, I've been doing a lot of studying, cut me some slack here:S

LOL, my bad ... makes sense tho since I've been watching Vladi landing his Velocity 79 instead trying to get ready for the new and better attempt. Jari also won't be on a Skyflyer for the new attempt;)

Huh? what is he gonna be on then? A SF3 is a skyflyer, just a diff version.. :) is he flying some "skunkworks" operation?

Hey apples oranges ect. But its a ve 75, not 79. Not much difference but with a 230lb guy wearing 40 lbs of weight that makes you wonder??? Damn!!!!!

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

That must be one hell of a swoop

Hey apples oranges ect. But its a ve 75, not 79. Not much difference but with a 230lb guy wearing 40 lbs of weight that makes you wonder??? Damn!!!!!

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Ray, I saw you at DeLand quite a bit. I recognized you, but I didn't make the connection until just now. I didn't know you flew wingsuits. WORD!

Yeah, Vladi, is a sick ass swooper.

Are you the guy with the piercing that likes to stab things? If so nice to meet you.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Stab what? The toggles? At any rate, I found Ray to be totally recognizable. T.B., on the other hand, I found to be "not a tall, black, fighter pilot." Though he refuses to change his avatar to a more suitable one, I still like him and his flocknig ability. Dude, change your damn avatar. ManBird, get a grip and don't be scared of approaching fellow skydivers.

Chuck
BM-I, good looking motherfucker, and general man about town.

No, stab as in using a knife. I don't actually. I just think it's fun to talk about stabbing stuff, like Rod Driver's grandmother. No, I'm not actually afraid to talk to people. It was more than I spent so much time jumping and subsequently sleeping, that I didn't get to put in a lot of hanging out. Though, I did party with Norgies until 5am on Friday night.

Click

LOL ... I've had a different one for a while now:P
I just don't have any pictures of me in my wingsuit to post ... or even any other pictures of me at all that are "appropriate."

Yeah, he was my roommate actually. Him and the Norgie Basics.

Edited to say that I partied with him and the Norgie Basics, not that the Norgie Basics were also my roommates. Though one would have thought otherwise on Friday.

Click