The111

Canopy colors aid packing?

Hmm... I'm a pretty new jumper with 69 jumps and almost as many pack jobs, I plan on always doing them myself. Anyway, I have a new rig on order but in the meantime I've been renting gear. I'm getting better and faster at packing, but still have to stop and think sometimes...

The other day I noticed that the striped color pattern of the 7-cell Spectre I was packing helped me out when I got confused. I was flaking the material around the B-lines on one side and it was hard to tell which order to flake in, if that makes any sense, so I looked at the other side which had fallen into place easier and just copied the color scheme.

Well, the canopy I have on order is also 7-cell Spectre, but solid black with color on the center cell only. Now I started thinking that maybe I've made it so packing will be more difficult... but I'm sure there's another way to follow the material seams with your hand and determine how to stack your flakes, right? I mean, reserves are solid color, so it must be possible to make good pack jobs without alternating colors. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Oops, shoulda specified. I pro pack. Not sure how well I explained my confusion, but sometimes when I have the nose between my legs and I start to flake the material out to the sides around the A and B lines, it seems like I'm flaking in the wrong order, it's usually obvious when it happens...

Like for example with a 7 cell I have 4 A, 4 B on each side, and there is some material between each of the 4 lines, so like 3 "flake pockets" that I make with my hands, and sometimes the material is already flaked a bit if I carried my canopy to the hangar nice and neat and didn't get it too tangled. But it the material is pushed way to the inside and I have to put effort into pulling it out past the lines, sometimes I make the stack in the "wrong order"... if this makes any sense. Like I said there are 3 flake pockets I'd make for one group/side, and there is an optimal way to stack them. The colors make it easier to tell sometimes I think. Oh well, I still feel I'm not explaining well enough...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

A different colored center cell knocks a couple seconds off my pack job; although that's not significant even on a 7 minute pack job.

Looking at the bottom skin, you can keep your pack job symetric by counting/eyeballing the lines - there need to
be the same number on each side.

From the top, I've never seen a canopy that didn't have a warning label and/or piece of tape on the center cell at the trailing edge.

My canopy has a lime green center cell and then alternating hot pink and neon blue cells. I did that specifically so that when I packed, I knew which one was my center cell without having to give it much thought.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

For me just looking at the lines and counting them works. Remember, it's the line groups that you need to keep straight and in order - not the colors. I guess looking at the colors helps, but I would not rely on it. I also have a spectre and the only way colors help me is finding the tail quicker when I'm about to wrap it up.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Well, i you know where the middle of your canopy is, it's the length of the lines, not the color of the cells that'll help keeping the line rows apart.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...