RkyMtnHigh

Shoes

Dozens! For a while I only lost right shoes - at one point I had like 6 lefts and 1 right.. Then Cheryl tried to send me 2 shoes for Xmas, but got confused about which I needed and sent me 2 more lefts :-)

Then later that year at the freefall convention, she brought the right mates to the shoes she had sent earlier. Course at the convention I then lost only lefts!

Course the last time I lost shoes was in a downplane and the guy took em BOTH! I could barely land I was laughing so hard...

Dozens! For a while I only lost right shoes - at one point I had like 6 lefts and 1 right.. Then Cheryl tried to send me 2 shoes for Xmas, but got confused about which I needed and sent me 2 more lefts :-)

Then later that year at the freefall convention, she brought the right mates to the shoes she had sent earlier. Course at the convention I then lost only lefts!

Course the last time I lost shoes was in a downplane and the guy took em BOTH! I could barely land I was laughing so hard...

:D Scott: Knock on Nylon that you haven't lost any shoes yet;)
Wendy: that's too funny losing BOTH...can totally imagine his expression too:D Dóh!

only 2, a brand new dunlop volley over town at 14000, ft on the first point!. the other was a wrap above the dz, it went throught the only cloud around. we landed off, but driving back to the dz down the runway there it was in the middle of the strip!!:)
Deal with it

Your Dad was in on getting you those shoes for Christmas, Wendy! LOL!

Maybe finding out preference for shoes might be worthy of a survey? I think I'm a bit in the minority, but I prefer the hightops - ankle protection, landing ankle support, and I like it for piloting.

And, yes, Renate still managed to pull off one of my hightops in a downplane, but we found it in the grapes around Lodi. The only other time I had a shoe malfunction that I remember was when Chuckie Bacchus' brother pulled off half the sole of one of my shoes in a downplane. My toes were free, but you couldn't tell as I walked up.

Personally i think that you should where low cut shoes like volleys, not something that covers your ankle IE basketball type trainers. The low cut shoes are much easier to kick off in a wrap, higher cut shoes do not allow you to do this.
Deal with it

I haven't lost any, but I was on a jump at the S.C. state record weekend in June 2005 where 5 people lost shoes when one guy wrapped another just a couple slots over from me. We were getting pulled apart, and I know the guy above me lost his shoe on my lines... :P

Nothing a quick trip to Walmart for $10 shoes wouldn't fix.... :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Definitely low cut. I know that wearing removable shoes has saved more than one cutaway on jumps I've been on since the lines often slide right off once the shoe is gone...

W

I don't lace my shoes tightly so they come off easily if I need them to.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Personally i think that you should where low cut shoes like volleys, not something that covers your ankle IE basketball type trainers. The low cut shoes are much easier to kick off in a wrap, higher cut shoes do not allow you to do this.

I concur - I'd much rather lose a shoe and get out of the mess than keep my shoes and whatever else is attached. For ankle protection, I always wear thick socks for CRW (light wool hikers or heavy cotton) and leave it at that.
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

Maybe finding out preference for shoes might be worthy of a survey? I think I'm a bit in the minority, but I prefer the hightops - ankle protection, landing ankle support, and I like it for piloting.

I mostly wear low tops. But I am learning that when piloting hi tops are the way to go.
After I lost my first shoe, I went to the "Red Dot Boutique" and bought 4 pair of shoes all the same. I think I still have 3 1/2 pair.
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

Definitely low cut. I know that wearing removable shoes has saved more than one cutaway on jumps I've been on

Well, in europe a new shoe is usually more expensive than a repack, ask Brian :D As long as the canopy doesn't get dumped in the swamps and someone follows the freebag right?

By the way, I wear low cuts with ankle protection and haven't lost a shoe yet. I took off Hermans shoe in a downplane once but managed to catch it after juggling it around for a while. I gave it back to him so he didn't have to land in the snow on his sock.

I sprained my ankle once in a 2-stack landing because my pilot got stuck with the tongue of his low cut shoe behind a line. That's why you will want to buy shoes with short tongues or just cut them off.

Yeahaa!

--
Everything you know is wrong. But some of it is a useful first approximation.