Calle

Stairstep transition

I think it's easier for the bottom person to move over. A little rear riser, slide over and dock. There are, however, some excellent top dockers who may disagree.
One thing to remember. The stairstep dock, in competition, must be presented as follows :"The grip must be taken with the inside leg or foot and the torso must be on the outside of the canopy". That is the torso must be outboard of the end cell. A couple of 2way teams were busted on that at our nationals this year.
Just my 2cents
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

I disagree, get the top guy to do the work.

The problem with the bottom guy moving from presenting one end cell to presenting the other is that when you move the canopy behind the top jumper you will catch a lot of body burble which will cause you to drop down so even on rear riser you have to move slowly, where as the top jumper will be able to move a lot quicker.

Although i was only a 4-way sequential competitor and don't do competition 2-way it seems that the best 2-way teams will be the ones with the best top dockers, this was always the case in 4-way.

Top docking is the top skill to have and i would suggest you work very hard on this, it may slow you down in the beginning but in the end you will be a much faster and more versatile crw jumper.

regards
plastic

why not, as long as you have somebody experienced to teach you, but it is not normally one of the first skills you would learn, but there is no reason not to get into it early, especially if you get the chance to do a lot of 2-way jumps.

when i first started often there were only two of us on the dz so it was an ideal opportunity, beside we soon got bored with 2-way rotations and downplanes.

plastic

Good article, craig is one of the best top dockers around.

he certainly is, just ask him ;)
or better yet
just watch him, he is very smooth.

as to learning top docking via the internet

???????????????????????????????????????????

you will learn far more in a day of doing two way with an experienced person than you will in a lifetime of reading bits on a monitor.
come out and play.

be safe

craig

The "easy" part of docking from below is that you are watching your canopy and teh foot that you are trying to hang it on. With "top docking" you are watching your foot and where you are trying to put it. Your canopy is out of your view, and you can easily over correct. Smooth & easy is the way to fly it.
Happy top docking
Crewel

ok, hints and ideas on how to do it, maybe a web site.

Think of it this way...

The front of the canopy you are trying to top dock (center cell, end cell, etc.) is travelling along a line (its flight path). Your objective is to fly your canopy (and your body) along another line (your flight path) to a point in space where the 2 flight paths intersect. This can take any number of inputs in varying combinations (front risers, rear risers, brakes, cross controls) depending on your location relative to the target. The key is to recognize the flight path of your target and be able to fly your canopy to the intersecting point.

Assuming similar wing loading on similar canopies, here's a dive to introduce you to top docking. Have someone go out first and lay a base. Then you follow them out and try to time your turn onto their flight path so that your canopy slightly is in front, above and to the side of the target canopy (by no more than a couple of feet on each axis). Easier said than done.;) Then slide over with brakes or risers in front of the target. By finishing with brakes, you should "back in" to the target. A 2 way with each of you practicing top docking during run backs is a great drill dive.

A wise old CRW Master once told me about teaching techniques. He said you can explain all day long, but the only way to actually learn is to go try it. The short explanation was "It's a Zen thing."

Have fun.

Edited fer gramer.

Easier said than done

sure is ;)

A wise old CRW Master once told me about teaching techniques. He said you can explain all day long, but the only way to actually learn is to go try it. The short explanation was "It's a Zen thing."

well doing is more fun than 'splaining :)