AggieDave

CReW Risers

Being only an aspiring CRW dog I'll answer what I know, meaning what I'm looking to add. Instead of front dive loops usually a "block" of webbing is sewn on a few inches below the connector links. This allows you to pull front risers quickly, keeps your hand from sliding down, and keeps other feet from getting caught. Often the risers at and above these blocks are wrapped in something to add friction. Vetrap (TM) from 3M seems to be common. It's usually used like an ACE bandage to wrap horses legs. It sticks to itself and provide friction. Larger and or self opening toggles are common. One kind I've seen uses pieces of cutaway cable to cause them to open. This allows fast grip. We used to use front to rear cross connectors. This was a 1/2 or 5/8 inch strap going from the front connector link to the back. This gave the top guy some where to put his feet and be able to take some load with out pulling up the slider and collapsing the canopy of the guy below him. I guess that's about all I can think of.

Yep, I forgot trim tabs. Used to be, maybe still are, available as integrated units that are just sewn on top and bottom. All mechanics are inclosed and has two small handles one to set trim tabs and one to release. Other systems with rings, toggles, and webing sewn to the riser that is exposed. These go on the rear of the front riser to adjust the trim of the canopy. This is the same as pulling down the front risers but you don't have to hold it.
If anyone knows where to get the integrated version let me know.

i've seen some pretty rigged crw risers...
start off with the "pulley system" that someone mentioned on the front risers. these are often called "2 to 1's" meaning when you pull on the 2:1 handle, then you need to pull it with half the effort you would need to normally. this is achieved by just putting an extra ring on the riser, then attaching the 2:1 handle to some webbing that goes up thru the ring then back down towards the base of the riser. i think that is a close description but may be wrong. i think these may be called "trim tabs" in certain parts of the country (potatoe, potato deal...)
also on the front risers, you have just a plain jane set of thick handles to pull down the riser. this is better then your thin loop because it is easier on the hands. last but not least on the front riser is the "nausser" (sp?) toggle. this is attached to your A-line that goes to your respective end cell. the effect of pulling the nausser is that it closes your end cell, giving you the increase in down speed an increase in forward speed (as opposed to front riser input)
on the rear risers, you have your regular brake toggles, but it is also nice to have a set of big handles sewn directly to the riser. once again this is just to make it feel nicer on your hands.
i suppose in summary, crw risers differ from standard risers by having alot cooler toys attached!
woof