lifesatrip

CREW in fucking amazing

I did my first CRW jump last weekend. I had read on this forum before that is changes the whole way you see the world, and would I ever agree to it. I had such an amazing time thanks to a great coach, Angus Smith. This is the beginning of my CRW activities. Does anyone out there want to come skydive at PST in Baldwin ON. I could use more experienced people up here who just want to jump and have fun and enjoy doing CRW would be great.
CREW RULES, who needs to get off static line, why when you got CREW

Sorry - we're at Baldwin, WI.

Q - What's the delay from (insert any altitude here)?
A - 3 seconds

Here's a pic where I took my 4-way teammate up on his first CrW (ended in a downplane of course)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Baldwin, Ontario, Canada
Just north east of Newmarket.

Dude that is a cool pic, does anyone else have any?

But you have to understand, mental illness is like cholesterol. There is the good kind and the bad. Without the good kind- less flavor to life. - Serge A. Storms

Derek,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your first crew with Angus. He and I have had many, many adventures together under canopy.

There are a couple of old mid-80's vintage CReW shots on this webpage. "Kaching" is Angus and I cutting away from a Side by Side .. we then did a biplane/downplane on our reserves. In the "Docking Biplanes" shot Angus is under the black canopy.

Angus just told me a couple of days ago he has been jumping at PST lately and mentioned doing a first crw jump. Enjoy your skydives with "Angie" (hard g), he's one of the funnest and finest people I've met in this sport over the last 23 years. I sure miss him living out here in the west.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

CREW RULES, who needs to get off static line, why when you got CREW

Honey, I couldn't agree more!! I'm an all time static-liner (over 250 by now) and finally got to CReW.
I just figured: if I'm gonna need a JM anyway, why not take him along for a nice ride ;)
Did just 6 CRW jumps, scared the shit out of my last JM, but I'm hooked for life!

Mar

I happened to have a few pics from the days before microline, zero p and cross-braced 21-cells made CRW a rarity on many dzs...

The first one is my SCS dive - we first did a no-contact, no-show exit and built a 10-way round we held for several seconds before breaking and building this 9-stack... You can tell how old the pic is since I'm jumping a Strato-star... It wasn't my main canopy but I used it figuring it would be easy to stay down in my slot.

The next one was an attempt to break the Cdn. record of 11 we set in 1985 (on Canada Day at Ont. provincials).

The next two are just from a demo team I was on, and the last one was my room-mate and I jumping into Western University during frosh week with our strato-stars...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

The more and more CReW I do the more and more I like it. I got a bunch of em in now. Everyone of them is so memorable, the pic I have posted now is of a beautiful downplane right over the dz. But here's a question for all you dawgs out there, when landing a biplane does the bottom guy always hit a little harder than normal or after a lot of practice does it get better?

Hehe, sure seems like it. It's the bottom guys call when to break and they need to do it a bit higher than usual. Of course, the higher you break, the more of an ouchie it will be is you don't separate cleanly. Top guy should have the lines over the instep and move his feet around to make sure the break is clean (watch out for shoe tongues catching lines!).

When landing a biplane, I make sure of two things:

1) I'm on top :)

2: My feet are ready for a clean break.

Michael

. But here's a question for all you dawgs out there, when landing a biplane does the bottom guy always hit a little harder than normal or after a lot of practice does it get better?