Sangi

Head Down from Atmonauti?

Hey,

I'm doing atmonauti on most of my jumps, incredible and fun discipline I must say.

What I was wondering, is it possible to learn head down by doing atmo?

What I mean is, when I do atmo, I try to take very very steep angles, to be as close to head down as possible, I notice a very very high speed increase (the wind starts to get very loud, I just feel the speed increase with my body and when I transition back on my belly I feel that I'm being slowed doing very immensely) off course I see (my point of vision) is as if I'm going head down, however I do know I'm not actually head down, I'm just in a very very steep angle and I'm still going a bit forward like normal atmo/tracking.

So is it possible to eventually learn normal head down from doing this?
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

there are not many atmonauti-friendly users on this site, i doubt you'll get an adequate answer.. its a european thing mostly, and also the south africans seem to be getting into it a lot lately..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Yes. It is possible, your half way there...Atmo is tougher, I think. Keeoing that fine line of 45 degrees can be a titering process must cant get right, let alone do. I cannot give any advice to you about it at all. As far as the whole Euro thing going on, I have been on many Atmo jumps here in Va, and NC. Check out the Jive Jam 2008 video on skydivingmovies.com. The last potion of the video is us doin some Atmo. It was just one jump that weekend, and we did alright. Practice, and keep asking around!

Yes, it's possible.

There are several dropzones on the east coast, in America, that practice atmonauti angles. It is a regular practice at Zephyrhills and other Florida DZ's. Crosskeys is another VERY atmonauti-friendly DZ. Some other places that are familiar with the angle flying is the Ranch and the Georgia dz's.

There is a movement in northern Europe happening that encorporates the transition you are referring (atmo to head down to atmo again). It is called tracing. Tracing is similar to atmonauti but requires a higher degree of precision. Groups of 4 or more exit, begin angle flying and close slots (almost docked), then turn the angle of attack to head down, consistently turning the group left, right, steep, shallow, and back to neutral.

It's fascinating to watch and well calculated. Here is a link to the Nordic Meet with the "tracing" that is referred. It's about 70 mb:

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=1g99y

Heya,

I started to learn to fly head down via 'tracking into headdown' and then went with a US coach(Alaska Jon) who went the other way(purely head down from exit).

Each has thier merits, the tracking one being that you have the potential to be exposed to some really exciting aspects of freefly such as full angle flight(tracking, tracing/atmo, head down then back over to tracking the other direction).

It just really depends on how you implement the training. I have observed a number of cases whereby some flyers who only do tracking, atmo, tracing then try to head down afterwards after quiet a great deal of time just hitting angles they have real issues in terms of knowing when thier vertical and just general posture etc...

As long as you dont go over the top and do a year of just angles then try to learn headdown, you more than likely wont have an issue.

Its a fairly contingency based. If you have significant funds, then the tunnel is a great way to learn HD. If not sky coaching focusing on just HD in my mind is a close no.2.

Ive seen people with good HD skills pick up angles in 1 or 2 jumps but vice versa(angled types with little or no vert experience) find it in relative terms more difficult to transition their skills set to vertical.

My experiences anyways...:|

yeh my babe B| good idea- first to ask experienced guys at your dz about 'how to keep right direction when tracking/atmo' to avoid crash ;) step by step ;) then ask for jump, let's that guy check your position, direction and only after that you can try such things like tracking and atmo for whole jump. Reason - you're jumping from plane which goes to altitude with 18-25 bustards, mostly they jump in small group, it's very dangerous track anywhere in ze SKY.

:P

Yes it is posible to learn headdown from atmonauti but id try flying on your back first and get good at it it wil take a jump or 20 or more always do this with some one to keep direction 90degrees from flight line and then do the front to the back to the front al the way down with somebody to keep direction again 90 degrees from flight line and then go steeper and steeper but again always with some one to keep the direction becase in this way you move very fast in abouth any direction so if you never want to meet someone unintentionaly always do this with some one and never alone be safe!