dmetz

First time...sort of

Last night on the sunset load I lurked around a couple dogs doing a 2 stack. I kept a comfortable distance and followed behind and along side them. I know I don't need to tell you guys, but that was friggin awesome. I had never even pulled high before, so just being under canopy that long was great. I think I may have a new interest brewing here.

?- Should I do something different when packing before a sub-terminal? I opened with about a good 3-4 full twists. I'm thinking just single wrapping my stows might be enough...any suggestions?

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"

I open my pin cover just before I step out. On a free fall rig I will open my riser covers too. when doing h&p. My CRW rig has the risers stowed on the outside anyway.

Single stow with the apropriate size rubber bands would be proper whether in free fall or not. IMO it helps with sub term openings. I also think it helps to not make your stows to long. mine are about 1 inch.

Your riser connector links should be straight inthe container and going around the corner of your reserve container.

All these things I think help with smooth openings and keeps boths sides deploying evenly so there won't be off heading a line twists.

We like the plane flying at about 90 knots too. I have noticed better openings with a slower jump run than with a faster one. slower also keeps the lghtning from opening so hard you see TV snow.

Pay special attention to body position when you pull.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I've got about 4 jumps on my lightning and 3 were perfect and on heading.

I was jumping a triathlon hybrid before in a d-bag and would usually end up with line twists most of the time. It's usually from the bag getting the propeller wash (like IAD/Static Line deployments on a C-182).

If you are jumping a rig with a d-bag, go out last and give them a few seconds b/c you will open lower.

We had a PAC 750 at Chester for the weekend. I was amazed at how fast it climbed, but able to go so slow for jump run. My first thoughts were that this would make a great CRW plane. Too bad that CRW is practally non-existant there.:( Its no fun doing CRW by yourself.
Leapdog, come home!!!

How do ya like it Johnny?

90 knots? Ouch! That'll brutalize you on a Lightning.. I've got my new dz owner/pilot trained well - he's throwing us out of the PAC 750 at close to 60 knots :-) I love it!

W

I guess I'm just young and tough.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

90 knots? Ouch! That'll brutalize you on a Lightning.. I've got my new dz owner/pilot trained well - he's throwing us out of the PAC 750 at close to 60 knots :-) I love it!
After we landed she came up to me and sheepishly said that she got it down to 70kts and added "I hope that wasn't too slow". I just grinned and told her if that was the best she could do we'd live with it.
I like the PAC. What have they been playing on the stereo?

CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

Wendy, you should try to make the Oka Cup up in Lodi - you know how much fun we have! Hell, you could walk away with the cup, and what a hoot that would be. The Washington gang is coming down, and Lyn is coming all the way from NY. And the party at Craig's...dude!

Russ

I wish I could - I had a blast the last time I came up to Lodi. And I do have vague recollections of a party at Craig's house :-)

I just quit my job in the rat race to be a dz bum all summer so I figure I'm gonna be broke for a while! I am organizing a 2-way CRW competition at my dz at its grand-opening celebration on Memorial day. I expect mainly locals to enter so experienced dogs could do really well :-)

W

Dan, you're busted! You're getting into the stack next time! I'll bring my CRW-Hybrid Triathlon next time for you to jump. I was thinking about chasing you down on that jump but didn't want to scare you too much.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything different than your normal pack unless you have a dedicated CRW. You could hide your slider, expose the nose, and throw all kinds of witchcraft in there that you'd regret if the load gets weathered out and you either have to repack the rig or forget about it and get a slammer of an opening on a freefall jump.

LEAPDOG's ADVICE takes the type of aircraft into consideration. With us jumping out of a Cessna right now, keep it tucked or else you're gonna do a two-stack with the aircraft.

Also, what the F is that in your Avatar? Are you having sex with a catfish?

I'll let you know when we're getting in some more CRW. I'm also working on getting some local talent to come in to teach and organize over a weekend.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Sounds good Doug. Thanks for suggesting I come along on that one, it was pretty F'n cool.

As for the fish...I think it's a Bullhead. I don't really remember, the cooler was empty by that time.

No, not really, just a funny picture I found.

Later
Dan

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?"