KevinMcGuire

Hows this for scarry?

I popped this rig this morning and found somthing potentially deadly. When I pulled the handel, the res P/C traveled about 2.5-3 feet then stopped and just swung there. If the user had deployed the reserve in a face to earth position, or even in a low speed head high position this P/C would have most likley would have stayed in the burble. Ever seen that video of the spring loaded P/C comming off the students back and just dancing around? Not cool!

For any of you out there who are packing this way...STOP! If, when following the instructions, you still are having trouble making this or any other container look good then PLEASE ask for advice from some one with more experience.

I'm not posting this to start a witch hunt against the rigger who packed this rig. I will not mention his name here or any where else so don't ask. I have already talked to the rigger. This person understands the error and assures me that it will never happen again.

this rig had been packed for a year and a half. According to the offending riggers log book, he had packed only 3 more reserves after this one due to a serious injury that has left him unable to rig. He has assured me that he will make every effort to contact each of his customers who jump javelins to check and see that their gear has been repacked since then.

Just to be clear on the mistake that I see from the pictures, the bridle is packed under the side flaps and not over the side flaps. Also it looks like the "S" folds are too long and the ends are down under the end of the bag?? Both of which would seem to potentially slow the PC launch and generate the dangling PC described here?? That is not a good mistake given that the Javelin manual states clearly "Lay the bag in the container with the line-stow pouch on the under side. Close each side flap in turn, securing the flaps with the temporary pin. Push the tuck flaps under the ears of the bag. "S" fold the bridle evenly up and down both sides of the temporary pin and pull-up cord (FIG 13)".

This could have potentially caused a problem but there is a better then good chance it still would have been fine and the launch would have happened w/o a noticeable problem. I personally think you did the right thing regarding the rigger given his recognition of the mistake but it is a good point to note. If the rigger had been less then accepting of the problem when you contacted him, then that might be a diifferent story but given the described reaction it seems you did the right thing .

Thanks for sharing the info though.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

A rigger who would knowingly vary that far from manufactures instructions is not only dangerous but in violation of FAR-65 for doing do. This willingness to "wing it" shows a mind set that needs to be addressed with more than a phone call.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If someone doesn't mind clarifying - it looks to me like since the S-folds were too long, they managed to work around the lower left-hand corner of the freebag. That would result in the spring-loaded pilot-chute stopping short and not getting enough slack to clear the burble. Is that right? I guess there's the possibility that enough force would be applied to actually pull the freebag out of the container. At that point, you would have ... a mess if the bridlewas wrapped around the freebag.

Uh, no. Re-read the closing instructions for the Javelin. The short summary of the steps:

1. Insert bag in container.
2. Close left and right side flaps.
3. Evenly S-fold bridle on the the left and right sides of the pin.
4. Compress PC, stow pc material
5. Close bottom flap
6. Close top flap and seal

The rigger in question did step 3 before step 2 stowing the bridle inside the first two flaps and made the s-folds too long trapping them between the freebag and the sides of the container.

edit: It looks to me like the rigger used the closing information from a Vector Manual and stuffed as much material as he could in before closing the side flaps.

I've always thought the best question to ask a rigger is: Do you (did you) follow the manufacturer's instructions? Do you have the instructions?

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Looks ike the offending rigger made two mistakes. His first mistake was ignoring the Javelin packing manual.
His second mistake was making the V-folds way too long.
Hint, the Infinity manual says to make the V-folds only long enough to reach the safety-stow. This will prevent the whole "stuffing it too deep in the corner" scenario.