RkyMtnHigh

Freefly Coaching

How do you select who is worth paying for freefly coaching? Is it their jump #s? Is it based on referrals of others who've had great experiences? Is it just because they are considered the "expert freeflyer" at your dz? Is it because they are part of a freefly team and have won in competition?

Furthermore, what do your freefly coaches charge? I've seen everything from $25 fee for coaching, plus $21 for their jump tix, $21 my jump tix, and $6 for me to pay for their pack job PER JUMP...$73/jump.

Experience. Articulation. The ability to understand a students speed (learning ability and to understand aerodynamics, balance, control, etc.) Must be able to display a belief in the students ability to perform. Early on, motivation and confidence has a lot to do with progress imo.

Personal experience.....
By far the most important thing to me has been the ability of the coach to make me understand what he wants me to do ....on the ground and in the air....

I rate that way higher than individual skills of the coach....

If they can actually 'coach' well and get the best outta you because you understand what they want you to do and why......thats the key.

Have had experience of a few higher profile 'name' coaches whose coaching abilities did not match their excellent freefly ability and lots of 'lesser name' freeflyers who didnt have the same reputation as shit hot freeflyers but were good coaches......I'll take the latter anyday.

example..?
Pip Redvers at Zhills.........he's not exactly a big name in freeflying but he's a good freeflyer and a great coach......he listened/understood and got me ( and others ) to understand and progress far more than we expected to.
There are some other higher profile names at Zhills for that type of coaching.....that didnt seem to match those results for the groups I was there with..... even though they are highly respected names in the sport for their freefly ability.

Hi there,

Yeah i definately agree with the posts so far.

You may pick a coach who has a million skydives and maybe the best flyer in the world,

...but if they cant relay their knowledge in a way which is best for your particular type of learning, then this isnt the best coach for you.

There are more and more coaches now who have an understanding of "coaching", and have real world qualifications like Degrees in sports pychology and mental coaching etc, pair this with being a very experienced freeflyer......

In saying that, its all very personal, the coaching you find most productive may not be as well recieved by someone else....

but a good coach learns to adapt depending on you and your needs.....

Hope this helps..

Rob