shotat

Brand new Sunpath Javelin Odyssey rig came in today and it is wrong container size. What would you do?

Just need help making up my mind. I ordered a new Javelin Odyssey a while back and it came in today. I opened the box and man was it beautiful, Navy blue with Red and had yellow pinstripes with the silver harness. It looked even better than I had though it would. Anyway, I started checking it out and then looked on the spec sheet under the reserve flap and it said J3. >:( I almost got sick right there because I specified a Sabre2 170 main and a Smart 150 reserve which would have been a J1KL. So now I am torn about what to do. Keep the rig because I dont want to wait forever on another one or call up Sunpath and see what they will do. I even called Rick at Sunpath before I placed the order and he said that if the rig came in with a 170 main and a 150 reserve then he would definately size it as a J1KL so what happened? How much of a difference is there between a J1KL and a J3 as far as dimensions? I weigh 190lbs so maybe it would be better, what about resale, somebody please help me make up my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!! What would you do?

***How come all the rich kids get to make all of the jumps?***

I'm no expert about the new Javelin sizes, but I know it would be an extremely tight fit of a Sabre2 170 in my older J1.

I'd think a J2 would have been a better size.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

It's my understanding that when ordering a new rig that you, the customer, tell the manufacturer what size canopies you're planning on using and that they in turn choose the appropriate container. Did you specify that you wanted a J1KL container?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Ignore my last post, after looking at Sunpath's website, it appears the J1KL would be the smallest container for your equipment, but if you're a big guy, maybe the J3 works better with your harness size.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Ask sunpath if a smart 150 and a sabre2 170 would mean a J1KL. It looks like a j3 would fit those just fine. If you asked for the rig to be cut for canopy sizes then they might have just done that. They might know about the packing size of a smart 150 being slightly larger than say a tempo 150 so opted to use a j3 container (I have no clue if this is true, just giving a maybe senario.)

If you asked for a j1kl then you should have gotten a j1kl. I ordered mine an ojk cause thats what I wanted. If you didnt specify the container size and only the canopy sizes, they might have done the work for you. Either way call them monday morning and put your mind at ease, they are good people and they do whats right as far as Im concerned.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

If you didn't specify a J1KL on the order form they sized it for what they think will be the best fit. You can probably find out exactly why they sized it the way they did by calling them.

When you talked to Rick did you specify the Smart 150 reserve or did you just say "a 150 reserve"? I ask because I don't know how big or small the Smart packs up. The J3 will hold a PD160R/Tempo 170/Raven 181-M; it's possible that the Smart packs up as big as one of those which would make it not fit in a J1KL.

Personally I wouldn't stress it, but then again as long as the BOC isn't hanging down at the bottom of my ass and I can arch without it getting in the way then the size of a container isn't one of my big worries. You can easily downsize to a zp 135 main in a J3. The difference in dimensions between that and a J1KL is negligible, especially at your size.

Guess it depends on how important it is to you to have the smallest possible container for the size canopies you're jumping.

I have a J2 and there is no way I would want to pack a 9 cell 170 into it. I complained packing a 7 cell 170 into it. The J1 is even smaller. My J2 held a 150 9 cell just about right.

I would have built you a J3 given the canopy choices that you mentioned in your post.

Look up the length your closing loops should be and I think you'll find that you could'nt have closed a J1 with a 170 in it and still been in factory specs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I appreciate the responses but Javelin containers are not sized like they used to be. Now there is a J1KS and a J1KL, the simple J1 no longer exists. A J1KS is basically the same size as the original J1 but a J1KL is .5 inches longer to allow for packing a larger main but keeping the smaller reserve. A J3 is a full 2 inches longer than a J1KL and 2.5 inches longer than a J1KS. I guess the biggest quesion is whether or not 2 inches is going to matter. (Outside of the bedroom anyway ;) )

Yeah.. it does matter since it gives you a LOT more pack volume. You won't be smashing and cursing at your rig near as much now and it will actually not buldge when you close it. I've fit 176 Lightnings in my J2 and they are UGLY. When I had the 170 Spectre in mine the main flap would come open very easly in freefall since it was stuffed and distorted the intended lines of the container.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

When it's not too hard it's supremely more comfortable to wear, both in the airplane and in freefall. I've had 2 rigs built, and both of them I had sized to make both the main and reserve reasonably easy to close. next new gear I have made will be the same.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, go to your rigger, have the canopies installed and pack the rig. Then you'll see if it's good or not, i guess. At least you will then have facts at hand when calling Sunpath.
If it doesn't work and you specified the container size, they will have to fix it.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I have a J2 and there is no way I would want to pack a 9 cell 170 into it. I complained packing a 7 cell 170 into it. The J1 is even smaller. My J2 held a 150 9 cell just about right.

I Have a J1 and before my Hornet 150 I packed an Electra 170 into without any problems at all.
I did use the D bag from the Electras normal rig (Atom), but it packed up nicely and was not bulging anywhere

Look up the length your closing loops should be and I think you'll find that you could'nt have closed a J1 with a 170 in it and still been in factory specs.

I dont know what the loop length is meant to be but the rig had clean lines when packed and never had a problem on deployment. Mind you i only did 16 jumps with the Electra in.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I Have a J1 and before my Hornet 150 I packed an Electra 170 into without any problems at all.

Different makes and models of canopies, even though the are the same square footage, pack up differently. Some pack up bigger than others.

Canopies pack bigger in drier climates.

Some people are capable of stuffing more into a container than it was designed to hold without driving themselves to hate their gear.

What it comes down to is.... YMMV.

similar thing happened to me. I ordered a TJNK. I got a TJNK.5 did i care? nope. they allotted extra room for my canopies airlocks. I'm glad they did and actually grateful that they thought ahead of me! had a small other issue, they mispelled the custom embroidery on my cutaway handle, but they fixed that up very quickly for me. :ph34r:

__

Note that a Spectre is a 7-cell, and therefore packs slightly smaller than a 9-cell, too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Canopies pack bigger in drier climates.

I live in a dry climate so my pack should be bigger

Some people are capable of stuffing more into a container than it was designed to hold without driving themselves to hate their gear.

I didn't have to stuff anything it packed up nicely with minimum effort

What it comes down to is.... YMMV.

OK Bytch I'll byte:P what's that mean??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

"What it comes down to is.... YMMV.

OK Bytch I'll byte what's that mean??
Squeak ."
Wayne, "your mileage may vary", basically Lisa is saying this is what works for her, your own personal setup may be different due a large number of factors. Consider line set material and type (eg CRW mods will add volume), slinks vs rapides, reserve size, AAD type, the size of d-bag. In fact anything that is inside the container has an effect to some degree. Also consider ease of packing, what may be unacceptably difficult to close for one person may be fine for someone else.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

****UPDATE****
Here is what I found out this morning, the order form that I sent in had the reserve size changed from a 150 to a 160 due to a misunderstanding of Sunpaths new sizing chart. I also found out that there is a 2" length difference but no width and depth difference between a J1KL and a J3. So, after mulling on it over the weekend I decided this. 1. The extra ten feet of reserve canopy might be helpful and in no way could be detrimental to my health. 2. The way the Odyssey is built is that it is short and since I have such a long Torso that extra 2" makes it easier to reach my BOC Deployment handle. 3. My dealer was cool as hell about the whole situation and since he really took care of me before the sale he also said he would build me another rig if I wanted due to the mixup. I guess it was just meant for me to have that J3 and I am going to keep it. Besides, it is Damn beautiful!!!