linestretch

Triathlon CRW canopies

First of all, I don't do CRW and really know nuttin about it. I'm selling a bunch of gear for a buddy that has stopped jumping and doesn't want to deal w/ it anymore. I've had 3 CRW triathlon's in the classifieds and no one has even asked about them. They all have less than 100 jumps on them. I know the Lightnings seem to be the popular canopy of choice. Are the Tri's just not used? A little insight would be helpful.
my pics & stuff!

Probably a couple of reasons - they're the CRW version and not the hybrid version which means they can't be taken to freefall. So that eliminates most rookies, and people looking for a casual CRW canopy.

The Lightning is the canopy of choice for big-ways and you can't mix Triathlons in there on big-ways.

With only 3 canopies, that makes only 3/4 of a 4-way team (if they're the correct sizes). Maybe if there was a 2-way team looking for dedicated canopies, but most people doing 2-way are also on a 4-way team.

Are these tri's the hybrid or straight CReW version? The hybrids might have more appeal as an all around canopy that can dabble in CReW but are exceptable for freefall and higher deployment speeds. I have one for playing around and love it.

The strictly CReW version isn't recommended for terminal deployments and that limits its appeal domestically, which is traditionally a PD lightning centric market when it comes to CReW. I've been told that the CReW Triathalons and Lightnings are not compatable for mixing in serious CReW work.

I'm having a blast on my Tri but use my lightning for bumping cells.

edited to add Wendy beat me

Don't I remember something about CRW Triathlons landing like shit? I mean pound your ass in weak flare shit? It's been a while since I read anything about that specific canopy. I just remember all the negative opinions about it compared to the standard Triathlon that I have.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The CRW tri's land BETTER than lightnings. Also they are the canopy of choice for some of the top teams.

I'd market them over here (Europe), with the upcoming WC here @ Teuge more and more 2way teams are emerging and the dollar is very favorable for us right now to buy stuff from the USA.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Don't I remember something about CRW Triathlons landing like shit? I mean pound your ass in weak flare shit? It's been a while since I read anything about that specific canopy. I just remember all the negative opinions about it compared to the standard Triathlon that I have.

The Canadian CF Team "The Plaid Jackets" moved to Triathlons years ago and only use Lightnings for jumps such as the 100 CF Way. They find the performance and landings far better than the Lightnings (although they landed the Lightning better than anyone else I've seen)

Blue Ones

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

So for the sake of conversation, why is it that the Tri and the Lightning are incompatible?

I'm going to attempt to answer my own question, please tell me if I am right or wrong!

Is it of the thought, that if you are matching overall wing loadings, you might as well match the flight characteristics as well? And if most prefer lightning, then majority rules?

Right, wrong, or head up ass? :P

So for the sake of conversation, why is it that the Tri and the Lightning are incompatible?

I'm going to attempt to answer my own question, please tell me if I am right or wrong!

Is it of the thought, that if you are matching overall wing loadings, you might as well match the flight characteristics as well? And if most prefer lightning, then majority rules?

Right, wrong, or head up ass? :P

I'm not sure what the differences are since I have not jumped a Tri CRW canopy. I am assuming glide ratio differences, which can play havoc in diamond shaped formations.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Tri's have a narrower cross section and fly faster than Lightnings on a given wing loading. I do alot of video flying with my team who are on lightnings while I am on my Hybrid Triathlon and I am fighting not to fly into the back of them.

Don't know about any other form of Tri'.

PD

Hey Linestretch
My team jumps Tri 135s and they're getting a bit worn (front-to-back cell blow on one of them last weekend). Please PM me with details of a package deal perhaps. We're in South Africa, but Paypal works just fine.

BiilyVance: they land just fine. I jump a Hybrid Tri 135 as my freefall canopy as well as a CRW Tri 135. All jumps at 4000' msl minimum. They're great.

Having said that, my benchmark is AR7, Rubis, Icarus Matrix, etc. Compared to those...

Cheers
Andre