kirrz

FF vs. Swimming

I've barely done any jumps so I wouldn't know the answer to this at all.. but I was swimming today and a thought struck me.

If you are underwater in a swimming pool and doing rolls (360 degrees vertical) backwards, forwards etc.. is it similar to FF? I mean under water you have the pressure of the water around you and you are adjusting your body position accordingly. Could the pressure of this water be compared at all to the pressure of the air when freefalling?
And also, would your body positions when FF and the way you manipulate movements be similar to the body positions when doing these movements under water?

Thanks!

Only if the water was moving past you in a constant stream would you be able to maneuver in the same way as you do when you are in Freefall.
When you are swimming you have to push again and again to perform a 360 but when you are free flying all you have to do is redirect the air to start and continue you a turn. A pool is really very helpful for learning turns but it’s a comfortable place to practice basic body positions. E.g. You can practice keeping you shoulder and hips in a straight line like you need to do for fall straight down the tube on your head.

When you are swimming you have to push again and again to perform a 360 but when you are free flying all you have to do is redirect the air to start and continue you a turn.

Does that mean these kind of turns are easier to do in the air than the water? (In terms of the effort & flexibility it takes to manipulate your body)

In still water the medium used to control your orientation is more or less static. That is, it's not flowing at you in any particular direction. When you do something, such as pushing your arm out, no matter what direction you do it, the same force will be applied against it (roughly).

You can remain in a asymmetric position indefinitely if ya want - no forces acting upon you, except the ones you yourself cause by physically moving.

In freefall you have a force acting directly on you, which you can use to perform maneuvers. Those $20 ya spent on a lift ticket translate to plenty of energy, so sticking a hand out, tapping into it is gonna do stuff.

Which is really, really cool. B|.

Easier? I dunno. In terms of pure energy, you may use less or your internally stored energy, depending on maneuver. I think you will find though that being head down in water is a good deal easier than in the air, til ya get the hang of the air thingy.

Thats funny!!!:)
I was practicing my sit when I was scuba diving in Belise thinking the same thing you are.

Although it really didn't help at all in the air. You would need a pretty stiff upward current in order for it to work along with some really heavy weights..B|
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

In a medium such as water. In some ways 360's can be way fast. such as wiping out once a fat wave of the ocean has slammed into you,much like beginning freeflying. disorientation,spinning, caught in a moment of unknowingness. Ok, in still water it is way different.Slow

You would need a pretty stiff upward current in order for it to work along with some really heavy weights..B|

Or, air trying to lift you up. I offer this example that works REALLY well for a sitflying simulation:

Get a bunch of those "swimmies" that kids put on their arms for swimming. Put two around each foot (or one each, depending on your own buoyancy...and foot, not ankle), and then put one on each of your hands. In the pool, get in a sit position. The ones on your feet will try to bring your feet up, and that (IMHO) is a critical thing to overcome in the air. Keep your feet down. The ones on your arms give you balance and help to keep your back straight.

Try it, it can help if you do it right.

Enjoy!
jeff D-16906

Good feet fly trainer, I like it. Have simulated flight while in water, not using swimmies on the feet /legs though. Had a little different flight today while in the water while surfing in 6-8ft surf. Had lot of speed after a cutback and pumping down the line, dropped to bottom of face and did bottom turn up face off the lip into the air in a tracking barrel roll 5-6ft in the air. Yahoo! Surfer tracking trainer.

Hey,

I have been training in the pool for triathlons for nearly six months now, but about a year ago, I came to the same realization as you. I bought ear plugs and nose plugs and worked on what head down would feel like as well as sit fly. I can say that it has helped me A LOT!!! Maybe not 360's or anything, but having the ability for me to have something besides free fall for muscle memory has saved me money and time. I think the pool has a huge influence on serious skydivers, not those who complain that its too unrealistic.

Its the poor mans wind tunnel..and pro FF outthere will agree, because I have asked them first hand..keep what you doing, up. : )