sunnydee123

Solos are good...

This is simply my opinion as I have done lots of solos based on what I might be trying to learn and from suggestions of other VERY QUALIFIED flyers....first, you don't have to worry about anyone else in your air space BEACAUSE you are learning.... and second I just think sometimes doing a solo takes the "pressure" of performing just so out of the equation when it is just you and the sky.

I have run across more than a handful of people who don't see the value in doing solos or people who claim those jumps are "boring". Once again, IMHO you are jumping out of a frigin plane for goodness sakes - what is boring about that and if you can't make your own fun and learn SOMETHING on every jump - then maybe you should rethink why you are jumping/skydiving. I think even the best flyer will tell you there is always something to be learned, no matter your skill level.

For me, as I am still on the learning path with my headdown, sure - I like to go out with other people to see if I can stay solid but I also know that going out solo will give me a little more room to "practice". And yes, of course I always pay attention to line of flight, movement, etc. Safety is ALWAYS a first concern.

I feel no matter what your goals, the best way to learn is to JUMP, even if those jumps are solos.

Am I right or wrong in saying that solos are a good thing?

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Solos are an excelent way to concentrate on skills and just have fun.

I have 4000 jumps and almost 600 solos. They are jsut plain good for you. Coupled with proper coaching and wind tunnel coaching you can get good fast.

Feel free to look at the progression chart on the New School FLight University's website blincoe.org

or contact me [email protected]

Steven Blincoe;)

I have run across more than a handful of people who don't see the value in doing solos or people who claim those jumps are "boring". Once again, IMHO you are jumping out of a frigin plane for goodness sakes - what is boring about that and if you can't make your own fun and learn SOMETHING on every jump - then maybe you should rethink why you are jumping/skydiving. I think even the best flyer will tell you there is always something to be learned, no matter your skill level.

Solos are boring a lot of times once you get to a point with your headdown that you are not worried about proximity issues and you are more interested in docking and other two way manuevers(or big way stuff), i.e. you are not moving around unless you want to. Of course there is unlimited room to progress from this point I am at but when I only have one or two days a week to jump, I dont like to spend it flying around by myself. For me, it is almost always more fun to go out and fly with someone else. This doesnt say anything about my reasons for jumping, I still love it just as much as you do. I just happen to think solos are boring most of the time (unless you have a malfunction;)).

P.S. - All this being said, I would never dog anybody for doing solos, I think it is the only way to progress safely (unless you can afford to pay a coach on every jump). And hey, if that is what you like to do, have a blast!

I agree....when I was (actually still am) learning to sitfly..the coach insisted that I do several jumps on my own without camera after a 'formal' camera jump with debrief....and he was right...when you are new to all this ...alot of it is getting the right 'feeling' on the air and I think as long as you are guided in that...in can be a pretty individual thing thing to figure out for you.
And thats how he worked it...camera jump/debrief...several on my own...camerajump/debrief...several on my own...rather than a load of consecutive coached jumps..
Pressure is on a bit on each vidded/coached jump to 'achieve' a goal...personally being able to show the coach what i could do after several jumps on my own ( working under his guidance) took the pressure off me on the actual jump......well at least until the debrief!

"Work to live, dont live to work"
http://www.valkyrie4way.co.yk

Yeah, ok....I get the idea. One day I'll be good enough to go play with one of them there skyball thing-a-ma-jigs.

Until then, I'm trying to make a point, more so to newer jumpers I guess, that solos can be very beneficial, especially when you are learning a new skill.

solos can be very beneficial, especially when you are learning a new skill.

I agree. I really think it's good for someone to do solos to learn a new body position, then get coaching after they're stable in it. That's the best way. (Did I already say that in this thread????) :D

Oh and another thing I think is really great (and fun) to do is give yourself to the wind. It may sound nuts, but leave the plane and just relax and don't even try to go to any position. Just let the wind take you where it will, and feel how the air is affecting your body, try to figure out what surfaces are doing what. It's a good way to learn to "feel the air", a good method to help relaxation, and it's a helluva lot of fun. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

leave the plane and just relax and don't even try to go to any position. Just let the wind take you where it will, and feel how the air is affecting your body, try to figure out what surfaces are doing what

Oh, I like that, that sounds real good

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Someone explained it to me (for exits at least) that the only thing that should be adjusting to the RW is your spine....then let your arms and legs come into play once you're off the hill. Makes sense - now I just gotta try it. ;)

...I think is really great (and fun) to do is give yourself to the wind. It may sound nuts, but leave the plane and just relax and don't even try to go to any position.

That is a really great way to explain it Wrongway (no pun intended - LOL)

Think about it... By exiting an aircraft at altitude, you are really giving yourself to the wind by changing environments. In other words, you're changing your surrounding and/or environment where gravity controls your balance to one where relative-wind is in control. Unless you are SUPER-CURRENT, it will take a few seconds to make this transition.

With low experence or when you are just learning, I think that a good way to practice this would be to put the top of your head into the relative wind - quickly as possilble out of the plane - and let your spine (or torso) find the sweet spot. That spot being an equal amount of air pressure flowing down your body on each side. The more sensitive that you are to this pressure, the better. It is really a feel or an instinct at that point.

If you are doing solo's:

Try using the plane as a reference. From AFF, we all know that the air is moving horizontally, at first, when exiting the plane. Knowing that is enough to get you started in the head down position. Just lean back, in the front float position, facing the tail of the plane and hold the bar for balance. At this point, try to get your body as far outside the plane as possible to be more familiar with that "environment" we were talking about (relative wind); sort of like having one foot out the door of the old and into the new -get it? Lean back, simulate a count, and place your head and spine *DIRECTLY* in line with the relative wind during the exit of the plane. Just watch the plane shrink away from you.

It is important to keep your spine stiff (and straight) enough to control your position. However, you want it to be versatile enough to feel for the sweet spot. During exit, don't worry to much about your arms and legs; they aren't going to help (or hinder) much at this point. When you feel the speed pick up, then you can use them for balancing. Using your limbs to your advantage takes air time and coaching so don't let that frustrate you. Although, experiment with them. Everyone's body is different.

Eventually, if you've listened closely here, you'll fly the relative wind until the point when you are looking at the horizon (except it will be upside-down!!!) instead of the plane. From there, you can use the horizon as your reference point. Sort of like one of those GYRO-electric horizon indicators in an airplane.

Please don't forget to have good altitude awareness while trying this. Even if looking at your altimeter takes you out of the position, just give it a look once in a while. Flying head down will be much quicker than you are used to - especially at first.

And ABOVE ALL people... GET JAZZED ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! Don't be afraid, check your gear, practice all safety issues, and then GO UP THERE AND FLY YOUR ASS OFF!!!!

Listen to a favorite song before heading up in the plane. Imagine yourself flying head down on the way up to altitude and think about that song. Or do anything that will give you the edge. The sport is about flying high!!!; my best freefly days are when I've had a good night sleep, when I know that I will be experimenting something new in the sky, and when I know that I will be learning a new trick up there.

Best of luck on this guys/gals!!! ;)

ps. Glad you were listening Denise. Nice one! :)

Having just been to the holiday boogie in Eloy I can say that if it weren't for the solo jumps I did my head down would not be as good as it is today. I feel you learn on every jump including solo's. And I also feel as a freeflyer that solo's give you the opportunity to learn without putting yourself or others in danger of collisions.

I love solo jumps. Being able to just relax and have fun, can't think of a better way to start my jump day. And i feel that you learn a lot on solo jumps too. I did many FF solo jumps to get to the level i'm at now.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I didn't get where I am today (from belly, to sit to headdown in 1st year) by NOT listening. When people are willing to share their time and thoughts with me I listen and listen closely. I also keep my eyes and ears when just wandering the DZ, you never know who might be talking :P....or when they might say something of use to me.

Thanks for the detailed info David - hope those who need it, listen.

I did a LOT of solos when i started sitting AND when I started HD... and it has proved VERY helpfull... I have just over 400 jumps now, and I just did my first 9 way HD formation at skydive SOBE... Granted, I was in the base... but WHO CARES!!!!!! VertiFly was there.. Thanks man.... Oh yeah... SOLOS ROCK!!
--------------------------------------------------
What doesn't kill you... only requires brief hospitalization!!

Scott, you did do very well. Very impressive flying for someone with your numbers man!! At project horizon (and on any larger formation) the base consists of only the better-skilled flyers - so don't sell yourself short. ;) You rocked it at the SOBE boogie.

Having a stable base is what makes big ways cook at the right temperature - you dig? Peace out.