chuckbrown

Competition CRW Triathlon

I'm looking at getting a smaller CRW canopy and my choices are either a Lightning 126 or a Competition CRW Triathlon 135. I know how Lightnings fly at high wing loadings (great), but I've heard that regular Triathlons land like crap over a wing loading of 1.5; I would be loading a 135 at around 1.6+.

Can anybody tell me how competition CRW Tri's fly/land at high wingloadings? Can anybody tell be anything about these canopies?

Our national CRW team used to fly comp tri's 120's and 99's at ~2.0, with shortened brakelines too :S

I also know a guy who jumps a regular tri 120 at ~1.8, he posts on here as JohanW. His canopy seems fine to me ;) I only load it at 1.4 myself but who says it lands like crap at higher wl's? Compared to what? If you can land a Lightning, why would you have difficulty landing a Tri? Although AFAIK a comp tri is a totally different animal than the regular and hybrid tri's.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I don't know for sure about CRW versions at high-wing loadings, but I've got ~1000 jumps on RW Triathalon 99's - wingloading generally between 1.5-1.6. It lands me beautifully.

The only jumps I ever did on the CRW version were years ago and I couldn't get that thing to flare much at all.. I suspect with a kill-cone over the pc it would flare better but back then I didn't know about those...

W

I don't think I would get a Comp CRW Triathlon. They have been known to land like shit. I've never jumped one and I don't think I have any desire to. I do have a thousand jumps on RW Triathlons and my 120 lands great at 1.5-1.6 loadings, but yes they are two different animals.

If it was me, I would go with the Lightning.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Although AFAIK a comp tri is a totally different animal than the regular and hybrid tri's.

That is exactly what I'm trying to get some more information about. I'm pretty confident about how Lightnings fly/land and higher WLs (the higher the better), but I just want to get some feedback on Comp Tri's, since it seems that getting a demo of a Comp Tri is pretty much impossible (anybody from Aerodyne, please feel free to correct me).

If it was me, I would go with the Lightning.

I'm only looking at the Tri because the 135 is a nice fit between the sizes that PD offers.

Good point there. I sometimes wished PD offered an extra size or two in numbers easily divided by 5, instead of these weird numbers! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've done a few jumps on an older comp Tri 120 loaded at 2.1.

Landings were fine as long as you landed it properly http://ozcrw.tripod.com/landings.htm. This means flying it in and not stalling it.

The first question that you need to answer is what are you buying it for????

If you are doing big ways - then get a Lightning loaded around 1.3 to 1.375.
If all your team mates are getting 120 competition Triathlons, then you should get the same. But if half your team members are not experienced or super great at landings, then getting a Lightning 143 is not such a bad thing. You can still rotate these at 4 to 5 secs average.

If you are trying to max the number of points on your dives. The comp Tri's are better than Lightnings. But this is only really relevant once you get over 16/17 points in rotations etc.

I think Lightnings are a little more forgiving on Landing.

So consider your main usage requirements and the skill level(s) you are catering for.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I've got a Lightning for use on bigways, but I'm looking for a smaller canopy for competition jumping. Right now, I've got teammates jumping 113 & 126s currently loaded at 1.6, so I'm looking to jump something at that loading while keeping the ability to increase the wingloading. I could do a 143 with lead, a 135 w/o lead, or lose more weight and fly a 126. Personally, the latter sounds better.

It sounds like one has to fly the comp Tri just like a Lightning; as you say "flying it in."

It sounds like one has to fly the comp Tri just like a Lightning; as you say "flying it in."

You could jump it. It would just be a little bit trickier than a Lightning. I could jump it too, I just don't want to. ;)

It is definitely not for newbies is all I can say.

Hi,

We've tons of jumps on the Crew Tri's. In the team I personally jump the 99 with a wingloading of about 2.0 to 2.1. The Tri's land terrific, especially compared to the Lightnings. Before the team jumped Tri's we jumped Lightnings 113 and 126. They were very hard to land. The only way was by frontriser turn at exactly the right altitude (low).

The Tri's don't fit very well with Lightnings though but for occasional crew they're great and land way better.

If you like the L 126 you would better go for a Tri 120 above the 135.

Henny

Chuck, what in the hell are you guys up to!

It's more like what am I up to.

Right now we're jumping Lightnings at 1.6, but I'm trying to get the rest of the team to jump Comp Tri's at 1.7+. It seems that everybody in the world, except the USA, is jumping Comp Tri's. Just wanted to get a sense of why everyone likes them.

P.S., Sonny's concentrating on the World Record attempts this year, so we're looking for a fourth. If you know of anyone who's interested, let me know (even if it's just to get some high quality training).

I'm not sure what we're up to either and I know that at least Buz is going to be pretty tied up with the WR. I might be happy to at least train with you guys a bit to keep the edge on if we're not doing anything this year. I was still only going to shoot vid. After jumping all of last season with my Lightning I finally took my Tri-Hybrid for a rotations jump and found it to react more quickly (accurately) to input. Instead of that ridiculous lag you have to account for with a Lightning it's just a shuffle with the rears and then slam the front risers. I'd be interested in trying a CRW-Comp Tri.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher