fundgh

Suunto and Log function

I am considering getting a Suunto X6 alti watch. I have heard many good things about other Suunto watches and nothing specific about this model, but my main question is regarding the functionality of the logbook function. I assume it does not have computational capacity to give exit altitude and opening altitude, just total descent. Is this correct? I know it is most useful under canopy, but would like to hear what other have experienced.
...FUN FOR ALL!

I am considering getting a Suunto X6 alti watch. I have heard many good things about other Suunto watches and nothing specific about this model, but my main question is regarding the functionality of the logbook function. I assume it does not have computational capacity to give exit altitude and opening altitude, just total descent. Is this correct? I know it is most useful under canopy, but would like to hear what other have experienced.

I have the SUUNTO Vector, and the logbook function of these watches, has a very different purpose, and was not really meant to record jump parameters[:/].

The accuracy of the built-in altimeter, however, is surprisingly good;), and matches that of my current belly mount altimeter. The refresh rate of the display could be accelerated a bit, as it is a bit sluggish in freefall. I like my SUUNTO.

;)

Yves.

This is what I have come to understand. I was just curious about the logbook function and if it served any value to skydiving. It would definately be great for hiking and skiing.

I heard a new SUUNTO watch is in the making, if not already on the market. The new watch will also have a built-in GPS.

;)

Yves.

I have had a few Suunto watches over the years, all with Alti's in them. I really wouldn't recommend using them for skydiving though. It just doesn't have a refresh rate that would cut it.

They are a great watch, but they are great at the jobs they were designed for. Skydiving isn't one of them.

The X6 six should have the PC interface that would allow you to wiev the wxatc log. I personally use the x6hr which also has the heart rate monitor to log... Nice info on thta one!!

And yes, there are some GPS versions too, like the G9 for golfers... GPS gives the ultimately exact altitude info!

Tomppa

It just doesn't have a refresh rate that would cut it.

Before jumping with the XLander model alone (chose it for the large display), i did a jump solely to check on the accuracy in freefall.
The altitude was just as "precise" as on my barometric.

The X-Lander has a vertical resolution of five meters and a temporal resolution of one second, which is enough for my purposes. It gives enough info on battery life to replace the battery in time.
Overall i like using it, but everyone should know that SUUNTO explicitly states in the manual that their altimeter watches can not replace barometric altimeters in aerial sports(See the PDF Manual ontheir website...).
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I have had a few Suunto watches over the years, all with Alti's in them. I really wouldn't recommend using them for skydiving though. It just doesn't have a refresh rate that would cut it.

I strongly disagree, I've been using a Suunto Vector for skydiving for the last year, and the refresh rate is simply not a problem. It updates twice a second, which makes it more accurate then I need.

As for the original question about the logbook, I've never seen anyone use it succesfully for skydiving. It just doesn't collect enough data for it to be meaningful in this application.

BTW - it is true that Suunto does not recomend using it for skydiving, but it does seem to work fine. I attribute their position to liability reasons. If you search their list of dealers, you'll see that Chicagoland Skydiving Center is a officially licenced dealer.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Correct, the refresh rate isn't a problem on my Suunto Vector. It updates very quickly and appears to match an Alti almost perfectly.

But try this on your way to altitude: Stick your watch out of the door so that the wind hits the watch directly, then rotate your wrist 180 degrees so that your wrist is hitting the wind and the watch is in the burble. The altitude will jump several hundred feet up or down depending. The vector is *extremely* sensitive to pressure. A couple of weeks ago after breaking from a three way head down, I stopped my track and looked at my altimeter....it read 3400 feet. My eyes said the ground was a lot closer, and my eyes were right, I was under the saddle at 2100 according to my Protrack. I now no longer rely on my Vector as much as I'd like to. It's great under canopy though.

-R

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

Stick your watch out of the door so that the wind hits the watch directly, then rotate your wrist 180 degrees so that your wrist is hitting the wind and the watch is in the burble. The altitude will jump several hundred feet up or down depending.

I suspect this is true of most other altimeters... After all, they all work on air preasure. I also notice a 50 foot change when riding the subway between when its running and stopped. I think the deviations you see are just more poignant because of the digital display...

Anybody tried this with a digitude?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.