kkeenan

Cutaway Altitude

I recently had an experience which, while it went well, caused a few questions.

We got into a wrap at about 3k. One corner of my canopy was around the foot of the jumper above. We were dropped from the formation, and both canopies were fairly stable in a stairstep formation. Since we had time, we tried to get the canopy loose. As much as we tried, we couldn't get it off of his foot. In this situation, I see it as a trade-off. You want to try as long as possible to correct the problem, but need a "hard deck" altitude to knock it off and get on with the cutaway. I picked 1,500 ft. as the altitude to leave.

Any thoughts as to whether that was too low ?

Kevin K.

agreed it was too low for you or the other jumper you are both experienced enough.

Decision altitudes are personal, however, since two or more are involved as a community there should be some guide lines. what they should be will more than likely be up for debate. These guide lines will probably be different for each drop zone or even jump depending on the flihgt path of the intended jump plan.

In my opinion considerations are:
Enough altitude for deployment sequence of the reserve.
Where are landing posibilities- will it be at the DZ or somewhere where you could get hurt whether under reserve or main?
Gear recovery while not as important as personal well being for the jumpers involved some like to get gear back as soon as possible.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Well....

I'd move up the cutaway altitude if you had a choice. If that canopy on his foot started to reinflate, the top guy would have a little more time to deal with it.

However, if the two of you were communicating, I'd say you did it exactly right.

Yes... I wouldn't want to cut away lower than that if I could help it.

You'd be surprised how much of a drag a cutaway canopy has if it's stuck on your foot... Oh fuck, who am I kidding here, I'm talking to a bunch of crwdogs... They KNOW! :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well....

I'd move up the cutaway altitude if you had a choice. If that canopy on his foot started to reinflate, the top guy would have a little more time to deal with it.

However, if the two of you were communicating, I'd say you did it exactly right.

Good point. Add that to the list of considerations. Don't want to hose the other dog involved.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

If that canopy on his foot started to reinflate...

Actually, that was one of the factors I considered. And this brings up yet another question. In my experience, a cutaway canopy attached by a corner with the end cell closed (as this one was) has an almost zero chance of inflating. Based on that thinking, I expected that Eric would have no trouble flying with the cutaway canopy and dropping it when he wanted, which proved to be true. ;)

I may be hijacking my own thread here, but does anyone have an opinion on this ? I realize that Ian may have a different take on it, after his experience at Eloy.:S But that was a different sort of wrap.

Kevin K.

I don't know if I would say zero chance of inflation unless the nose was completely choked off. Trailing by one end cell leave the whole nose exposed to catch air.

Then again I have been know to be wrong before.

Just curious, why were you two dropped? Did someone ask to be dropped? The reason I ask is that I was in a similar situation (being the one around whose foot a canopy was wrapped), and I was able to clear it by doing a 180 in my harness. This relieved enough pressure on my foot to allow me to pull it out of the end cell of the other canopy. This only worked because I had another jumper above me flying the formation, so I didn't have to worry about flying and getting a canopy off my foot. I'm a firm believer in having someone not involved in the wrap flying the formation so those in the wrap can focus solely on clearing the wrap.

P.S., I don't think 1,500 is too low for a slow speed malfunction. If you were at terminal, that would be another story.

I agree! If I get wrapped I expect the person above me to hang on until we work out a plan! In fact, I got wrapped in 1984... and had to ask 3 times before my team mate dropped me... he wanted to make sure that I REALLY wanted to be dropped... (he was right..my main didn't reinflate)... but if someone intentionally drops you without your consent they may be killing you. [:/]Communicaiton is imperitive! the key to survival in CRW.

I don't know about a "hard deck" for cutting away... that totally depends upon what's over my head... I'd really start to sweat at a grand...but the real hard deck is the ground--Rule #1: Get a canopy open before you get there!

Rick
CCS 177
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"