homer

Ordering a Lightning.

Hi all I'm new to the CReW think and had a couple of quick questions. I have only 122 jumps at the moment and wasn't really looking to get into CReW until I had at least 200 jumps. At the moment I have only I canopy doc and it was sweeeeet! My question is I'm interested in getting a Lightning canopy and have a hell of a time trying to find a used Lightning 143. Its my understanding PD will not make them one canopy at a time but will only do it when they have received enough orders for them. SO should I place an order for one now in anticipation of possibly getting it for next summer or should I just wait until I'm ready to become a CReW DOG. I know for a Fact from my DZO he has had an order in for one for over a year now and has no idea when he will get the canopy.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

It's my understanding that they have to reconfigure all the machines at the factory just for this canopy of all CReW canopies? I'm not sure. So thats why they will only wait till they have a large enough order before making them.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Hi all I'm new to the CReW think and had a couple of quick questions. I have only 122 jumps at the moment and wasn't really looking to get into CReW until I had at least 200 jumps. At the moment I have only I canopy doc and it was sweeeeet! My question is I'm interested in getting a Lightning canopy and have a hell of a time trying to find a used Lightning 143. Its my understanding PD will not make them one canopy at a time but will only do it when they have received enough orders for them. SO should I place an order for one now in anticipation of possibly getting it for next summer or should I just wait until I'm ready to become a CReW DOG. I know for a Fact from my DZO he has had an order in for one for over a year now and has no idea when he will get the canopy.

Used 143s and 160s are the hardest to find. All Lightnings are custom built on demand (ie. there are no stock Lightnings). The lead tie is about 6-10 weeks. I have no idea why your DZOs order would be stalled that long. Here's a few parameters to think about (and my recommendations):

- line trim (sequential)
- line length (143 is 9'; 160 is 9.5')
- slider (slide color = "MESH")
- nose reinforcement (no)
- topskin reinforcement (no)

The PD rep for Lightnings is Rusty Vest ([email protected]). I'm sure Rusty will be more than happy to get answers to your order questions.

Bob

- nose reinforcement (no)
- topskin reinforcement (no)

Why no on these? I'd think that you'd want the extra nose at least.

The Lightning has quite a bit of reinforcement and doesn't need the extra. The wide nose reinforcement kills a lot of lift. The topskin panels aren't really necessary either. Careful packing and clearing the attachment rings is all that's necessary to avoid deployment line burns/snags.

It's not that either is bad, it's just that they increase the cost and pack volume and aren't really necessary. In addition, each of these options has an adverse effect on overall canopy performance, making them less compatible with the majority of Lightnings in use.

Bob

Is it still true for rots that you need the sequential trim, and vice versa?

That's generally true for competion teams. But I would advise strongly against rotation trim unless you have a team that's ready to compete, because most Lightnings out there are sequential and the rotation trim is much steeper and sinkier.

I'm beginner as I said before but, is the rotational stuff you mentioned just the upper jumper dropping to the lower position and just rotating back and forth from top to bottom? Is that what the sequential trim is for? I haven't really asked to many questions to the CReW dogs at my home DZ.
Because, it is a small DZ and it is the two of them all they do is this rotational stuff. Top to bottom, center and wing docks. They are both very good and if I'm not mistaken each hold 2 world records. One just returned from the WW at Lake Whales.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

I'm beginner as I said before but, is the rotational stuff you mentioned just the upper jumper dropping to the lower position and just rotating back and forth from top to bottom?

Correct.

Is that what the sequential trim is for?

My understanding is that in the beginning there was one trim only. Competition rotation teams worked with PD to develop a steeper trim for doing rotations with the idea it would give them more drive. The result was rotation trim, necessitating a name for the single trim, which became sequential. Over time it was found that the steeper trim doesn't work as well for rotation but it may be beneficial for sequential dives. Thus the confusion.

At present, the overwhelming majority of Lightnings in use have sequential trim, and that's what you want (mixed trims don't always work well together).

Bob Lyon

PS - say hi to Vern Bates for me.