MissMissy

4-Way VRW

Just a thought. Maybe consider a lower division that has 2 of the flyers in a sit position and maybe limit the number of jumps the sit flyers can have. My thinking is that this might encourage younger jumpers to stick with headup flying a little longer before going to head down. Also this would give the younger flyers exposure to skills they'll need later and positive reinforcement to attain a certain level of proficiency headup before going head down.

This of course requires a certain level of skills from the head down (I say headdown but am only using it as a distinction not as a definition of their flying position).

Like I said this is just a thought. I'm sure your hella busy trying to make this a reality, but when you do I think this might be a good way to plant seeds

I plan to work with Missy in the next few weeks on the 2-way thing. The 4-way is her baby, so i have offered to help with the 2-way. No sense trying to take her focus away from the big picture.

We are planning to have VRW as part of the Midwest Skydiving League this year. We hope that having 2-way at all the meets will help prepare the competitors for Missy's 4-way VRW competition later in the season.

It will be an honor to work with Missy on this project. I can't wait!

I've been waiting for 4way to bust out. I dont know if the sport is ready for it yet though. This is where freeflying is going to go eventually though IMO.

the sport is more than ready, i have only been in it for three years(just) and i'm suprised vrw is not an official event yet either.

freefly is going in all sorts of directions (with atmonati etc. no pun intended) at an alarming rate. i have noticed many 'hard school, old core' sausage suit belly flyers that diss freeflying because they can't be bothered learning. this will show them the
huge amount of experience and skill needed to take part. i can imagine the golden knights and arizona airspeed etc. will be watching very closely

there will be really good freeflyers that won't want to take part (just like when snowboarding was included in the olympics many high profile snowboarders believed it took the freedom out of the sport and chose not to compete) the question is more like "is the national championships ready for VRW?"

good 1 missy i checked out the website you look like you've got it covered. can't wait to see what happens.

say hi to wade too if you see him.;)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

huge amount of experience and skill needed to take part. i can imagine the golden knights and arizona airspeed etc. will be watching very closely

The Golden Knights entered a freefly team at the last US Nationals.
Some, perhaps most, members of Airzona Airspeed are already very skilled vertical flyers.

The Golden Knights entered a freefly team at the last US Nationals.
Some, perhaps most, members of Airzona Airspeed are already very skilled vertical flyers.

cool. i knew they were freeflying to improve thier all round skydiving skills but didn't know the golden knights entered a freefly team at the last u.s. nationals!

well i guess vrw4 has gotta be next then eh!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

> So, I've been busy articulating a new event

>What do you think?

Maybe while it's still experimental and not set
in concrete (funny word to find in a freefly forum)
you could let yourself be not so constrained by
the forms of the past.

The only reason it was 4 was to accomodate the
prevalence of C-182s.

The only reason it was restricted to such a rigid
pattern (hookup, transition, hookup, transition ...)
was the totally inadequate equipment used for
judging (telemeters).

You had to have really large, easy to identify events
(hookups) to call points because you couldn't see
anything smaller.

Maybe various forms of dance would be a better
model to take inspiration from.

Then again, if you are trying to create an FAI event
it may be easier to get it through if it looks familiar
to them (it looks just like 4 way except they are standing
on their heads).

But, since you asked, I'd rather see you guys set
yourselves free from your parents generation and do
what's possible today.

Give vent to your inner artist! :-) :-)

Skr

Hows about a combination of disciplines
4Way 'Hybrid RW'
Two on belly and two backfling at all times....
Turning points .....

We have been doing that in the tunnel a lot lately.

Some of the sessions we have done included 3 belly and 1 head down. We where very happy with they way that turned out. We where able to pull vertical transitions (block 6 and block 17 in the 4 way dive pool) Last session we had 2 and 2(1 head down and one standing) and pulled off some fun 6's as well. Along with some random points.

I have video but in the wrong format to share online. I am trying to get a hold if the guy that has it on his computer to share with you guys.

For those of you that were at the Film Festival last year you may have seen some of it. David Gershfeld entered a video that had some of the first sessions we did on it.

I thought it would get a better response from the Free Flyers but it didn't. Surprised me. I had tons of fun doing it and we are goin to do more of it this year. Come to the Hybrid Challenge this year at Perris.
Dom

Maybe consider a lower division that has 2 of the flyers in a sit position and maybe limit the number of jumps the sit flyers can have.

I am not much of a Free Flyer at all, so if Missy or someone with her experiance and knowledge wants to correct me then I will not argue the point, but........ I think this is not something that newer Free Flyers should get into right away. From my experiance this is dangerous. Even in the tunnel. Lot's of things can go wrong when you start adding vertical hops and take peoples air from them. Speed changes a lot and the control you need to maintan levels and eye contact when going over another person is difficult. I watch the Free Flyers in our group really struggle at times and these are not just any Free Flyers. Chris Fiala and David Gershfeld are not the worst you will ever meet to say the least.

Not saying that it shouldn't be a goal for them to strive for, but lot's of time to work up to it in a safe manner.
Dom

Hey Dom, is that some of the same video that was playing on the big screen at nationals. I remember watching that in awe, then they launched the damn thing out of an otter and did it agian in the air.:o Coolest shit i ever saw.

Sorry for the hijack missy.:$ Carry on.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Some of the sessions we have done included 3 belly and 1 head down.

well yea.. but if its some of the video i've seen it's because the head down flier weighs all off 100 lbs wet... [:/]

not exactly realistic for most 'average' freefliers, or even exceptional freefliers of average size/weight...

still damn cool vid... :)

I am not much of a Free Flyer at all, so if Missy or someone with her experiance and knowledge wants to correct me then I will not argue the point, but.

You don't have a clue of what I envision you ask for no details you just slam. There would of course be proficiency levels. Someone with 50-150 sits ain't gonna be able to play, I'm sure there would be skill based exceptions. Also note that I said the Headdown people had to have a certain level of proficiency, because they have to keep an eye on sitflyers and fly at the same time.

This is for people who have a damn good grasp on sit and this would be the perfect venue for raising their skill level before truly busting into headdown

Hey Dom, is that some of the same video that was playing on the big screen at nationals. I remember watching that in awe, then they launched the damn thing out of an otter and did it agian in the air.Shocked Coolest shit i ever saw.

:)
That was it. Did ya like the way David got whipped out of the plane like that. If we all work together we can do some really cool stuff.

well yea.. but if its some of the video i've seen it's because the head down flier weighs all off 100 lbs wet...

True Zen. Fall rate is an issue. David has a definate advantage. I think though with the right jumpsuits it can be done.
Dom

You don't have a clue of what I envision you ask for no details you just slam

I am sorry you took it as a slam. Not my intention at all. I do have a clue as to what you envision. In fact I have seen it done and it is a cool thing.

For the record. The back flying thing is not a new idea. A good one, just not new. I have an old video called California Skydive. Most of it was shot at Perris in the 80's. Has some really cool footage of 4 way back flying. Turning points and having a blast.

I want to see this work as well. Just want to keep it in peoples minds that things can go bad in this type of jump pretty quickly.

Don't know why you got defensive. Sorry.
Dom