uponone

Fastest way to improve?

I over 70 freefly jumps and 30 of those are coach jumps. I know have a real solid HU; I can take docks, 360's, flips, cartwheels, full stand, etc. I am now starting to integrate a little head down into every jump and have done a few solo head down jumps as well as some coach jumps. I am learning at a fast rate but I'm so anxious to start playing with the big boys.

Here's my question: Money is not an issue so do I continue getting coach jumps or should I make a trip down to Perris and do an hour or so of tunnel time?

I'm sure the tunnel is going to help tremendously but is it more cost effective then coach jumps since I have to start all over again on my belly and I don't get to work on canopy control every time.

General tunnel progression is something like belly, back, stand/walking, sit, flips, transitions, hd.

If you have the cash the tunnel will help but don't expect to go right in on your head. You might be surprised how different and difficult sit flying can be for some in the tunnel. It's different than the air but most of the time if you get it going in the tunnel, it converts to the sky.

Get a coach for your tunnel time, you will learn emensley.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

This is not another "How to go HD" post. I want to learn how to be a pro FF'er in all positions and I want to know what get's more bang for the buck: time in tunnel or time in air? With or without a coach? I only stated I was beginning to learn HD so that you would know at what stage I'm at in my learning progression, it is not my only focus.

So for me, knowing what stage I'm at, would it benefit me more to do a shitload of jumps or to go do an hour or so of tunnel time?

my opinion is to just jump your ass off (can you jump year-round wherever you live?). you gain A LOT of experience going on group skydives.... sometimes you have to chase someone, sometimes you have to set a solid base, constantly adjusting/matching fall rates, etc.

as someone relayed to me, it's some of those crazy, chase-the-base-all-over-the-sky jumps that make you better ;)

GOOD LUCK!
~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

you gain A LOT of experience going on group skydives.... sometimes you have to chase someone, sometimes you have to set a solid base, constantly adjusting/matching fall rates, etc.

How big are the groups you're referring to?

I have a big problem with skydives that are bigger than two ways, especially seeing as though our original poster has just over 100 jumps (if his profile is correct).

Mike: IMO, you should be going out and doing technical two ways, focusing on building stuff. Set yourselves a dive on the ground and go up with the intention of completing the tasks you set. You'll learn more by doing 15 solid two way freeflys than 30 large zoo dives.

Wrt your original question. I went out to Perris with the intention of becoming a better freeflyer and i can honestly say that the combination of coached tunnel time, coached jumps (with in air communication) and jumping with the LO's and other peeps on the DZ helped immensely.

The back flying skills i learned in the tunnel have helped so many aspects of my skydiving.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I deffinitly agree with PJ. Small groups (2ways and at a push then a 3way if you have a well planned jump) are the way to go. If you plan a specific jump on the ground with a few moves/docks etc that you want to complete in the dive, I think you'll learn much more than being in the sky with 4 other freeflyers just messing around.

Just my opinion, but its definitly worked for me. If I think back honestly, all the freefly jumps ive been on bigger than 2/3 ways ive ended up using the skills I already had but didnt learn anything new. (other than awareness of where everyone else is which is critical). But on most 2/3 ways I end up being able to learn something new, however small it is.

good luck, cheers

Start with a bunch of freestyle to get used to controlling being out of control. You will progress a lot faster than someone who just sits... and "nails it"

Do lots of flips and spins. lay out back flips... not just one... do 6 in a row and stop on your feet. Sit... spin, spin the other way. Do a stand up. Spin it... spin the other way. Stand, do a front flip to stand... do 3 front flips then stop in a stand. Etc.

Stand and walk in place. Running is easy... walking is challenging. Stand in a daffy, stand in a straddle.

Do 2 way drill dives.

Buy a coach for a few dives after you have some semblence of control.

Large groups and low jump numbers and chasing the base around is just surviving... and often annoying. Don't do that. You're just asking to collide with someone. It really hurts when you lose track of someone and then go tracking off and hit them. Really... it hurts.

Good luck.. have fun.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Arrr, if money is not an issue, do both.

Simple.........B|

edit: cheers hookit, will try some of that stuff, sounds
like fun

"If murder and suicide are illegal, then why is it ok to kill yourself and others with cigarettes?????"

www.myspace.com/Hypoxicmusic

So for me, knowing what stage I'm at, would it benefit me more to do a shitload of jumps or to go do an hour or so of tunnel time?

I've been and am still at where you are. If money is no option, do both. Get a coach jump with video debrief every 3 to 5 jumps...and then do solos or like others have said even better yet two ways on the others. Mix in some 10 to 15 minute tunnel sessions...15 is getting long...I start getting tired and losing focus.

If it's one or the other, do a shit pile of jumps. Tunnel flying makes you a better freeflyer, skydives make you a better skydiver.

If you are coming to Perris, PM me and I'll give you John Chisholm's number. He's a good coach that works with Mike Swanson etc through the Freefly MegaCenter. He has an in-air communications system, and can set you up with Joao Tambor for tunnel flying. He can be kind of a no nonsense coach though, so don't be surprised if he makes you do some belly work or tracking, etc...depending on what he thinks of your skills. If nothing else, you'll learn some stuff in that five minute phone call.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary