klingeme

Ordering a new Lightning (For real this time)

The order form is almost completely filled out and on my desk right now. I have a few questions. I plan on just doing casual CReW but I am more likely to get into formations rather than competition.

So here are the questions:

Nose reinforcement, Yes or no?

If ordering a Mesh slider, do I need to specify a slider color or is the ourside tape always white?

Line Length choice 9, 8, or 8.5 (I'm ordering a 143)?

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Mark Klingelhoefer

No nose reinforcement. "Mesh" entered for the slider color - they are all white. 9' lines (for a 143). No topskin buffers. You may want to get in touch with Rusty Vest at PD as soon as the order is placed. He can ensure that your order is handled properly and answer any additonal questions you may have.

'skies,

Bob

No nose reinforcement. "Mesh" entered for the slider color - they are all white. 9' lines (for a 143). No topskin buffers. You may want to get in touch with Rusty Vest at PD as soon as the order is placed. He can ensure that your order is handled properly and answer any additonal questions you may have.

'skies,

Bob

I just got off the phone with Rusty. Thanks for the suggestions. Just to let you know he backed your suggestions 100%.

Looks like I might be a dawg next year.

mark klingelhoefer

Why no nose reinforcement? What are topskin buffers?

The standard tape on the nose is strong enough, and the wide tape degrades performance.
The cotton panels (buffers) on the top skin also degrade performance, tho not as bad as the wide tape.
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

Why no nose reinforcement? What are topskin buffers?

As Frank pointed out, both degrade performance, particularly the nose reinforcement. They are over-engineered (as is the tail pocket option) and while that isn't a bad thing in and of itself, it does add significantly to pack volume when the same end could be achieved with far less material and/or more careful packing.

(as is the tail pocket option)

Actually, Bob, the NEW tail pockets are quite low bulk. Gone is the super duper way over kill internal re-inforcement and double layer parapack. The new ones are more like what one would find on a BASE rig. And they finally put velcro at the bottom!
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

Having center and outside A-lines red is very nice. Also having easy to spot outside and center cell colors can make a catchers life easy(er).

Welcome to the dark side!

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

Target panels aren't strictly needed. I rarely use a target panel to determine where I am relative to another canopy. If you've got canopy and you're looking for where you should go, the red lines are a much better visual aid because that's where you're looking to place your feet.

Target panels do look pretty, though.:P

I had a completely lime green canopy (bought it used). That can be confusing for people sometimes. Especially when things get hectic during fast sequential stuff.

Then during the WR training camp in Empuria my #3 cell got ripped to pieces. My rigger didn't have the lime green, I didn't want to wait for it, so now I have a big white patch on the #3 cell which confuses the hell out of people who don't know my canopy :-)

Target panels are great or clearly discernible end and center cells work good. The 'all one color' or 'rainbow color' canopies are less optimal.

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.

My canopy has an all black top skin with silver target panels on center and end cells and red center and end cells on bottom skin. If it weren't for the silver target panels I wouldn't have a clue where the center cell was without looking at attachment points first. It's dark and hard to see from the top like Raul's canopy.

CSA #699 Muff #3804