a97virago

Dolphin container

I just got my first rig (BEER!!!). It's a dolphn container, but sadly it didn't come with the owners manual. Does anyone out there have a copy (scanned or PDF) that they could e-mail me?

And more to the point, what's the flap closing order. I opened it up to inspect the canopy and forgot to note the closing order and bridle routing.

Now I'm not going to be jumping this just yet (have to have my rigger check it out too and repack the reserve), but I'd like to know if I have everything right.

Thanks

Larry Slosberg A-43434

Larry A-43434

Same as the Javelin: bottom, top, left, right. Pretty straightforward.
As far as the owners manual is concerned, you can dowload it from
[url http://www.altico.com[/url] Altico [url]

Congrats on the Dolphin! They are great containers!!!!

Blue ONes,
=========Shaun ==========

For Dolphins and Javelins, I prefer; Bottom, Top, Right, Left. Two reasons, it prevents the possibility of the bridle hanging up on the stiffened corner of the right flap and it puts the right flap closer to the bottom flap, holding the PC bridle more securely.

Derek

For Dolphins and Javelins, I prefer; Bottom, Top, Right, Left. Two reasons, it prevents the possibility of the bridle hanging up on the stiffened corner of the right flap and it puts the right flap closer to the bottom flap, holding the PC bridle more securely.

Hmmmm, i've never heard that. I usually try to stick with manufactures recomendations, but your point does make sense. I'll ask around and see, and thanks for the Advice!!!!!!

Blue ones,
=========Shaun ==========

Per the Dolphin owner's manual, the "official" closing order is bottom, top, right, left. In my experience many people get this wrong and think it should close like a Javelin; i.e. bottom, top, left, right. (Whether the side flap order matters at all is a whole other issue .... but why not go by the manufacturer's directions?)

The bridle should exit top right before closing - between the top flap and right side flap.
Alpha Mike Foxtrot,
JHL

Remind your rigger that I have a letter from Altico saying that it is okay to close a Dolphin reserve in the same sequence as a Javelin: pilotchute, bottom flap and finally top flap.
In the letter, Altico explained that they tested their reserve in both configurations and saw no difference in deployments.
This sequence requires less skill to pack neatly and is far more difficult to snag accidentally.

I find that the Dolphin closing is a lot like the Eclipse and Infinity. Either way works. There are no offset gromets to worry about so either closing procedure BTLR or BTRL will work. Packed a ton of em, only 2 mals (canopy related). Both happened to be when I was jumping them, and both under ROUND reserves...

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

Remind your rigger that I have a letter from Altico saying that it is okay to close a Dolphin reserve in the same sequence as a Javelin: pilotchute, bottom flap and finally top flap.
In the letter, Altico explained that they tested their reserve in both configurations and saw no difference in deployments.
This sequence requires less skill to pack neatly and is far more difficult to snag accidentally.

Rob, good point, but what the letter does not cover is how to stow the bridle and reserve bridle stowage for the Javelin has changed a couple of times. I called Mike Fury (sp) at Altico a couple of weeks ago about that exact question and he related that when closing both the bottom and top flaps over the reserve pilot chute he stowed the bridle from side to side like the "original" Javelin instructions called for. I also found that using SunPath's current recommendation of a 2 1/8" reserve closing loop worked perfectly. This assumes that the reserve canopy and reserve contain size are proportionate and proper.

Tim
Maggot:ph34r:
FAA Master Rigger

for all those that have helped with comments to Larry's requests, thank you! I inspected his rig last night and it's great (he needs a longer reserve ripcord, but that's on order). I gave him my Dolphin Manual (which Mike was kind enough to send me when I requested one a couple of years ago) to tide him over until his arrives.

I packed it with the bottom and top flaps over the pilot chute (I always suggest to customers that they do that) and despite having a MONSTER reserve in there, the thing closed up purty!! Look forward to seeing you jump it Larry!

www.sidsrigging.com
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?