The111

Strap on Mindwarp

Sorry if this has been posted before... couldn't find anything about it with the search strings I used.

Just got a Mindwarp, and I had a few questions.

1. On my first jump with it, apparently the strap wasn't tight enough because (in a sit) it was trying to lift off of my head and being held on only by the strap. The next jumps I tightened it really tight which worked and made it easier to hear my new Pro-Track (less airflow inside helmet), but then the next day I had sore spot on one side of my jaw (almost a small bruise) from the plastic clip digging into me so tight. Now that little fabric piece that slides over the strap (with the BH logo and USA flag)... is it supposed to be pulled over the plastic clip to protect you? I assumed it just sat over the excess strap and kept it from flopping around.

Which brings us to...

2. The strap doesn't stay very tight on its own... it takes almost no force to loosen it. Someone suggested that once I get it to a fit that I like, I should take a sewing needle and run one or two threads through the excess parts of the strap, preventing it from coming loose. Anyone think this is a bad idea? Just wanted to ask before I went ahead and did it...

Thanks!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

mine does the same thing, the clip is pretty phony.....I have mine tied around itself to prevent slippage.....my g/f borrows it from time to time, so if I had sewn it it wouldnt fit her.........hmmmmm, not a bad idea:P

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I had a similar experience and ended up losing the helmet when I pulled on my second jump w/ it. When I found the helmet, the strap had come completely out of the buckle.

Call Linda at Bonehead and tell her your story. She sold me one of the new straps from the Guner for half price. Much nicer!

I had to place a small rubber band over the excess strap. The little velcro piece never seemed to want to hold the excess very tight. It really sucks having the extra strap come loose and slap you in the face in freefall.

The rubberband has also really helped me to keep the strap tight. Everything feels much more secure now.

The fix for it is so quick, it isn't even worth calling Bonehead to complain about this obvious (and serious) shortcoming in their product. My rigger gave me about four inches of tac (a thin waxed nylon ribbon-like thread) and a needle. I adjusted the strap to where I wanted it, made one stich down through each layer of webbing between the buckle and chinpad, another stich back up to meet the first end, and then tied both ends together with a surgeons knot (again, props to the rigger). Took all of 45 seconds to complete, and the Mindwarp flies just fine now. This thread has come up at least a couple of times now when others have posted about losses or near losses, and I feel as though I almost lost mine on a couple of occasions, so...If you have not already done so, see your rigger about correcting this issue before you lose your Mindwarp (pun intended) in freefall.

The glass isn't always half-full OR half-empty. Sometimes, the glass is just too damn big.

Gaffers tape. That fixes anything. I just set mine where I needed it, layed the excess strap back onto the rest, and wrapped a small piece of gaffers tape around it. 150 or so jumps on that piece of tape and counting...no slippage yet. Plus, if I need to readjust it for any reason(like somebody else jumping it), it will take me a minute to take that tape off, adjust it, and put another strip back on. I always carry a roll of tape in my gear bag.

Mike

The fix for it is so quick, it isn't even worth calling Bonehead to complain about this obvious (and serious) shortcoming in their product.

1500+ jumps on my mindwarp and never had any problems. I would suggest that you check the fit, perhapse it's the wrong size, or just needs to be adjusted (see the baking instructions that come with the helmet).

I snap my buckle closed when I put on the helmet, pull the slack tight, and then push the excess under the strap to keep it from beating me up.

Bonehead makes a great product, AND has some the best customer service for a helmet manufacturer in skydiving, hands down.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I've seen more then one buckle design on the Mindwarps. Not to mention more then one Dytter pocket design. The pocket on my Pimp Daddy style is great but the one on my year 2000 design always has me checking the straps before exit.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm not downing Bonehead as a company, and I'm sure their customer service is just fine. Like I said, I didn't even think this warranted complaining about to their customer service. The sizing of my Mindwarp was and is just fine, but the strap loosened its grip too easily with too little force. Even the act of chewing gum would cause it to loosen up to the point that I was constantly re-tightening it. Many others have complained about the same issue with their Mindwarps, including at least a couple of jumpers who lost theirs in freefall. My apologies to Bonehead, but I still think it's fair to say that this otherwise fine product (or current version/run thereof) does indeed suffer from a deficiency which is quite easy to see (ie. obvious shortcoming). I have used other helmets, most of them much cheaper and shabbier than the Mindwarp, yet none of the others had such a loose strap. However, once the strap is sewn, tacked, taped, or otherwise fastened into place, the Mindwarp rocks.

Was I diplomatic enough this time? :)

The glass isn't always half-full OR half-empty. Sometimes, the glass is just too damn big.

I've been having the same problems on my mind warp for some time now...and am going to have to tack it in place now. we shall see if that helps. nothing like sitting under the tube and feeling your helmet levetate over you...not fun...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....